R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #616
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Land Down under
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I have both, and ive run them back to back in the same conditions.
Wana know which is best?
__________________
Eat more possum!
Lees52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #617
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Yeah I bought my plane ticket the other day That's cool! Maybe I can try to sneak away for a race on that track while I'm there...would be cool to meet up with ya'll and race and stuff I'm there from early Friday to Monday afternoon. Flying into SNA.
cool deal. ill be at tamiya on friday before nats.... we'll see you then.
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #618
Tech Addict
 
sonic31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hollywood,FL.
Posts: 594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

which is best? personally i like the ta05v2.
__________________
Tamiya TRF418 SAMIX / KO Propo / Tekin RS Pro / Spektrum
sonic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #619
Tech Adept
 
bluesxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic31 View Post
which is best? personally i like the ta05v2.
Well, I'd say TB-03 for slower motors or dirty tracks and the TA-05v2 for powerful motors and pristine tracks. Ignoring shaft vs belt, they're both pretty similar and I doubt you'll be disappointed with either. Their steering is similar, but once that's fixed, they should be awesome.

Looks like you can use the TB-03 steering set upgrade (54095) on the v2 but the v2's steering link is different and I don't think there's an upgrade for the link. I'm guessing the link wont matter, but I know for a fact that once upgraded, the TB-03's steering is rock solid.

I guess one thing the TB-03 has going for it is that it has a year of people shaking it out.

Last edited by bluesxman; 08-07-2009 at 07:37 AM.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #620
Tech Addict
 
sonic31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hollywood,FL.
Posts: 594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

uh... shaken, not stirred lol, i guess i can make my decision much easier now. lets wait and see what happens
__________________
Tamiya TRF418 SAMIX / KO Propo / Tekin RS Pro / Spektrum
sonic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #621
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

Mark, your ride height problem may have been a part of your issue. Also the last two times you were at the track, the environment, and lots of rubber made it REALLY sticky... When you get to the track on Saturday, we can work on the car to get those nasty traction issues resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
the surface we race on has uber traction. If you step in the right spot your shoe will come off really. Last time I raced I tracton rolled in 80% of the corners. What is the best way to reduce traction rolling? softer springs? LMK what works best for you fellow tb03 racers
And don't give me the shaft....get it?

using hpi xpattern and 17.5 per our spec rules
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #622
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Well I had the first run with the car and i am impressed. We run on a high traction surface and I started with the kit set-up running belted hpi x patterns with a lrp 17.5 geared at 3.9 - 76/46.
The car was plenty fast and the motor was temping at 145 deg after about 5 min so i may go to a 3.7. The main problem I had was not enough steering.
Mainly high speed on power push and low speed off power push. I really had to use the brakes just to get the car to turn in. Springs, I started with blue up front and yellow in the rear . I let a couple of the fast guys drive the car and they all had great things to say about it. They could drive it so fast I was amazed. But, I was trying to set up to my driving style so I started listening to their advice. In the end I changed to red springs up-front with blue in the rear. The car was 75% better and I only had to touch the brakes on two tight corners. Overall I am very happy with the car and will continue to play with setup. Any advice for setup is great
Only damage was a ball stud coming out of the rear hub carrier on the left side. Car is very fast and uber smooth. Just need to get the steering dialed in a little more and it will be a weapon
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #623
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

What are the things I can do in order to gain more steering.
Can you post them 1,2,3,4 etc... so I can try them 1 by 1? Thanks, Fat
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #624
Tech Regular
 
Swift and Sleek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: BADBOYS
Posts: 464
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default TB03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the motor from the spur gear and spinning the wheels by themselves? How'd you shim the gear boxes? Are you using any sort of drag brake setting through your electronics?
I HAVE ATTACHED PICTURES OF THE POSSIBLE AREAS THAT MAY CAUSE THE PROBLEM.

