R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #2026
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

makes perfect sense . haven't gotten to set up just yet, still building . i squeeze in what i can between daddy sessions with my 3 y/o . i will follow that rear toe set up and see how that works .

i'm fairly new to RC so i don't need fast, stable and consistent is fine for me as of now . i'll deal with fast when/if the time comes . to be truthful what i love is the build and tweak process .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobouno View Post
I found TB-03 can't keep up with even Sakura Zero S. The gearing ratio is too big, I changed to a TA05 V2 for that reason. As for your winter carpet season, you better ask the club, they may have control tyres.

The +3 offset meant it'll make the width of the car wider when you put on those tyres. The tyre width is still the same, but say if you use the standard plastic wheel hex which is 5mm. + 3 offset will move your tyre position 3mm further out. (I hope I'm making sense to you.) Just make sure you've got a axle that will fit it, or use a shorter wheel nut. +3mm on the rear add extra stability to the car. What is your rear toe? Try go towards -3.5 or -4. -2.5 is not enough
.. Sakura FGX; Novak power plant, Exotek, Lotus/Renault #9 ..
.. TB-03 Calsonic GT-R . reventon s/ultra v.3 power plant . yeah racing ..
.. M-05 Mini Cooper, Silver Can 104BK speedo, fakkin' cute!

...one of these days, life will get easier...
NewWestF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #2027
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestF1 View Post
makes perfect sense . haven't gotten to set up just yet, still building . i squeeze in what i can between daddy sessions with my 3 y/o . i will follow that rear toe set up and see how that works .

i'm fairly new to RC so i don't need fast, stable and consistent is fine for me as of now . i'll deal with fast when/if the time comes . to be truthful what i love is the build and tweak process .
Build yes, I love it... I do occasionally build minis to sell.

Tweak/ race tune... not so much, they are a real pain, need to be patient and getting a car to a perfect balance is just quite impossible.

Got to say, I need more guidance on tuning as well... these car are quite sensitive, things won't work properly if you over tighthen. Screws goes missing if they are not tighten enough.... Sometimes it can be frustrating...
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #2028
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Someone has probably asked this before, but does anyone have trouble fitting a lipo in the chassis? I'm using Gens Ace Lipos, but I'm looking to buy either a ThunderPower lipo, or a reedy shorty lipo for my tb03
WongTamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #2029
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WongTamiya View Post
Someone has probably asked this before, but does anyone have trouble fitting a lipo in the chassis? I'm using Gens Ace Lipos, but I'm looking to buy either a ThunderPower lipo, or a reedy shorty lipo for my tb03
Tamiya Bathtub are designed to fit the round edges lipo. Only good brand that has them are orion... Anyway....

Easiest way to fit a square lipo, is add about 4mm spacer on to your battery holder screw. That's how I did it to mine...

The down side is, this will put the battery very close to the drive shaft. There are a couple of another option that I did consider.

Remove the flange that holds the battery inside the tub, just remove the one closer to the tub edge.... but this require a lot of work (Dremel, sanding, etc)...

Alternatively change to use the Carbon fibre chassis from 3Racing. They are designed to fit a lipo pack. And it looks pretty neat.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #2030
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Tamiya Bathtub are designed to fit the round edges lipo. Only good brand that has them are orion... Anyway....

Easiest way to fit a square lipo, is add about 4mm spacer on to your battery holder screw. That's how I did it to mine...

The down side is, this will put the battery very close to the drive shaft. There are a couple of another option that I did consider.

Remove the flange that holds the battery inside the tub, just remove the one closer to the tub edge.... but this require a lot of work (Dremel, sanding, etc)...

Alternatively change to use the Carbon fibre chassis from 3Racing. They are designed to fit a lipo pack. And it looks pretty neat.
The 3Racing Chassis isn't really an option for me at this time. I'm looking to race TCS. I don't know if removing the flange would count as modifying the chassis. What Orion Round Lipos are there? Also, does anyone use a shorty for the tb03? I think it would help balance the chassis.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #2031
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If somebody wanted to build one of these, and considering the R spec one is tough to find, does somebody buy the drift model and one of the available kits and builds a Frankenstein hybrid?

Otherwise it seems prohibitively expensive.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #2032
Tech Regular

Quote:
The 3Racing Chassis isn't really an option for me at this time. I'm looking to race TCS. I don't know if removing the flange would count as modifying the chassis. What Orion Round Lipos are there? Also, does anyone use a shorty for the tb03? I think it would help balance the chassis.
The Orion Round Lipo are called Rocket Pack.

Here's the Link
http://www.rcmart.com/team-orion-ori...l?cPath=52_973
Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #2033
Tech Regular

Quote:
Why not just add spacer? Easiest and cheapest solution.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #2034
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
If somebody wanted to build one of these, and considering the R spec one is tough to find, does somebody buy the drift model and one of the available kits and builds a Frankenstein hybrid?

Otherwise it seems prohibitively expensive.
I've got a TB03-R for sale if you're interested... I've built TB03-D spec and normal TB03 before... the chassis is the same as TB03 (any version). I have alsp converted a normal TB03 with IFS to TB03D layout. These are easy to do and not really that expensive to do.

The new TB03 VDF is a different design though, if I remember correctly, TB03VDF mount the motor to the front of the chassis. As far as I can tell, the only thing that is common in this chassis and the other TB03 versions are the gear covers, everything else looks like a total redesign, and why would you want to put parts from a normal TB03 on this chassis? It comes with Carbon Fibre chassis, don't see any advantage to make a VDF frankenstein. Or Vice Versa, the design is so different, you can't really modify a normal plastic chassis to fit the VDS layout.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #2035
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I want to run the TCS series, so carbon is out.

The spec R is an enormous deal if you want all the aluminum bits that matter.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #2036
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
I want to run the TCS series, so carbon is out.

The spec R is an enormous deal if you want all the aluminum bits that matter.
Yes, that's why I've bought them, and bought too many of them. So anyone looking for a TB03-R got one for sale. $260 + postage.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2037
Tech Apprentice

Why is the tb03 so unpopular? This thread is practically dead. After so long, you would think there would be more than 136 pages. :/
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #2038
Tech Regular

Quote:
Why is the tb03 so unpopular? This thread is practically dead. After so long, you would think there would be more than 136 pages. :/
you're funny! TB03 is not unpopular, but the competition is steep!

Within Tamiya itself TB03 got TT01 which is cheaper and possibly almost as good to compete with, then Yokomo D1 Drift package, practically same design, comes with Bathtub and Carbon fibre chassis for almost the same price. Not to mention HPI and Hot bodies... There are so many choices out there to compete with TB03.

IMHO, TB03 only performs well in one area which is drift, and there are many drift chassis out there that is either cheaper, or as good or both.

In stock or any tourer and even TCS world, TB03 lacks the speed it needs to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TB03, but I have to turn to TA05 V2 or TRF to get the speed I need to compete. That leaves my TB03 for drifting. To make matters worst, the only place that have organised drift sessions don't even allow TB03, it's either YOKOMO or 3Racing... so at this moment, my TB03 is being shelved because it cannot be used in events that I participate in.

TB03 is a good chassis, unfortunately the gearing is not that great. It can give TA06 some hard time, but it won't be able to keep up with a TA05 V2. Sad but the tech spec doesn't lie.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #2039
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
you're funny! TB03 is not unpopular, but the competition is steep!

Within Tamiya itself TB03 got TT01 which is cheaper and possibly almost as good to compete with, then Yokomo D1 Drift package, practically same design, comes with Bathtub and Carbon fibre chassis for almost the same price. Not to mention HPI and Hot bodies... There are so many choices out there to compete with TB03.

IMHO, TB03 only performs well in one area which is drift, and there are many drift chassis out there that is either cheaper, or as good or both.

In stock or any tourer and even TCS world, TB03 lacks the speed it needs to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TB03, but I have to turn to TA05 V2 or TRF to get the speed I need to compete. That leaves my TB03 for drifting. To make matters worst, the only place that have organised drift sessions don't even allow TB03, it's either YOKOMO or 3Racing... so at this moment, my TB03 is being shelved because it cannot be used in events that I participate in.

TB03 is a good chassis, unfortunately the gearing is not that great. It can give TA06 some hard time, but it won't be able to keep up with a TA05 V2. Sad but the tech spec doesn't lie.
Meh. Funny I actually prefer the Tb03 over the ta05 v2 R in touring. The last three people who won TCS must have done something right. I don't know about drift, but I've been looking into it. You never know, when you're young you wanna try so many different things.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #2040
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Next stop .. Paint ..

got my TB-03 Impul GT-R mostly built. battery, speedo and rx going in next ... going to paint this weekend, i hope anyway .. gotta find the spaz stix supplier in vancouver

1.0* toe-in rear w/1* camber; 1.5* toe-out front w/2.5* camber .. adjustable yeah racing rear wing is the only upgrade, rest is stock ... the planned paint will not be ..
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB-03-gt-r-side-view.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-gt-r-top-view.jpg  
.. Sakura FGX; Novak power plant, Exotek, Lotus/Renault #9 ..
.. TB-03 Calsonic GT-R . reventon s/ultra v.3 power plant . yeah racing ..
.. M-05 Mini Cooper, Silver Can 104BK speedo, fakkin' cute!

...one of these days, life will get easier...
NewWestF1 is offline   Reply With Quote