R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #1021
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok I finally woke up

Got back to NC around 1am last night. Wished I could stay longer but glad to be home.

Grats Chris! I'm glad you grabbed third you were really working for it out there! Your car looked really good and you drove awesome. Good stuff. Nice meeting you and chatting with you....let me know about your charity race I'll try to make it back out for it.

J.Dy - was so cool hanging out with you, a really nice guy...offered to get me some water at the store and brought me back a gallon LOL! Your car was really fast too! It was Jon and I's first nats so we learned a lot together about things that are a must have for that race. You will make the A main next time I know it! Sucks about you getting smacked so much in your races, I know how you feel

Jimmy W - Thank you so much for taking the time to come by during the race on Sunday. Was really nice to meet you and spend some time talking to get to know you. You know that 1mm spacer in the rear did the trick on my car! made it a lot easier to push it without worrying about traction rolling the car...wished I had done that sooner Hope you like the vette body, its served me well for a while now. I think you will like the way it handles. I will shoot my address to you about the other body. I look forward to seeing you at some races in the future

Ok now about my trip. Race was awesome. Everyone out there was fast. I have never raced at the Tamiya track so being out there for the first time was really cool. I didn't do as well as I wanted to but I made the Amain and that was my goal for my first time out there. I had some major problems with getting my car to handle right on their track though. They had coated the track a couple of weeks prior with a tar coating and I have never ran on that stuff before. Traction levels changed drastically depending on the time of day. It also didn't help that it was SO HOT THERE! Over 100f every day I was there. I looked at the bottom of my car and actually had tar stuck to the bottom of the chassis I tempted the track surface on Friday and it was 155f!!!! First round of qual my car was pretty fast, 20 laps, same lap as the top 5 guys. By mid day when we had 2nd qual my car was spinning out all over the place, 3rd qual I was traction rolling and 4th round I got the car to work again well enough to get me in the Amain. A1 my car was alright, but was far from being dialed. Made some more changes for A2 and my car was pretty fast, I would have taken 3rd in A2 but someone hacked me on the last lap so I think I finished 7th. Then for A3 I just used old tires because no point in wasting rubber. I learned a lot about the track while I was racing on it, and I plan on going back to do some practice later. This track takes its own unique setup thats for sure But it is a very nice track, glad its there.

TB-03 worked pretty good out there. Like Chris said, off the line the TB-03 was worth atleast 2 positions at the race. Crazy acceleration. I believe we had a advantage over the TA's in the infield with rip out of the corners as well. The biggest disadvantage I saw with my car is weight balance. Because we all had to use Team Orion 3400 lipo's it didn't add much weight to the battery side of the car. So to make the car balance we were all having to add a lot of lead. Race weight limit was 1400G and I don't believe any of the TB drivers were close to that lol. So with the layout of the TA, I can see how they could get a little closer to min. weight. I actually had a pinion and crown gear fail on me during one of the qualifiers. But I can't really fault the car for that. I've put it through hell since I've owned it. 2 races a week usually, running spools and one ways only, on high grip asphalt and carpet so the drivetrain has really gotten a work out. In the end TB-03 still shined through as a great car. I've had more fun with this chassis than any other car I have ever owned.

Some things I forgot to mention in this book I'm writing So random ramble time! hehe!

I got my RX7 body signed by Jimmy Wright, Barry Baker and David Jun They all told me about how much they liked my paint job so that made me really proud. Before one of the qualifiers Barry Baker was setting out cars on the grid and when he saw my car yelled out," Thats the best paint job out here!" So that made me smile I felt extreme fear in a car for the first time in a long time this past weekend when I experienced California's 405!! I have raced real cars at 100mph+ before and wasn't as tense as I was riding on that highway in Cali It was so weird seeing the mountain tops on fire at night there, was really sad actually..my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone effected by them. California has some awesome restaurants! I think I gained 10 pounds while I was there All the people at Tamiya were extremely helpful and polite. After the race my cousin picked me up and I was able to meet up with family that flew in from Korea and hang out in Koreatown...was nice to visit with them. So all in all I had a lot of fun. And that is what counts. Coolest part of this past weekend to me was meeting you guys from the TB-03 forum. I made new friends and raced R/C. Now that's the life!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #1022
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Bluesxman, I will use it with a Mamba Max, should I lower the timing on it to keep the heat and speed down?.... hopefully I'll have the kit by the weekend.
MOTORMAN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #1023
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Ok I finally woke up

Got back to NC around 1am last night. Wished I could stay longer but glad to be home.

Grats Chris! I'm glad you grabbed third you were really working for it out there! Your car looked really good and you drove awesome. Good stuff. Nice meeting you and chatting with you....let me know about your charity race I'll try to make it back out for it.

J.Dy - was so cool hanging out with you, a really nice guy...offered to get me some water at the store and brought me back a gallon LOL! Your car was really fast too! It was Jon and I's first nats so we learned a lot together about things that are a must have for that race. You will make the A main next time I know it! Sucks about you getting smacked so much in your races, I know how you feel

Jimmy W - Thank you so much for taking the time to come by during the race on Sunday. Was really nice to meet you and spend some time talking to get to know you. You know that 1mm spacer in the rear did the trick on my car! made it a lot easier to push it without worrying about traction rolling the car...wished I had done that sooner Hope you like the vette body, its served me well for a while now. I think you will like the way it handles. I will shoot my address to you about the other body. I look forward to seeing you at some races in the future

Ok now about my trip. Race was awesome. Everyone out there was fast. I have never raced at the Tamiya track so being out there for the first time was really cool. I didn't do as well as I wanted to but I made the Amain and that was my goal for my first time out there. I had some major problems with getting my car to handle right on their track though. They had coated the track a couple of weeks prior with a tar coating and I have never ran on that stuff before. Traction levels changed drastically depending on the time of day. It also didn't help that it was SO HOT THERE! Over 100f every day I was there. I looked at the bottom of my car and actually had tar stuck to the bottom of the chassis I tempted the track surface on Friday and it was 155f!!!! First round of qual my car was pretty fast, 20 laps, same lap as the top 5 guys. By mid day when we had 2nd qual my car was spinning out all over the place, 3rd qual I was traction rolling and 4th round I got the car to work again well enough to get me in the Amain. A1 my car was alright, but was far from being dialed. Made some more changes for A2 and my car was pretty fast, I would have taken 3rd in A2 but someone hacked me on the last lap so I think I finished 7th. Then for A3 I just used old tires because no point in wasting rubber. I learned a lot about the track while I was racing on it, and I plan on going back to do some practice later. This track takes its own unique setup thats for sure But it is a very nice track, glad its there.

TB-03 worked pretty good out there. Like Chris said, off the line the TB-03 was worth atleast 2 positions at the race. Crazy acceleration. I believe we had a advantage over the TA's in the infield with rip out of the corners as well. The biggest disadvantage I saw with my car is weight balance. Because we all had to use Team Orion 3400 lipo's it didn't add much weight to the battery side of the car. So to make the car balance we were all having to add a lot of lead. Race weight limit was 1400G and I don't believe any of the TB drivers were close to that lol. So with the layout of the TA, I can see how they could get a little closer to min. weight. I actually had a pinion and crown gear fail on me during one of the qualifiers. But I can't really fault the car for that. I've put it through hell since I've owned it. 2 races a week usually, running spools and one ways only, on high grip asphalt and carpet so the drivetrain has really gotten a work out. In the end TB-03 still shined through as a great car. I've had more fun with this chassis than any other car I have ever owned.

Some things I forgot to mention in this book I'm writing So random ramble time! hehe!

I got my RX7 body signed by Jimmy Wright, Barry Baker and David Jun They all told me about how much they liked my paint job so that made me really proud. Before one of the qualifiers Barry Baker was setting out cars on the grid and when he saw my car yelled out," Thats the best paint job out here!" So that made me smile I felt extreme fear in a car for the first time in a long time this past weekend when I experienced California's 405!! I have raced real cars at 100mph+ before and wasn't as tense as I was riding on that highway in Cali It was so weird seeing the mountain tops on fire at night there, was really sad actually..my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone effected by them. California has some awesome restaurants! I think I gained 10 pounds while I was there All the people at Tamiya were extremely helpful and polite. After the race my cousin picked me up and I was able to meet up with family that flew in from Korea and hang out in Koreatown...was nice to visit with them. So all in all I had a lot of fun. And that is what counts. Coolest part of this past weekend to me was meeting you guys from the TB-03 forum. I made new friends and raced R/C. Now that's the life!
timmie

you're part korean? does your family know how to cook chap-jae (sp?). I LOVE THAT STUFF!

the heat definitely sucked. funny you mentioned the weight minimum. my car was at 1408. electronics side was about 390g while the battery side was about 256g.

i need to work on my setup that'll last 5 mins in the heat.. not 3:30. cus at that mark my car got CRAZY LOOSE. but then again i just needed the first minute to be good so i can make some moves at the start. the belt cars didnt know what hit them.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #1024
Tech Lord

Timmie,

you mentioned the 1mm spacers... in the rear.. did you add it in? or remove it? (im assuming you're talking about under the suspension blocks?) i never messed with it so i left it stock set up. but im thinking if i removed that my car would have been better. its such a pain to work with roll centers on the TB-03 (one of my few complaints).