MAY I ASK IS THE PROBLEM RIGHT HERE?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB-03-problem.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-problem2.jpg  
__________________
"TEAM BAD BOYS"
FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME
Swift and Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #625
Tech Addict
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
Well I had the first run with the car and i am impressed. We run on a high traction surface and I started with the kit set-up running belted hpi x patterns with a lrp 17.5 geared at 3.9 - 76/46.
The car was plenty fast and the motor was temping at 145 deg after about 5 min so i may go to a 3.7. The main problem I had was not enough steering.
Mainly high speed on power push and low speed off power push. I really had to use the brakes just to get the car to turn in. Springs, I started with blue up front and yellow in the rear . I let a couple of the fast guys drive the car and they all had great things to say about it. They could drive it so fast I was amazed. But, I was trying to set up to my driving style so I started listening to their advice. In the end I changed to red springs up-front with blue in the rear. The car was 75% better and I only had to touch the brakes on two tight corners. Overall I am very happy with the car and will continue to play with setup. Any advice for setup is great
Only damage was a ball stud coming out of the rear hub carrier on the left side. Car is very fast and uber smooth. Just need to get the steering dialed in a little more and it will be a weapon
Nice to hear Fat, glad you enjoyed yourself and the car. Hey what you said about yanking the ball stud out of the rear upright reminded me of something I wanted to post up here awhile ago. The picture I just took explains it pretty well I believe, but in case people get confused I will explain. On the rear uprights/hubs of all Tamiya's, I install a little set screw in the extra holes in the uprights to prevent the ballstud from pushing over to the next hole in a bad wreck. Also prevents stripping out the threads, since it strengthens the upright as well. Fast, cheap insurance that can help prevent a DNF from a small wreck or tap.

As far as steering goes.....one word....SPOOL!

If you have a spool installed though, I'll give you a run down on what I would do later. Ran out of time atm, tax free weekend here in North Carolina......new lap top here I come
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB-03-tb03s-upright.jpg  
__________________
:: Serpent America ::Desoto Racing :: Track Star Racer Services ::Skyrocket Racing::TOP::
Timmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #626
Tech Addict
 
sonic31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hollywood,FL.
Posts: 594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

timmie, fats ball stud came out because he didnt have enough threads into the hub carrier. that set screw trick is definitely a good one i use it.
__________________
Tamiya TRF418 SAMIX / KO Propo / Tekin RS Pro / Spektrum
sonic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #627
Tech Adept
 
bluesxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift and Sleek View Post
I HAVE ATTACHED PICTURES OF THE POSSIBLE AREAS THAT MAY CAUSE THE PROBLEM.

MAY I ASK IS THE PROBLEM RIGHT HERE?
Swift, that's not impossible, but if you shimmed it like the manual, I doubt it. For me, the factory build made the meshes very loose. First, I think you need to isolate the problem. I'd do this:

Slide motor pinion away from the spur. Do the wheels spin freely?

If not, disconnect the drive shaft. Which end does not spin freely?

Open up that end. Any damage? Are gear teeth stripped/melted? Are all the bearings spinning freely? Shimmed too tight? Clean it up and shim it looser if necessary. You can loosen/tighten the mesh between the bevel gear (BG1) and the diff gear (BG2) with shims. You can change the 10mm shims (BA12) on the diff or the shims on the propeller joins (BA20, BA21).

Personally, I did 4 BA12 shims on the short side of the diff and 2 on the long side. I also did two BA17 shims on the propeller joints. This all tightens up the mesh between the bevel gears and the diff. While its on the tight side, my drive train still spins nice and smoothly with the motor disconnected.

Now, if your drive train spins freely with the motor disconnected then there's several things it could be:

1) The mesh between your pinion and spur gear was too tight. You want a little bit of play in that mesh.
2) Motor needs cleaning. Spray it out and lube it.
3) Motor needs rebuild/replacement. How have your motor temps been? Is it possible you cooked it? As for fixing and maintaining brushed motors, I am not the guy to ask. My fix is to run brushless.
4) Could your ESC or radio be causing the motor to brake when you let off the throttle? Perhaps the ESC has a really aggressive drag brake setting? Perhaps your throttle trim is way off on your radio? You could check those settings or try new electronics on the car if you have them available.

If you have other motors/escs/radios or friends who are willing to help you out, you can always try swapping these out to see if one of them is the culprit.

Anyway, I hope that gives you some ideas. Step 1 is to isolate the problem.

Last edited by bluesxman; 08-09-2009 at 10:40 AM.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #628
Tech Adept
 
bluesxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
As far as steering goes.....one word....SPOOL!
Hey Timmie, just how important would you say a spool is to solving on-power push? I'm running on un-prepped parking lots with pretty good quality surfaces. There's still a lot of options for me to try, but I'm wondering if I should put my tuning on pause until I pick up a spool for the front.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #629
Tech Addict
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Swift, that's not impossible, but if you shimmed it like the manual, I doubt it. For me, the factory build made the meshes very loose. First, I think you need to isolate the problem. I'd do this:

Slide motor pinion away from the spur. Do the wheels spin freely?

If not, disconnect the drive shaft. Which end does not spin freely?

Open up that end. Any damage? Are gear teeth stripped/melted? Are all the bearings spinning freely? Shimmed too tight? Clean it up and shim it looser if necessary. You can loosen/tighten the mesh between the bevel gear (BG1) and the diff gear (BG2) with shims. You can change the 10mm shims (BA12) on the diff or the shims on the propeller joins (BA20, BA21).

Personally, I did 4 BA12 shims on the short side of the diff and 2 on the long side. I also did two BA17 shims on the propeller joints. This all tightens up the mesh between the bevel gears and the diff. While its on the tight side, my drive train still spins nice and smoothly with the motor disconnected.

Now, if your drive train spins freely with the motor disconnected then there's several things it could be:

1) The mesh between your pinion and spur gear was too tight. You want a little bit of play in that mesh.
2) Motor needs cleaning. Spray it out and lube it.
3) Motor needs rebuild/replacement. How have your motor temps been? Is it possible you cooked it? As for fixing and maintaining brushed motors, I am not the guy to ask. My fix is to run brushless.
4) Could your ESC or radio be causing the motor to brake when you let off the throttle? Perhaps the ESC has a really aggressive drag brake setting? Perhaps your throttle trim is way off on your radio? You could check those settings or try new electronics on the car if you have them available.

If you have other motors/escs/radios or friends who are willing to help you out, you can always try swapping these out to see if one of them is the culprit.

Anyway, I hope that gives you some ideas. Step 1 is to isolate the problem.
+1 Good advice, follow this and you should find your problem
__________________
:: Serpent America ::Desoto Racing :: Track Star Racer Services ::Skyrocket Racing::TOP::
Timmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #630
Tech Addict
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxman View Post
Hey Timmie, just how important would you say a spool is to solving on-power push? I'm running on un-prepped parking lots with pretty good quality surfaces. There's still a lot of options for me to try, but I'm wondering if I should put my tuning on pause until I pick up a spool for the front.
It's everything for me when it comes to outdoor asphalt racing. For on power steering, a spool makes a HUGE difference. Especially so, for people that don't like to let go of the throttle to make a turn Low grip, high grip, it doesn't matter, a spool will pull your car in the direction the wheels are turned. Sure, you can run the front ball diff very very tight, and gain some on power steering, but it will never be as profound as it would be with a spool. I helped a guy with a TC5R once at a race that was getting frustrated with his car. We dropped a spool into it and bam, his car was fast. So spools are not just my preference for the TB03, but for all TC no matter the brand. For almost anybody I've raced with, they are always faster (consistent) with a spool. I think you should most definitely get a spool. I promise you won't regret it. That and it really isn't much money at all, cheap upgrade, big bang for the buck. If you would like to see video of low grip parking lot racing with a spool I can post some videos up.
__________________
:: Serpent America ::Desoto Racing :: Track Star Racer Services ::Skyrocket Racing::TOP::
Timmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX, legacy 2.0, NIP Type A tires, Tamiya towel for sale or trade Fastburn R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 16 09-06-2008 12:45 AM
FS: Tekin Rebel 2 ESC w/ Tamiya GT Tuned Motor & Tamiya AM Radio & Receiver wrxnfx R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 06-10-2008 06:40 PM
Tamiya M03 / Trinity Brushes / Muchmore Battery Cooler / Tamiya M Chassis Wheels bluejays R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-16-2007 09:31 PM
Hpi rs4, tamiya tt01, tamiya tg-10, tamiya sprint! MORE!!!!! Genuinekid R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-10-2007 04:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:56 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0