R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #1921
Tech Rookie

Default Hi

HI guys, who know the drift setting of tbo3 ?can post some information of tb03 drift spec ?im using hobby wing 9t motor
advin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #1922
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

Just a quick question as I'm new here to the scene of r/c's. What's the 540 motor like on the TB-03 series? In terms of specs does it compare to anything in terms of replacement parts? Is it a higher torque/slower speed motor?

And also, what sort of ESC would match up with this? Thanks a lot! Any help would be greatly appreciated
waynerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #1923
Tech Apprentice

do you mean the size of the motor is 540?
Jammin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #1924
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? 540 Johnson motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynerzz View Post
Hi guys,

Just a quick question as I'm new here to the scene of r/c's. What's the 540 motor like on the TB-03 series? In terms of specs does it compare to anything in terms of replacement parts? Is it a higher torque/slower speed motor?

And also, what sort of ESC would match up with this? Thanks a lot! Any help would be greatly appreciated
If your talking the 540J motor that comes in the kit. You can compare it to a 21.5brushless motor in rpms but not as good on torque as the brushless.
This motor will work with any brushed esc. A good brushed ESC would be the Tekin, Ko or Quantum 3 if you find it. LRP discontinued making them but they can still be found in some LHS.
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #1925
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
If your talking the 540J motor that comes in the kit. You can compare it to a 21.5brushless motor in rpms but not as good on torque as the brushless.
This motor will work with any brushed esc. A good brushed ESC would be the Tekin, Ko or Quantum 3 if you find it. LRP discontinued making them but they can still be found in some LHS.
Just my 2$
Thanks maxepower! That helps a lot. I'm just in the stage of doing some final research to figure out what I'm going to upgrade and I'll eventually break down and get one of these puppies!
waynerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #1926
Tech Rookie

Default Why so slow?

Guys,

I just assembled my first model, a Tamiya TB-03. But when charged up, it is painfully slow. The motor seems to be doing a lot of work without driving the car anywhere. Hmmm. Time to debug...

Have any of you encountered this before? What could be causing this? I have opened up the Ball differential and suspect that something isn't right in there. Should S2 and S3 be able to turn independently? And independently of BG2 (the ball differential ring gear)? Do you guys have any tips, tricks, or suspects?

Thanks
prevosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #1927
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevosis View Post
Guys,

I just assembled my first model, a Tamiya TB-03. But when charged up, it is painfully slow. The motor seems to be doing a lot of work without driving the car anywhere. Hmmm. Time to debug...

Have any of you encountered this before? What could be causing this? I have opened up the Ball differential and suspect that something isn't right in there. Should S2 and S3 be able to turn independently? And independently of BG2 (the ball differential ring gear)? Do you guys have any tips, tricks, or suspects?

Thanks
Take a look at the distance between the spur gear and motor pinion. They shouldn't be too tight. Iot to run the car smoothly there should be almost no resistance between the two. If not the car will be slow and the motor will very hot.

I'm not a tb03 driver so I dont know anything about the s2 and s3 things sorry.

Still lookin.......
http://jdskyline.blogspot.nl
JD Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #1928
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry, been slacking on the replies. In regards to the questions about possible weight savings with the R2 Hobbies carbon fiber chassis vs. carbon reinforced chassis. Didn't weigh it because I have so much aluminum on the car already so can't give exact figures. My guess is that there isn't any weight savings because the chassis is fairly heavy due to the 2.5mm thickness. If anything, it's about the same or possibly just a tad heavier. I will say that the chassis becomes much stiffer. You can look at this as both a benefit and hinderance. Stiffer chassis might work better in high bite (lots of traction) situations while it could mean less traction in low bite situations without changing your suspension settings. Have been a victim to this before so just wanted to point this out. Also, on the same note, the same can be said with the reversible suspension arms that come with the R vs. the stock arms. I bought the conversion more because I liked the way it looked.

In regards to the drift setup since that is what I'm using mine for, mine is countersteered so not sure how helpful this info will be. Modded rear diff & drive pinion to use the Yokomo 2.0 FCD. Have about 1 degree toe-in in the rear with shock positions on the outer most settings and no sway bars in front and rear. Front has 0 degree toe-in with steering links on front mounted holes of knuckles. Also, using some Square aluminum 7 degree caster w/ 3 degree camber C-hubs. Have Tamiya short soft on-road set springs front and yellow in the rear, but might go softer. Ride height is about 3-4mm off ground. Using Tamiya yellow shock oil and 3-hole pistons.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1929
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
None that I'm aware of. I always thought about trying to get the Evo V ones to work, but never gave it a try.
no go, e5 & eIV bulkhead mounting holes are totally different positions

www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #1930
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Default tb-03 spec r gear diff

does anyone have a gear diff handy, I would like to know the distance between the 2 main bearings. Looking to try these in an offroad 4wd.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #1931
Tech Rookie

Default TB-03D

Hey guys...I've been reading this thread and have really enjoyed it. I still have a ways to go but I've been building my TB-03D as well. I figured I'd post some pics to get some tips, feedback, comments, criticisms or really just to show you guys my project as this is my first onroad build. Actually it's my first build in over 20 years wow. I went out and pretty much bought a lot of the upgrades from the upgrade pack with the exception of a few items. I just ran it today for the first time and I've already chewed up the tires Here's what I have...

TB-03D
Direct Coupling (for rear)
Reinforced A and K Parts
Universals (rear only)
Assorted blue Tamiya parts, driveshafts, spur gear mount, heat sink, etc.
Castle Creations SV2 ESC w/5700kv 1406 4-pole motor
Futaba 3PL 2.4ghz Radio
Duratrax DTX 5000mah nimh battery
Venom 1800mah nicd battery (I had it laying around)
Deans Connectors
Onyx 100 Charger (I need a better one!)
RC Screwz hex head screw set

Let me know what you think...If you have any questions let me know..

Well I guess I didn't read the forum rules because it won't allow me to post my pics yet...guess I have to start participating and show you guys later.

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnBlack; 06-21-2011 at 08:17 PM.
JohnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #1932
Tech Rookie

By the way..any advice on light kits.. I know it's silly but looks cool.

Last edited by JohnBlack; 06-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.
JohnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #1933
Tech Rookie

Hello everybody...I finally ran my TB03 today and am looking forward to slowly getting it up to speed.

This is my first RC in about 10 years and I'm amazed at how far electronics have come. I'm running a Speed Passion Club Race ESC with 17.5 motor with power from a Gens Ace 5000mah nimh battery.

My only mods so far are a set of 3Racing universal's and TA05 sway bars. Car handles pretty good on concrete in stock form. My next mod is gonna be some new gears because the stock gears are way to short.

What gears and ratio's do most people run the the TB03?

Thanks
Urabus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #1934
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urabus23 View Post
Hello everybody...I finally ran my TB03 today and am looking forward to slowly getting it up to speed.

This is my first RC in about 10 years and I'm amazed at how far electronics have come. I'm running a Speed Passion Club Race ESC with 17.5 motor with power from a Gens Ace 5000mah nimh battery.

My only mods so far are a set of 3Racing universal's and TA05 sway bars. Car handles pretty good on concrete in stock form. My next mod is gonna be some new gears because the stock gears are way to short.

Thanks
I have a 17.5T XeRun / Xerun 60a ESC and a 2S 5000mah 40c Lipo in my TB-03

Depending on the track I run:

5.77:1 (64t/27T) Open Tracks

6.00:1 (64t/26t) medium Tracks

7.09:1 (64t/22t) short / Tight Tracks

If you don't run any turbo or boost then you can run even taller gearing.
cheers.

TB-03, M-03, M-04,M-05, TT-01, DF-03ra, TRF201, SCX10, Stampede
.---------------------------------------------------------------------
tdunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #1935
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urabus23 View Post

Thanks
This weekend at the King of Cal race the Sportsman winner was running a TB03 with the EXACT same combo you mentioned with a 3.65 final drive ratio.

Jeff is using my RCGT set up from the showdown two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB-03-jimmy-wrights-tb03-set-up-001.jpg  

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote