R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #781
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinzo View Post
I'm between buying a high performance car or building one with my hands. No question about which opportunity would be more expensive. The TB-03 got this beautifully arranged inside front shocks. The TB EVO has not. I think this is the point why to start up building a CF-deck TB-03 (IFS). I still want the Takata NSX body which won't fit a TB EVO.
Get Both! I run the TB-03 for drifts while a TB Evo 5MS for touring. Enjoying them a great deal.
BTW, I'm running a old Tamiya NSX cover on my MS. Don't know which version because its a hand me down thingy.
Only concern is parts support for the MS.

Cheers!!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #782
Tech Initiate

Must be the 2004 Raybrig NSX. It's made for the TT-01 chassis.
Glinzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #783
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
It's really good to see this thread jumping!

I'm really enjoying this car waaayy too much.

As Timmie said Hop Ups can be addicting but I'm staying as stock as possible.

In the series I'm running (RCGT Showdown) my two top competitors are (supposedly) running stock out of the box JL10 and Cyclone cars. Though the Cyclone is a bit out of the "Budget" range the JL-10 is priced right along the TB03. (Although you only get a chassis kit, no wheels tires, motor or body) it's $130 price tag is attractive to new comers.

Soooo, I will be testing the stock shocks this weekend and building them to match the performance of my TRF's (or there about)

I also may take it a step further and ditch the sway bars. We'll see how it goes.

Jimmy W
I am happy that the car is getting the attention it deserves Its nice to have you chime in as well being a TRF driver, showing support for the racers Thanks a lot!

I think I have a good idea why your going back to stock, and I guess in a way its a complement to your skills and the cars capability Its easy for some to say YOUR hopups beat them. It's harder for people to admit that YOU handed them their ass on the track Jimmy Wright for president k?

The TB03 like you said really is a 120-130 USD car when you look at what you're getting. The bodies sell for 25-50 dollars usually..*Best bodies in R/C for detail and scale* realistic rims that match the body set you decided on, and decent tires to check the car out and have some fun after your build. Some of the other companies may offer the same deal.... chassis, body, etc but their included items don't compare at all with what comes with the Tamiya's. People that buy a $130 dollar chassis on low price point alone, should keep in mind they still need a body, and tires to even drive it.

Go ahead and ditch the sways....no worries. TB03 in my opinion is faster without sways in most situations. Only thing you might not like are highspeed switchbacks, the rear has to be set or you can fishtail some.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #784
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Go ahead and ditch the sways....no worries. TB03 in my opinion is faster without sways in most situations. Only thing you might not like are highspeed switchbacks, the rear has to be set or you can fishtail some.
Installing a standard servo may solve this problem. It' simply too slow for highspeed switchbacks

btw: Which servo do you recommend? Is there enough space in a TB-03 for my 40x40mm ESC, a servo with standard measurement and the motor?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #785
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I am happy that the car is getting the attention it deserves Its nice to have you chime in as well being a TRF driver, showing support for the racers Thanks a lot!

I think I have a good idea why your going back to stock, and I guess in a way its a complement to your skills and the cars capability Its easy for some to say YOUR hopups beat them. It's harder for people to admit that YOU handed them their ass on the track Jimmy Wright for president k?

The TB03 like you said really is a 120-130 USD car when you look at what you're getting. The bodies sell for 25-50 dollars usually..*Best bodies in R/C for detail and scale* realistic rims that match the body set you decided on, and decent tires to check the car out and have some fun after your build. Some of the other companies may offer the same deal.... chassis, body, etc but their included items don't compare at all with what comes with the Tamiya's. People that buy a $130 dollar chassis on low price point alone, should keep in mind they still need a body, and tires to even drive it.

im finding out hopups are more for bling factor/durability than performance gain.

like the rocker arms.. really dont need the aluminum ones. but they are more durable.

the ONLY required hopups for this car are the universals. and springs. but then again EVERY car needs a spring set for tuning purposes. im pretty sure the "other" car is using springs that aren't from the kit.

eventually EVERYONE hops up their cars. don't blame/hate on tamiya for having a hopup structure than lets you go small.. or crazy.

Jimmy W. for president? sure.. as long as im the Secretary of Defense
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #786
Tech Addict

Quote:
Installing a standard servo may solve this problem. It' simply too slow for highspeed switchbacks

Quote:
: Which servo do you recommend? Is there enough space in a TB-03 for my 40x40mm ESC, a servo with standard measurement and the motor?
Well things have changed recently here....tc weight went from 1500G to 1420G. So I might run a short case servo in my TB to help get the weight down. Not sure yet, have to do some weighing. Currently I have a full size JR race servo can't remember the model but its really, really fast and very strong. I like running full size servo's because it helps put some weight in the front of the car. Another bonus to full size servo is they don't strip gears as easily usually. As far as brand I usually run Futaba. All the companies are pretty good though. Yeah you will have plenty of room on the chassis. You can see how much room I have in the pics I posted earlier in the thread.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #787
Tech Initiate

How about this one?

