R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #871
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I collaborated with Andrew just a teeny tiny bit on that article. He had a handle on it very well (working for Tamiya of course he does )

The end quote says it all; "With a few hop-ups, the TB03 proves it can compete for the gold with anyone . "

The key word here is "few".

My car has just a few hop ups on it and its fantastic! CV axles, TRF shocks and sway bar kit and aluminum diff cups.

I've mentioned this before but I'm going to put my kit shocks on and remove the sway bars this weekend and see what I can accomplish.

The only reason I put the aluminum diff cup on was that I crank down my front diff to get it as close to a spool as possible. However upon inspection I tightened it soo much that I started to pull the center out of one side, so I went alloy.

Testing at Tamiya tomorrow:

Shocks: stock vs TRF

Sway bars: Yes or no?

Tire combinations: Which X's are OH's!

Body testing: Calsonic R35 vs. Garaiya vs. Old school CLK GTR!

We'll see....................

Jimmy Wright
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #872
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
I collaborated with Andrew just a teeny tiny bit on that article. He had a handle on it very well (working for Tamiya of course he does )

The end quote says it all; "With a few hop-ups, the TB03 proves it can compete for the gold with anyone . "

My car has just a few hop ups on it and its fantastic! CV axles, TRF shocks and sway bar kit and aluminum diff cups.

I've mentioned this before but I'm going to put my kit shocks on and remove the sway bars this weekend and see what I can accomplish.

The only reason I put the aluminum diff cup on was that I crank down my front diff to get it as close to a spool as possible. However upon inspection I tightened it soo much that I started to pull the center out of one side, so I went alloy.

Jimmy Wright
very interested in the results!
Xray T3 RCGT
www.rcmadness.freeforums.org
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #873
Tech Adept

Jimmy,

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear what you find.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #874
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

Jimmy Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Jimmy,

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear what you find.
you need an Ebbro. im telling you.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #875
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Ah, very good point about the TCS racing. I bought this car after running my mini in a TCS race. I actually bought 2 minis to race in a local TCS event since there was no offroad that weekend. 1 for me and 1 for a friend that did some work for me.(That was his tip!) We had a blast racing all day and at the end of the day HE WON A TB03 in the raffle! So I bought one too and we plan to race them. I will do the Tamiya shocks then.
Thanks for the insight,
David
Glad I could be of help. Thats a cool story..most people that go to a TCS get hooked afterwards Last one I was at, my friend won a TB03 in a raffle as well The coolest thing I ever won at a TCS race was a Tamiya pinion gear holder But I'm not complaining, the prizes are just a bonus. The racing is what I go for and all the cool people I get to meet. I always have a blast no matter what.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #876
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Glad I could be of help. Thats a cool story..most people that go to a TCS get hooked afterwards Last one I was at, my friend won a TB03 in a raffle as well The coolest thing I ever won at a TCS race was a Tamiya pinion gear holder But I'm not complaining, the prizes are just a bonus. The racing is what I go for and all the cool people I get to meet. I always have a blast no matter what.
Timmie,

what body are you running at Nats? (ill be sporting the Ebbro 350R again)

- Chris
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #877
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Its very smart of tamiya to do. I appreciate the event and I couldn't believe is was free to race. All sorts of people come out for those and get to see how fast and competitve the Tamiya cars really are. Im not brand loyal but the TCS events will sway your decision and Im sure thats the idea behind them. I think the hop ups are just as addicting. I don't even have the car yet and I have been buying up parts. It wasn't shipped to my LHS when it was supposed to be so I have been waiting. I can't wait to build it. I've learned so much from the write up and this thread I can't wait to put it all to good use. Plus my friends drive Xrays and I need to dole out some lovin.
Xray T3 RCGT
www.rcmadness.freeforums.org
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #878
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinzo View Post
One question about the 13.5T series:

Which motors do you choose? I mean i am new in all that BL stuff and i bought a 6.5T Orion motor a first. For real racing it's way too powerful and the runtime isn't that long. About 20 minutes i can drive with a 5200 robitronic LiPo. How much runtime can i get out of a 5200 LiPo with a 13.5T Motor?

GM racing is built in germany. The prices are good here. Is a GM motor recommendable?
Wow 20 min with a 6.5? I need to order some of those lipo's! As far as runtime with a 13.5, i have no idea but probably 30-35 min if your getting that much time with a 6.5. How much voltage is left after 20 min with a 6.5? I like Express Duo's. Can handle overheating well in case your geared wrong and have a lot of power. With my speed controller and a Express 17.5 I'm only a tenth or two off from 13.5 times on bigger tracks. After this TCS nationals race, I'm going to do some videos of me pushing the TB very hard. I want to try and disprove some stuff people are saying about shaft drive I'll take one of me running a 13.5 duo so you can see the speed.

Oh and I haven't heard anything of the GM motors, is it there own design or shared design do you know?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #879
Tech Initiate

Hi guys , Im a noob here and in R/C in general but since we sharing some tip and trick , I like to share one of the first I did. Nobody ever mention it in 50+ page of thread so maybe its not so important after all.

One thing I realize while looking at the bearing and upright is there is a gap between the 2 bearing inside the upright. This gap its not so good for the bearing life and efficiency. So I fill them with 5 mm shim .

