Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, my old 009 that I sold TQ'd and won. I should of never sold that car to him! haha. I think you proved a lot though. That TB03 is fast! We'll see how she does on low bite technical parking lot track tomorrow. Call me at 8:30am to make sure I'm awake. I'll call you if I wake up before them. I'm rebuilding my shocks now. Going down in oil and spring. See ya in the morn...
Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmie
Well first race with my car today and I am VERY impressed. Extremely fast period. Made a few more small changes today and the car is dialed for high grip asphalt. I was running very consistent all day long with the car. First qualifier and I had 6, 14.0 laptimes out of 26 laps and the rest being low 14's as well. By the 3rd qualifier I was running 13's and had the fastest lap of the day with a 13.5. I have the print outs from the races but don't have a scanner. All was going well until the main though hahah. It started with me being in 2nd on the line*missed tq by less than a second* and when the race started I was on the rear bumper of first. Drove behind him for a few laps pressuring him pretty hard until he went wide and I grabbed first. I started pulling away from him and after a few laps he made a mistake and I was confident I had this race won. But with less than a minute to go something felt wrong. I started to notice my car was not steering to the right as well, and that with every lap it got worse. I was thinking, "You got to be kiddin.." I continued to keep driving, now slamming brakes to try and steer and on the last lap all steering to the right was gone and I shot towards a corner dot and flipped ending the race for me. I was disgusted LOL! I guess that is why I am typing so much about it cause I needed to vent hahah! Went back to the pits and discovered what caused it....the ballstud on top of the c hub had worked its way loose and came off I have never had this happen to ANY Tamiya chassis before. After thinking about how in the world this happened it became clear...steering slop. With the spool and all that steering slop, when you make turns I could see the inside front wheel shaking on the turn. So all the vibration worked it loose BLAH! and the ironic thing is my steering upgrade parts showed up this morning but I told myself I would worry with it later tonight

But all in all the car proved itself today. My friend that Tqed drives a 009 Xray, and in the beginning of the day he said to me," Yeah for what that car is its pretty quick..I think it would be good for Tamiya races and stuff" I was like WHAT THE HECK?!?! LOL! But at the end of the day his opinion had changed drastically when he told me he was giving it all he had and I was still getting away from him So I am happy that I got some respect now for Tamiya plastic cars hehhee I got video too just got to figure out how to post it so you all can see my TB03 in action. Well anyway I'm wore out, going to put my steering kit in and go to bed. Me and Jimmy Mac heading out early tomorrow. I will go into detail about stuff with car later on. Go Go Tamiya!
Good to see you are enjoying the car!
Would you be able to post your setup? I'm trying to figure this car out for 17.5 class. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
My latest blog has been posted. Check it out!

http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/myb...-the-tb03.html

Jimmy Wright
do you have to pay to view your contents?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well first race with my car today and I am VERY impressed. Extremely fast period. Made a few more small changes today and the car is dialed for high grip asphalt. I was running very consistent all day long with the car. First qualifier and I had 6, 14.0 laptimes out of 26 laps and the rest being low 14's as well. By the 3rd qualifier I was running 13's and had the fastest lap of the day with a 13.5. I have the print outs from the races but don't have a scanner. All was going well until the main though hahah. It started with me being in 2nd on the line*missed tq by less than a second* and when the race started I was on the rear bumper of first. Drove behind him for a few laps pressuring him pretty hard until he went wide and I grabbed first. I started pulling away from him and after a few laps he made a mistake and I was confident I had this race won. But with less than a minute to go something felt wrong. I started to notice my car was not steering to the right as well, and that with every lap it got worse. I was thinking, "You got to be kiddin.." I continued to keep driving, now slamming brakes to try and steer and on the last lap all steering to the right was gone and I shot towards a corner dot and flipped ending the race for me. I was disgusted LOL! I guess that is why I am typing so much about it cause I needed to vent hahah! Went back to the pits and discovered what caused it....the ballstud on top of the c hub had worked its way loose and came off I have never had this happen to ANY Tamiya chassis before. After thinking about how in the world this happened it became clear...steering slop. With the spool and all that steering slop, when you make turns I could see the inside front wheel shaking on the turn. So all the vibration worked it loose BLAH! and the ironic thing is my steering upgrade parts showed up this morning but I told myself I would worry with it later tonight

But all in all the car proved itself today. My friend that Tqed drives a 009 Xray, and in the beginning of the day he said to me," Yeah for what that car is its pretty quick..I think it would be good for Tamiya races and stuff" I was like WHAT THE HECK?!?! LOL! But at the end of the day his opinion had changed drastically when he told me he was giving it all he had and I was still getting away from him So I am happy that I got some respect now for Tamiya plastic cars hehhee I got video too just got to figure out how to post it so you all can see my TB03 in action. Well anyway I'm wore out, going to put my steering kit in and go to bed. Me and Jimmy Mac heading out early tomorrow. I will go into detail about stuff with car later on. Go Go Tamiya!
good stuff.. sucks your ball stud came loose. id be interested to see what your set up is along with your tire/insert combo.

you said you raced against a T2'009? i thought it was TCS? or was this the warm up race?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No, it was club racing. Timmie is getting ready for TCS racing by using only Tamiya parts (minus body and tires). He had another good run today. But this time he TQ'd. However, I'm sure he'll pop in to tell you what happened in the main. The TB03 is proving to be a very fast club racer. Perhaps after the TCS race next weekend when we go to the Nats track on August 1st, he might see what it can do against national level sponsored stock racers. I think the next mission is to race a TT01 on a club level and see what it can do.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Good to see you are enjoying the car!
Would you be able to post your setup? I'm trying to figure this car out for 17.5 class. Thanks!
Thank you I'm having a blast with it. Hope you are having success with your car as well Yes I will be posting my setup as soon as I figure out the best way to do it. Was just going to just type it all out but I think I want to go into more detail than that. Been a hectic weekend for me but I will have info posted tomorrow for sure.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hebiki
good stuff.. sucks your ball stud came loose. id be interested to see what your set up is along with your tire/insert combo.

you said you raced against a T2'009? i thought it was TCS? or was this the warm up race?
I'm going to try to take care of everything in one big post as far as what I have found to be quirks with the car and stuff that needs to be fixed with it as well. I'm going to be very thorough with what I have used with the car because I want to try and help others with this car take down everyone where ever they may race
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, first off wanted to gratz Jimmy Mac on a awesome win today He was looking for his sweet spot with his Yokomo BD5 all day setup wise and finally got it for the main. He dominated it, holding on to first the whole race.

Now about my second race with my TB03....LOL man you can't have luck like me I swear! Did about 3 warm up laps around the track before the main, Turn marshal sets my car down, and when the announcer says go, I floor it only to hear the squeaching sound of my spur gear grenading ! BLAH! haha oh well, that is racing at times. But I know what happened now, and why will be something I will go into later.

Today I went to this parking lot track with Jimmy Mac, to try out my low traction setup. This track is a small track but with a weekly changing layout so I love going there. Today they had a super technical layout. Only one straight that was maybe 80ft/24.38m. To be honest this layout was better suited for 12th scales! But I love technical tracks they are so much fun. My setup worked awesome here, car was fast from the get go. The only thing I changed from my low traction setup was increased negative front camber to -2 and stood the rear shock one more hole to get some more rotation for the super tight track. First qualifier I was on Muchmore Sweep 36 doing 19 laps, and on my 3rd Qualifier I was on SJR36 still doing 19 laps, but close to getting 20. So in my opinion the setup works great and is consistent. I set TQ today by 7 seconds! I was floored with the performance of the car. I have been doing a lot of other additional testing with the car like gearing and stuff with the new speedo and also running a novak motor. According to one of the guys at the track that had a radar gun, (yeah, really he had a radar gun ) I had the highest top speed on the straight away with 30mph. Next fastest car was 28mph. So in that short straight away I think it really shows the accelleration of a shaft car HEHEHEH

Ok, damage report time. Spur gear stripping on me was caused by a very bad wreck I got into on the straight away when I got t boned. long story short, track barrier got moved in somehow, car caught the edge of the pipe, got thrown and when it landed someone smacked my car in the side really hard. Hard enough it actually dented the side of the chassis Since this happened in the beginning of the race and I ripped the pickup wire out of the track we had a restart. Checked the car out seemed fine, went on to TQ. Well when I got hit like that it shifted the motor in the car popped the cover off after my failed main start and could see where the motor screw had shifted a little and left some shiny aluminum streak on the motor mount. So I say for anyone out there if you get smacked hard check to make sure the motor didn't shift. This was probably a once in a life time thing but I will be checking this out in the future. On a good note, the upgraded steering kit is AWESOME. really made a difference in the car. Best upgrade imo. even more so than fancy shocks.

Heheh yes while me and Jimmy were riding back I told him I think I might get a TT01. I'm curious on how this car would stack up against the high end cars. One of the biggest reasons for me getting the TB03 was listening to some of the local people wanting to get into rc car racing. They are all smiles until someone drops the price bomb of some of the kits out there. And when I would say to them, "Oh well you can actually get a cheaper kit that is very competitive" they would reply back that so and so said that car sucks, or that car is only for bashing, etc. That really upset me to hear because no matter where you live, we need more racers. And to lose a potential racer because they believe they have to spend 500.00 on a "fast" car is absurd. So that is why I have put so much into this car, to show people you don't have to go into debt to be competitive. Going into debt comes later after you been in rc for awhile LMAO! I know ya'll that have been doing it for awhile understand me on that one!

Well my book is done, sorry for being long winded. 5 hour energy from earlier has me tweaked lol. I will post some setups tomorrow. Got some cool videos as well I might try to post. Take care
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

Ok, first off wanted to gratz Jimmy Mac on a awesome win today He was looking for his sweet spot with his Yokomo BD5 all day setup wise and finally got it for the main. He dominated it, holding on to first the whole race.

Now about my second race with my TB03....LOL man you can't have luck like me I swear! Did about 3 warm up laps around the track before the main, Turn marshal sets my car down, and when the announcer says go, I floor it only to hear the squeaching sound of my spur gear grenading ! BLAH! haha oh well, that is racing at times. But I know what happened now, and why will be something I will go into later.

Today I went to this parking lot track with Jimmy Mac, to try out my low traction setup. This track is a small track but with a weekly changing layout so I love going there. Today they had a super technical layout. Only one straight that was maybe 80ft/24.38m. To be honest this layout was better suited for 12th scales! But I love technical tracks they are so much fun. My setup worked awesome here, car was fast from the get go. The only thing I changed from my low traction setup was increased negative front camber to -2 and stood the rear shock one more hole to get some more rotation for the super tight track. First qualifier I was on Muchmore Sweep 36 doing 19 laps, and on my 3rd Qualifier I was on SJR36 still doing 19 laps, but close to getting 20. So in my opinion the setup works great and is consistent. I set TQ today by 7 seconds! I was floored with the performance of the car. I have been doing a lot of other additional testing with the car like gearing and stuff with the new speedo and also running a novak motor. According to one of the guys at the track that had a radar gun, (yeah, really he had a radar gun ) I had the highest top speed on the straight away with 30mph. Next fastest car was 28mph. So in that short straight away I think it really shows the accelleration of a shaft car HEHEHEH

Ok, damage report time. Spur gear stripping on me was caused by a very bad wreck I got into on the straight away when I got t boned. long story short, track barrier got moved in somehow, car caught the edge of the pipe, got thrown and when it landed someone smacked my car in the side really hard. Hard enough it actually dented the side of the chassis Since this happened in the beginning of the race and I ripped the pickup wire out of the track we had a restart. Checked the car out seemed fine, went on to TQ. Well when I got hit like that it shifted the motor in the car popped the cover off after my failed main start and could see where the motor screw had shifted a little and left some shiny aluminum streak on the motor mount. So I say for anyone out there if you get smacked hard check to make sure the motor didn't shift. This was probably a once in a life time thing but I will be checking this out in the future. On a good note, the upgraded steering kit is AWESOME. really made a difference in the car. Best upgrade imo. even more so than fancy shocks.

Heheh yes while me and Jimmy were riding back I told him I think I might get a TT01. I'm curious on how this car would stack up against the high end cars. One of the biggest reasons for me getting the TB03 was listening to some of the local people wanting to get into rc car racing. They are all smiles until someone drops the price bomb of some of the kits out there. And when I would say to them, "Oh well you can actually get a cheaper kit that is very competitive" they would reply back that so and so said that car sucks, or that car is only for bashing, etc. That really upset me to hear because no matter where you live, we need more racers. And to lose a potential racer because they believe they have to spend 500.00 on a "fast" car is absurd. So that is why I have put so much into this car, to show people you don't have to go into debt to be competitive. Going into debt comes later after you been in rc for awhile LMAO! I know ya'll that have been doing it for awhile understand me on that one!

Well my book is done, sorry for being long winded. 5 hour energy from earlier has me tweaked lol. I will post some setups tomorrow. Got some cool videos as well I might try to post. Take care
One quick question. What size pinion/spur did you use for the 17.5? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Tech Addict

One quick question. What size pinion/spur did you use for the 17.5? Thanks.
Well yesterday because the track was so technical, I was using 96 spur, 39 pinion.....so I was running a FDR of 6.00

But this worked for me using a Novak motor. Other times I always use Express Motorsports 17.5 duo and my gearing would have been a little different. Since I can only use a Novak or LRP 17.5 for GT2 class, I went with Novak because they are fast and I have some experience with them. But for your car it depends on the situation. Esc, track layout, tire grip, outside temp and a few other variables will change what you use. You probably already know this though, and if so I apologize for the redundancy

If you tell me what esc you have and what motor and track size I can give you my suggestion.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well yesterday because the track was so technical, I was using 96 spur, 39 pinion.....so I was running a FDR of 6.00

But this worked for me using a Novak motor. Other times I always use Express Motorsports 17.5 duo and my gearing would have been a little different. Since I can only use a Novak or LRP 17.5 for GT2 class, I went with Novak because they are fast and I have some experience with them. But for your car it depends on the situation. Esc, track layout, tire grip, outside temp and a few other variables will change what you use. You probably already know this though, and if so I apologize for the redundancy

If you tell me what esc you have and what motor and track size I can give you my suggestion.
TB-03 probably has a larger more forgiving sweetspot in terms of set up. something thats good for rookies and racers just starting out.

plus with tamiya's line of hopups... they can go through it in a progression and not plop down all the money at once
Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm going to run my LRP TCspec with a 17.5Duo(middle hole). The track has a 120ft straight and top speed do matter. Some people have suggested a 3.5fdr, but I think that is too much. I am looking at around 4.0. With the current pinion set that I have, I can go from 38 to 46. Which means I need a spur of about 75. But What worries me is the amount the motor can move. I don't want to buy a gear set that I won't be able to mesh at all. What would be a safe spur/pinion combo to achieve the FDR for the 17.5 class? Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Initiate

for 13.5T should i go for TBO3 or TA05 ver 2?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used an 81 spur with a 49 pinion to achieve 4.0 final drive. I was able to go down to a 46t pinion with that spur but the motor was pretty close to the shaft. So I'm guessing you can go down 1-2 tooth lower until you run out of room.

3.5 fdr isn't bad, just watch your temps. I've gone as low as 3.19 last winter.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm going to run my LRP TCspec with a 17.5Duo(middle hole). The track has a 120ft straight and top speed do matter. Some people have suggested a 3.5fdr, but I think that is too much. I am looking at around 4.0. With the current pinion set that I have, I can go from 38 to 46. Which means I need a spur of about 75. But What worries me is the amount the motor can move. I don't want to buy a gear set that I won't be able to mesh at all. What would be a safe spur/pinion combo to achieve the FDR for the 17.5 class? Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Hi all,

I hope this works, been trying to post a setup while trying to do some work today I hope this comes out right, if not I'll just type out what I used on other setups lol. Anyway this is the setup I used the other day. It might be a bit aggressive for some but you just have to try it. If its too crazy in the back just go one hole in on the rear shock and you'll be good. Also got a video to load but took me like 3 hours to load it I don't know what I'm doing so put it on you tube. In a bit of a hurry so I will post more tonight. Video is from my local high traction track. I will post a video if I can of the low traction setup I am posting here now. I got a beginners setup too I will post. Oh and I will post the high traction setup when I can. Follow what I'm saying? Can you tell I'm in a hurry hahah! Enjoy!

Rosewood RC Speedway/ TB03 first qualifier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1EK3oSbEs

And so you guys can see the lay out better I added a overhead shot of the track
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-img_0075.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tb03revm.jpg  

Last edited by Timmie; 07-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.