- Chris
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #1025
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORMAN29 View Post
Thanks Bluesxman, I will use it with a Mamba Max, should I lower the timing on it to keep the heat and speed down?.... hopefully I'll have the kit by the weekend.
I won't be surprised if the 4600 is fine, especially considering that the castle motors are more tolerant of heat than most motors. The stock gearing is right around 7:1, if I remember right. I bet thats a big enough ratio for the 4600.

It definitely won't be as hot as the 5700. But yeah, you can play it a little conservative on the timing and the gearing to be safe when you're starting out.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #1026
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Hebiki;6287018]timmie

you're part korean? does your family know how to cook chap-jae (sp?). I LOVE THAT STUFF!

Yes half Irish, half Korean so I guess I'm Korish...or Irerean LOL! Yes you're talking about chop chae, korean noodle dish. It is very tasty. Yeah I know how to make it a long with some other things you should try like bulgogi, and Galbi, probably the most popular Korean beef dishes. Next time I'm in Cali maybe we can have a TB-03 cook out or something lol

the heat definitely sucked. funny you mentioned the weight minimum. my car was at 1408. electronics side was about 390g while the battery side was about 256g.

Yeah no kidding about the heat...I'm like 2 shades darker now. My car was at 1427 and no where close to being balanced I tried to split the difference and run as light as I could and be a little off balance...in hind site I should have just been way over weight and be balanced...my car wasn't hurting on the horsepower, I had plenty of speed

i need to work on my setup that'll last 5 mins in the heat.. not 3:30. cus at that mark my car got CRAZY LOOSE. but then again i just needed the first minute to be good so i can make some moves at the start. the belt cars didnt know what hit them.

I need a good set up period lol But was getting there towards the end. My car was opposite...poo poo in the beginning, fast near the end of 5 min
Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #1027
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
Timmie,

you mentioned the 1mm spacers... in the rear.. did you add it in? or remove it? (im assuming you're talking about under the suspension blocks?) i never messed with it so i left it stock set up. but im thinking if i removed that my car would have been better. its such a pain to work with roll centers on the TB-03 (one of my few complaints).

- Chris
No wheel spacers. Right before Jimmy left I realized something I use to do at times. Fine tune a setup with those blue wheel spacers Tamiya sells. It kept my car in check on the middle chicane....at times I had to drive the car easy and that hurt me a lot. After consulting with Jimmy, he suggested I use them in the rear only and it worked like a charm.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #1028
Tech Lord

Quote:
No wheel spacers. Right before Jimmy left I realized something I use to do at times. Fine tune a setup with those blue wheel spacers Tamiya sells. It kept my car in check on the middle chicane....at times I had to drive the car easy and that hurt me a lot. After consulting with Jimmy, he suggested I use them in the rear only and it worked like a charm.
OH. duh. thats standard practice for all my cars should have asked earlier

all you can eat Korean BBQ. DIALED
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #1029
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok I finally woke up

Hi, Timmie...I should have introduced myself over the weekend. I was pitting with Chris. I'm actually the guy that you tangled with in A2. I guess it's all about perspective. I started second, got banged around a little and then caught up to you at the end. You went a little out of the line. I actually thought you were giving me the spot. Anyway, If I was at fault, my apologies.

I watched your car during qualifying. I noticed you were braking for every turn. Was that because of handling problems? Also, I was wondering why you chose the Corvette body? Have you tried the other IFS bodies? Did you like the Vette better? Lastly, I felt the weight balance issue as much as you guys did. I have a tb03 AND a ta05. I ran the 05 in the race. Since the weight minimum was set so low (too low to me) I had to make a choice. Run unbalanced, run heavy, or use the LW ebbro body. I liked the R35 body better but the Ebbro saves 50 grams right off. With the LW body and no weights, both my cars were around 1375 grams. I could add 50 grams to the battery side which didn't balance it but closed the gap so it wasn't so bad. That left me about 25 grams over. I could live with that. Both my 05 and TB03 were good. The 03 definitely has acceleration but my 05 was a tad more consistent this weekend. I think I over raced my 03 too. Needs a lot of maintenance. The 03 is really a good car. I race it in our RCGT series and do very well with it.

Anyway, it was a fun (albeit HOT) weekend. Next year should be interesting.

Oliver
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #1030
Tech Adept

Do the TA-05's have it any better on balance? Just looking at it, I'd guess not, but if so, why? It seems the TB-03 keeps the motor's center of mass closer to the center of the car.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #1031
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Do the TA-05's have it any better on balance? Just looking at it, I'd guess not, but if so, why? It seems the TB-03 keeps the motor's center of mass closer to the center of the car.
for the reason you just mentioned...I would think the ta05 would have it worse but at least the weight balance issue would be about the same at least for both cars. I know both my car had the same balance issue. Motor, ESC, servo, and receiver on one side. Lightweight lipo on the other. Both cars were designed to run with a Nickel Metal stick pack (about 440 grams) not a 190 gram lipo so yeah there are going to be balance problems. Tub cars do seem to handle the imbalance better pretty well though. I was surprised at how well the car handled given the weight disparity
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #1032
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
Hi, Timmie...I should have introduced myself over the weekend. I was pitting with Chris. I'm actually the guy that you tangled with in A2. I guess it's all about perspective. I started second, got banged around a little and then caught up to you at the end. You went a little out of the line. I actually thought you were giving me the spot. Anyway, If I was at fault, my apologies.

I watched your car during qualifying. I noticed you were braking for every turn. Was that because of handling problems? Also, I was wondering why you chose the Corvette body? Have you tried the other IFS bodies? Did you like the Vette better? Lastly, I felt the weight balance issue as much as you guys did. I have a tb03 AND a ta05. I ran the 05 in the race. Since the weight minimum was set so low (too low to me) I had to make a choice. Run unbalanced, run heavy, or use the LW ebbro body. I liked the R35 body better but the Ebbro saves 50 grams right off. With the LW body and no weights, both my cars were around 1375 grams. I could add 50 grams to the battery side which didn't balance it but closed the gap so it wasn't so bad. That left me about 25 grams over. I could live with that. Both my 05 and TB03 were good. The 03 definitely has acceleration but my 05 was a tad more consistent this weekend. I think I over raced my 03 too. Needs a lot of maintenance. The 03 is really a good car. I race it in our RCGT series and do very well with it.

Anyway, it was a fun (albeit HOT) weekend. Next year should be interesting.

Oliver
Hi Oliver! Its cool, no need to apologize, but saying so, shows your a big person. Its racing, things happen Whatever happened, happened. On to the next race

I had some major issues this past weekend. The braking you were seeing was actually 80pct drag brake. I was running a Tekin, and even though I love the esc for most of the racing I do, it sucks when it comes to Novak motors and brakes. I had no finger brake at all and the only way I could slow the car down was to run drag brake through the roof. I usually use duo's and they brake fine with the Tekin. The super high heat compounded the problem. Back here in NC, I have little braking but enough when using a Novak. But in that 100+ heat, I had none....drag brake stopped better than finger brake. So it made driving interesting LOL! Yeah handling was something else that hurt me. My TB-03 has been dialed on every track I have ran on except that track. I did get it to where it was decent, but the car was far from dialed. Make some small changes and the car pushed and wouldn't rotate, make some small changes and the car was on ice. It was crazy sensitive out there. A big mistake I made was not running new tires every run. Like I said earlier though, I learned a lot about what I need to do for the next nats.

The Vette body in my opinion is one of Tamiya's better ones. It works very well at high speed. Its light, and very aerodynamic. One of the Tamiya guys at the tech table was commenting on that someone did wind tunnel tests and the Vette body was the most aerodynamic body they make. Not sure how it compares to the new IFS bodies in that department though. Ray K.( he took 2nd in mini at the nats) swears by the Vette body and likes the way they handle as well. I won GT2 in MD with the Arta body and I do like the way they handle. I didn't use it at nats though because of weight. Its like 160g! I think my new favorite body though is the RX7 ORCA body. It's very similar to what I race with outside of TCS races. Cool! Glad your racing a TB03 in RCGT kick some butt!

I look forward to next year as well
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #1033
Tech Elite

Yeah, I'm looking forward to next year. I'll be sure to introduce myself next time

On the Vette body. That's interesting. I'm gonna have to try one. I like the look. I just didn't think it handled. I remember someone once upon a time saying they hated it so I never tried it. Oh well...something else to test.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #1034
Tech Addict

Yeah the TA's you can just add a little to one side and be done. I usually use a heavy 5000mah Thunder power pack, so balance isn't a issue in that case with the TB. That and I never had to make 1400g, I had to make 1500 which is no problem at all and be perfectly balanced. Another thing about the cars is that if you make a gearing change on a TB your balance will change a little. Not much, but it can depending on how big of a gearing change you make. A TA the motor would be a little more forward or rearward so it doesn't effect left to right balance. This stuff isn't really a big deal unless your trying to run really light. Then it becomes a bit of a headache
Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #1035
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
Yeah, I'm looking forward to next year. I'll be sure to introduce myself next time

On the Vette body. That's interesting. I'm gonna have to try one. I like the look. I just didn't think it handled. I remember someone once upon a time saying they hated it so I never tried it. Oh well...something else to test.
Jimmy W. has my vette, well his vette body now for him to try out. We'll see what he thinks of it. When he is done maybe he will let you try it out. It could be like the travelling gnome of rc everyone that gets the body to try out has to send me pics though