Last week I look at the 416 manual and the 416 use some spacer there 5mm X1,5mm (part BH1 or 9804372) so after all its probably a good idea, what is good for 416 is good for the tb-03 too

Im gonna try to put my hand on that part to get all my shim back ( took almost 2 bag).
Group B Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #880
Tech Addict

I wanted to add something to what everyone was listing about needed hop up parts for racing. Hex headed screws!!! If your going into your car a lot, no matter how awesome your screwdriver is, everytime you use it on the screws its wearing the screw out. And then if something happens at a race and you need to say...change a bent suspension block out, you'll be cussing Its cheap to do. If you want to save money do what I do. Order the screw bag kits from higher end Tamiya cars 415, 416, evo. I usually get these from ampdraw.com. And if your looking for a particular size, just pull the manual off of Tamiya's website and the instructions for the car will have screw bag a,b,c etc listed with what is in that bag. Like we have TB03's so the high end car would be evo series. Most of the screws are the same. If you had a TA05, look at the kits for 415,416.

I am glad that the guys at Tamiya took the time to write that article out for the TB03. It is a good to show people some things to look out for when building the car, and also show what they offer to help the owners custom tune there car. They are supporting the chassis and the customers and thats always a good thing

Everyone listed very good upgrades to use to get a TB out to the track. But you know what I like best about everyones lists? That none of them are long

In my opinion, no one is wrong about the list they see is needed for racing. Because it comes down to personal preference on what the owner feels he needs to win. I'm glad that you all share your opinions because it might help a person viewing this thread that is looking for a solution to a problem with his TB03 at the track, learn about how they can fix it with one simple item. Thats really cool to me. Thanks guys!

As far as what I think I would need bare minimum to race 17.5/stock class on a club level and they didn't spec what kind of tires to run...

1 - Race tires
2 - Steering upgrade kit (Or Fat500's mod a few pages back to the kit parts...that was good stuff)
3 - Upgraded servo saver
4 - Spring kit
5- Hex head screws

To be a nightmare to people in 17.5/13.5/10.5 driving high end cars......
This isn't a ranked by order list...I feel I would need everything.

Suspension block assortment, (.5,1mm,2mm,3mm) shim kit, steering upgrade, servo saver, Race tires, hex head ball studs and screws, aluminum rear diff, aluminum drive shaft cups, CV axles (steel fronts, aluminum rears), Spool/oneway, spring kit, TRF shocks, and carbon suspension.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #881
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
Timmie,

what body are you running at Nats? (ill be sporting the Ebbro 350R again)

- Chris
I'm pretty confident it will be RX7 race car. I like the way it looks and I think it will handle to my liking. I have a NSX and a Ebbro as well. They are awesome as well but think I will save them for TCS racing next year. I have a thing for RX-7's in real life anyways so thats my other reason. Nothing like the sound of a rotary at full song Well, if your into RX-7s anyway hehe

By the way Chris, can you point me to a recommended local hobby shop near the track? I need to get motor spray, etc and don't think they'll let me on the plane with the stuff
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #882
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Its very smart of tamiya to do. I appreciate the event and I couldn't believe is was free to race. All sorts of people come out for those and get to see how fast and competitve the Tamiya cars really are. Im not brand loyal but the TCS events will sway your decision and Im sure thats the idea behind them. I think the hop ups are just as addicting. I don't even have the car yet and I have been buying up parts. It wasn't shipped to my LHS when it was supposed to be so I have been waiting. I can't wait to build it. I've learned so much from the write up and this thread I can't wait to put it all to good use. Plus my friends drive Xrays and I need to dole out some lovin.
I can tell your excited Thats good! Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Wow so weird...we both have friends that won a TB03 raffle.....plus most of our friends drive Xrays LOL! I don't try to knock other brands of cars, everyone makes nice cars these days. But beating the high end cars with a plastic Tamiya is pretty sweet Wait till you get your car, the chassis has a recycle logo molded in the bottom of the chassis! LMAO!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #883
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group B Monster View Post
Hi guys , Im a noob here and in R/C in general but since we sharing some tip and trick , I like to share one of the first I did. Nobody ever mention it in 50+ page of thread so maybe its not so important after all.

One thing I realize while looking at the bearing and upright is there is a gap between the 2 bearing inside the upright. This gap its not so good for the bearing life and efficiency. So I fill them with 5 mm shim .

Last week I look at the 416 manual and the 416 use some spacer there 5mm X1,5mm (part BH1 or 9804372) so after all its probably a good idea, what is good for 416 is good for the tb-03 too

Im gonna try to put my hand on that part to get all my shim back ( took almost 2 bag).
Wow great tip! I did this to mine but forgot about mentioning it. Awesome job!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #884
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

2 - Steering upgrade kit (Or Fat500's mod a few pages back to the kit parts...that was good stuff)

Do you mean Alum Racing Steering Set (Item #54095), also do i need TB03 Carbon Steering Link (Item #54097)
Phat-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #885
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat-Boy View Post

Do you mean Alum Racing Steering Set (Item #54095), also do i need TB03 Carbon Steering Link (Item #54097)
Yes, you need both. I should have clarified that. Thanks for posting the #numbers. When I said kit that was misleading. I wish they did offer it as a kit containing both part numbers, but since the aluminum racing steering set is the same upgrade used with the TA05, a chassis that uses a different designed steering link, The TA05 owners would be paying more for a included part that they couldn't use.