Bluebird BMS-706MG:

- metal gears
- 42mm x 21,5mm x 22mm (low profile)
- 32 grams
- @ 6,0V 0,11sec/60deg
- @ 4,8V 0,13sec/60deg
- @ 4,8V 4,6 kg/cm
- @ 6,0V 5,4 kg/cm
- fits Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, etc.
- connector for JR / Graupner / Futaba bzw Robbe / Hitec

Price here is 20 EUR each

I ran full size servos of Hitec, Graupner/JR, Sanwa, acoms and T2M (Hitec France). I never had problems with the gears by now.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #788
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
the ONLY required hopups for this car are the universals. and springs. but then again EVERY car needs a spring set for tuning purposes. im pretty sure the "other" car is using springs that aren't from the kit.
I've have to add the steering set, steering link and servo saver. I think those and springs trump any handling upgrade you can do.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #789
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:

Thanks Timmie! As long as there isn't a nitro off road event happening the weekend of the TCS I should be there to help out.

I'll be out this weekend testing the TB. I may hit up Tamiya Saturday to get some set ups for racing Sunday. I definately want to try the shocks back to back AND my new Garaiya body.......

I've got some ideas for suspension and tire tuning to help with the "missing" sway bars". But I will heed your warning tahnks.

What suspension blocks have you been running? I'm still learning about them. What was/is the difference between a "1D" and just a "D" block. I can't seem to find any info out there. (I guess I could email Mr. Jun.... DUH!)

Anywho.... Lets keep this going.

Jimmy W
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Well, some good news from the organizers at the RCGT Showdown over on there thread in the racing forum section.

It seems a TB03 is leading the Pro RCGT points series.....

(With one throwout taken for the three rounds already run out of the two TO's that will be alotted for the six rounds)

Straight points no TO's taken I'm sitting 3rd.

Jimmy W
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #791
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Timmie! As long as there isn't a nitro off road event happening the weekend of the TCS I should be there to help out.

I'll be out this weekend testing the TB. I may hit up Tamiya Saturday to get some set ups for racing Sunday. I definately want to try the shocks back to back AND my new Garaiya body.......

I've got some ideas for suspension and tire tuning to help with the "missing" sway bars". But I will heed your warning tahnks.

What suspension blocks have you been running? I'm still learning about them. What was/is the difference between a "1D" and just a "D" block. I can't seem to find any info out there. (I guess I could email Mr. Jun.... DUH!)

Jimmy W
saturday? you'll be there? OOOOOOOOO... ill bring BOTH of my TB-03s out

gairaiya body.. YUCK...

a "D" block sits 1mm higher than a 1D. also.. the new style blocks (the lettering/graphics for the "1D" are different) can be flipped over to be used as bridge blocks (flat spot incorporated). the older style only certain blocks could be flipped over.

as sean connery would say.. "thus endeth the lesson"
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #792
Tech Addict

Quote:
How about this one?

Bluebird BMS-706MG:

- metal gears
- 42mm x 21,5mm x 22mm (low profile)
- 32 grams
- @ 6,0V 0,11sec/60deg
- @ 4,8V 0,13sec/60deg
- @ 4,8V 4,6 kg/cm
- @ 6,0V 5,4 kg/cm
- fits Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, etc.
- connector for JR / Graupner / Futaba bzw Robbe / Hitec

Price here is 20 EUR each

I ran full size servos of Hitec, Graupner/JR, Sanwa, acoms and T2M (Hitec France). I never had problems with the gears by now.
Ok I just got home and looked at what I have on the TB. Its a JR DZ8450. It's specs are .08 sec/60 deg 188 oz/in at 6.0v. It's a oldie but goodie. Came out of my 1/8 buggy hehe

Wow 20eur each? that's awesome. I might have to try one out in my next car. Yeah the specs are right inline with the Futaba s9550 I use on the 416. If they hold their center good I say go for it.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #793
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
I've have to add the steering set, steering link and servo saver. I think those and springs trump any handling upgrade you can do.
+1

Only thing Chris left out I lose sleep at night if one of my cars have steering slop
Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #794
Tech Addict

Quote:

Jimmy W
Awesome that would be cool if you can make it! I'm really pumped about going..I'll be easy to spot....I'll be the guy wearing the "Vote for Jimmy W." shirt

I think you will like the Garaiya body. I really liked mine handling wise, good steering.

Dang Chris beat me with the answer about the blocks *pokes Chris* But like he said, It is another adjustment for roll center. I like running 1C/1C front and 1XA/1D rear for 17.5 because it helps with steering, and gives me enough rear traction to pitch it into turns hard and back on throttle fast. 1D/1D front is what I will use sometimes if the track is very fast and flowing to get some more stability. It's nice to be able to change the width of the car front and rear to better suit your driving.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #795
Tech Adept

Quote:
Is there enough space in a TB-03 for my 40x40mm ESC, a servo with standard measurement and the motor?
I've fit a Sidewinder ESC with Castle's 5700 motor in my TB-03 with a standard servo and room to spare. The Sidewinder is 46mm x 36mm. I ran the 46mm length from the motor to ESC rather than side to shaft.

A standard servo shouldn't cramp your ESC.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote