R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #241
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

thanks for infor. post some pictures please.
Phat-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #242
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat-Boy View Post
thanks for infor. post some pictures please.
Oops sorry I can't post pics cause my low post count... oh well... If you want to see it you can check the newbie section of drccent. look for "my new ride".
DragonDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift and Sleek View Post
HAS ANYONE HERE TRIED TO WEIGH THE CARBON REINFORCED PARTS AGAINST THE PLASTIC PARTS FOR THE TB03? WHICH ONE WEIGHS MORE?
would like to get an answer for this as well... need to put my TB03 on a serious diet... hahahahahaha!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #244
Tech Rookie

I have the Tamiya carbon reinforced A parts (54098) and K parts (54099) and there is no weight savings that I can detect. I'll try and find a gram scale to test but I'm pretty sure there won't be much difference. "Carbon Reinforced" and "Carbon Fiber" are 2 very different things. with carbon reinforced they just mix some carbon dust in with the resin when they mold the parts. If you want to shed some weight look at the 3racing CF chassis and CF shock towers. A low profile servo, lipo batteries, and titanium screws couldn't hurt either.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #245
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure why you guys are needing to shed weight.. unless you using NiMh still...

I'm running Orion 3600 LiPo's in my TB03 for club racing, and have to add well over 100g to get it up to legal (1500g) limit, and thats with some pretty heafty radio gear too!

Anyway, I think I'd lost my way with th eTB03 setup recently, really not wasn't too happy with it. So I set it back to kit settings (including the suspension blocks and mounts), with the only real differences being the alloy rear diff, and TRF shocks setup with 40wt oil, 3 hole pistons, and White / Blue springs.
Ran it again today in 17.5 for one run, with knackered tyres, and car was much better than it had been Did have a tendancy to step out when applying the power hard, but I don't think it's anything that can't be sorted with a little tuning on the rear of the car (softer oil or laid in shocks).
Was very impressed with it today, given the limited hop-ups on it... amazing what you can do with a almost bog-standard tub (I won the third leg of the A btw )

Cheers
Ed
Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

What is the thickness of these suspension Mount Spacers A8 & A15?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDrop View Post
If you want to shed some weight look at the 3racing CF chassis and CF shock towers. A low profile servo, lipo batteries, and titanium screws couldn't hurt either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Not sure why you guys are needing to shed weight.. unless you using NiMh still...
can't run lipos and aftermarket parts from other manufacturers since we're running the local qualifiers for the Tamiya Asia Cup... we're also stuck with using the TEU101BK, 1600NiCd stick packs and handout GT Tuned motor for the races.

I've gone as far as using a lowprofile servo and a spektrum micro rx, though. other than the lightweight bodies available from tamiya and the ti screws, was hoping there were other places i could still shave some weight off.

Last edited by VooDooPH; 05-04-2009 at 12:00 AM.
VooDooPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #248
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Just ordered this kit through my LHS. Getting back into the hobby, last kit I owned was a TA03. Must have been about 12 years ago!

A few questions for you cats.

I plan on running a ss13.5 Novak. Local tracks are mostly tightish and dirty concrete and asphalt.

1- What FDR do you guys recommend? Spur and Pinion sizes? (NOVAK lists 4.5 fdr)

2- Looking at getting either the SMC 5200 24c lipo or the new 5200 40c, what do you guys like and will it make a difference with a 13.5?

3- Any tire suggestions? Width, slick or treaded, inserts ect. (Tire rules are open)

Thanks in advance!
Asgar
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #249
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I just got the 3Racing CF chassis yesterday for my TB-03. It's pretty sweet. The chassis comes with a completely redesigned steering assembly. Also it comes with a metal motor mount. I already had the hopped Tamiya steering assembly and aluminium motor mount (both of which are better than the ones that come with cf chassis) but those can't be used with the 3Racing CF chassis. No biggie I'll just throw them on my TB-03D chassis. Everything fits pretty well except for a couple of design bugs. Because the new steering assembly is so tight there is a little interference on the turnbuckles if you try to turn when the front arms up (shocks compressed) or if you set up with too much droop. To fix this I had to screw the ball joint in on the front axle upside down which lowers the turnbuckles giving more clearance. Also because of the new steering assembly the servo is mounted 90deg counter clockwise from the stock chassis. With the hopped servo mounts the servo won't clear the steering linkage (by a few mm). I fixed this by reversing the mounts and pushing the servo more towards the side. but now the servo hangs about 1/2" off the side of the CF chassis. Now its a low profile servo so if you had a full size servo it would really be hanging off. I'm gonna try and find a smaller servo mount or just make my own with a small aluminium block and screw tap. Another thing that kinda sucks is that the Spur gear and pinion are now exposed. No bigge but it was nice on the stock chassis when I didn't have to worry about little pebbles getting in there. Oh one more thing they forgot one thing in the box. The angled ESC mount is missing. No biggie as I could just make one on my RP machine, or go without it, but it still sucks that it was not in there since I paid for it. Considering the problems that arised and the fact that I'm missing a part I'd give the CF chassis a B- so far... I haven't run it yet so I couldn't tell you if it is any better. I'm especially curious to see if the new steering assembly makes it better or worse. BTW with the hops and the cf chassis it doesn't look like a TB-03 anymore. If I posted a pic and called it a TRF-418 I could probably fool a few people!

You guys don't want to see any pics, do you?
pics is highly appreciated.
i just got my 3racing CF chassis last nite.my major problem is to get the servo arm connected to the steering assembly.
currently still using Sanwa 102 servo on my TB03.any suggestion how should i mount the servo?
TQ
VR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #250
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Well, I had a chance to finally wring this car out on asphalt and let me tell you....anyone that says this car is not as stable and consistant as the TA05 is flat wrong. I've been running various incarnations of the TA05 since 2005 and I can tell you this car is as stable if not more stable...just as consistent and flat out faster. And I am am a hardcore TA05 fan. And on top of that it's whisper quiet. I'll post my setup later. I was running it in 17.5 so this should be a great starting point for anything from silver can to 13.5. The TB03 was absolutley planted and ridiculously fast.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!

Last edited by Core Creations; 05-05-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #251
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I agree with Core. I run on a high traction track. the Coliseium in Fredrick, MD.
Since day one, the rear is planted... so much that I've got to use the front one-way to make it turn. I'm still working on finding a setup. And oddly enough the car is whispher quiet... not usually a Tamiya characteristic.
Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #252
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6T View Post
pics is highly appreciated.
i just got my 3racing CF chassis last nite.my major problem is to get the servo arm connected to the steering assembly.
currently still using Sanwa 102 servo on my TB03.any suggestion how should i mount the servo?
TQ
I was able to make it fit but what I did was I had to buy new servo stays (GH Racing Alum Serv Mount for Axial Ax10). They are made out of Aluminimum and tall enough to screw through both holes on the servo. so what I did was I cut the bottom 2 screw holes off of the servo tabs. Then I screwed the servos stays on backwards then screwed it to the deck. It fits really good and the now the servo (low profile) is nearly flush to the side of the deck. Its hard to describe so I made a drawing and took a pic.

Last edited by DragonDrop; 05-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #253
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I just got the 3Racing CF chassis yesterday for my TB-03. It's pretty sweet. The chassis comes with a completely redesigned steering assembly. Also it comes with a metal motor mount. I already had the hopped Tamiya steering assembly and aluminium motor mount (both of which are better than the ones that come with cf chassis) but those can't be used with the 3Racing CF chassis. No biggie I'll just throw them on my TB-03D chassis. Everything fits pretty well except for a couple of design bugs. Because the new steering assembly is so tight there is a little interference on the turnbuckles if you try to turn when the front arms up (shocks compressed) or if you set up with too much droop. To fix this I had to screw the ball joint in on the front axle upside down which lowers the turnbuckles giving more clearance. Also because of the new steering assembly the servo is mounted 90deg counter clockwise from the stock chassis. With the hopped servo mounts the servo won't clear the steering linkage (by a few mm). I fixed this by reversing the mounts and pushing the servo more towards the side. but now the servo hangs about 1/2" off the side of the CF chassis. Now its a low profile servo so if you had a full size servo it would really be hanging off. I'm gonna try and find a smaller servo mount or just make my own with a small aluminium block and screw tap. Another thing that kinda sucks is that the Spur gear and pinion are now exposed. No bigge but it was nice on the stock chassis when I didn't have to worry about little pebbles getting in there. Oh one more thing they forgot one thing in the box. The angled ESC mount is missing. No biggie as I could just make one on my RP machine, or go without it, but it still sucks that it was not in there since I paid for it. Considering the problems that arised and the fact that I'm missing a part I'd give the CF chassis a B- so far... I haven't run it yet so I couldn't tell you if it is any better. I'm especially curious to see if the new steering assembly makes it better or worse.
Finally got my post count up.... I can post some pics now...

It's still messy. I still have to cut and resolder the wires for the motor and the rest.

You can see here where I had to mount the turnbuckles on the front arms upsidedown

The new 3racing steering assembly is in there somewhere.

The now exposed pinion and spur gear.

The rear cf shock tower (not included with the CF chassis)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #254
Tech Elite

Quote:
Finally got my post count up.... I can post some pics now...

It's still messy. I still have to cut and resolder the wires for the motor and the rest.

You can see here where I had to mount the turnbuckles on the front arms upsidedown

The new 3racing steering assembly is in there somewhere.

The now exposed pinion and spur gear.

The rear cf shock tower (not included with the CF chassis)

just a thought, if you screwed the ball on the servo saver through the other side (facing the servo), might be able to push the servo back to its original place?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #255
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
just a thought, if you screwed the ball on the servo saver through the other side (facing the servo), might be able to push the servo back to its original place?
No... It's not the part near the servo saver that is the problem. It is at the other end of the turnbuckle. the steering assembly hits the servo when screwed in normally.