R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #1741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face Re: Diff lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH View Post
Although I think this is OK, I wouldn't try it with anything more powerful than a silvercan. Plastic gears do have natural lubricity but this only helps to a certain point, whereafter the friction and heat becomes greater as the load increases. I had a 1/8 OFNA Pirate wayyy back when which believe it or not had plastic ring gears. The gears wouldn't last dry but would handle the power easily with some Teflon gel grease I got from radio Shack.
Grease would be too heavy in this case though so something like a Heavy-duty spray silicone would be a better choice. It is very light but is very slippery and is designed to lubricate plastic and such. Even a Teflon dry film lubricant would be excellent.
If your track is dusty and are worried about grit getting into your gear box, just smear a very light film of any type of grease between the diff case halves, bearing saddles and anywhere dirt can get in through, before you put them together. This should seal the dust out.

Yes, very important!

On a side note, if you did happen to accidently set the backlash too tight, here is where some sort of lube would be beneficial. Setting backlash should only be done with dry gears however.
I'm going to try adding grease between the diff halves and I'll try that Silicone spray. It sounds like good advice to me. I haven't ran shaft in a long time, been running belt so I could use all the help I can get.
I'm running 17.5 with a Tekin so I'm pushing the gears to the limit, the car so far is fantastic. I like it more than my TA05 that I've ran for years.That instant power out of the corners is amazing, and going into the corners I catch up with the belt drives real fast. Now all this car needs is a good driver!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #1742
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

You can also use Associated "Stealth" diff lube if you have some handy. It's what Associated recommends to use on the TC3/4 diff gears. I guess any other ball diff lube would work as well.

To me, lightly lubing the gears affords you alot more time between maintenance and/or replacement. Also, you would save the screw holes from too much wear and tear from all the screwing in and out as it already got a workout when you was setting the gear backlash.

I was really looking foward to running my brand new TB03 but I decided i'm going to sell it soon cause I have too many cars. It's still "plastic" anyways so it's a long ways from what I want it to be and it would cost a bunch just to bring it up to the "R" level.

A fellow racer had lot's of success in 17.5 with his self made "R" and boy it had some squirt in the infield. You would know he was coming when you heard the "whirrrrr, whirrrrr" sound. He did run his gears dry so I guess that's where the whirrring sound came from.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #1743
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Good choice. I ran the R for a while, then jumped over to the IFS conversion to take advantage of the bodies(NSX2007 ftw). Going to try this TB03 out of curiosity, and might switch back to TA05 if things don't go well. There are rumors of a TA06 floating around though...
TB03 is getting cheap so i think a new version of tb03 is coming out or even a tb04. YAY
HT166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #1744
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
An old school debate compares shaft drives to belt drives and weighs the merits of drivetrain efficiency and throttle response against the absence of torque steer and throttle "give." For modern high power motors the debate is all but over: belt drive is better (shaft drive zealots feel free to flame on--you're all half-crocked--fun--but nuts.) But for GT3 (silver can), the arrival of the TB03 renews the argument. I look forward to next season's TCS series to see how it shakes out. It should be fun! I love the new body and have wanted to try a shaft drive car, but the TB02 was just too dated compared to the TA05. Not anymore.
Both good but if you drive only on the track (TA05 sucks on the road, parking lot etc due to rocks in belt) get a TA05, want a mix of both, get TB03. Apparantly Tamiya says that the TB03 has almost no torque steer due to the TB EVO Drivetrain. I am getting a TB03 for the reasons is stated just now but i want to know if it can handle my brushless ezrun 9t and hobbywing 12T on a 20C Lipo 7.4V battery. I hate it when i strip my spurs in 3 weeks but i still want the tb03. Can you Help? Thanks
HT166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #1745
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH View Post
You can also use Associated "Stealth" diff lube if you have some handy. It's what Associated recommends to use on the TC3/4 diff gears. I guess any other ball diff lube would work as well.

To me, lightly lubing the gears affords you alot more time between maintenance and/or replacement. Also, you would save the screw holes from too much wear and tear from all the screwing in and out as it already got a workout when you was setting the gear backlash.

I was really looking foward to running my brand new TB03 but I decided i'm going to sell it soon cause I have too many cars. It's still "plastic" anyways so it's a long ways from what I want it to be and it would cost a bunch just to bring it up to the "R" level.

A fellow racer had lot's of success in 17.5 with his self made "R" and boy it had some squirt in the infield. You would know he was coming when you heard the "whirrrrr, whirrrrr" sound. He did run his gears dry so I guess that's where the whirrring sound came from.
hehehe, my TB03 will be making a come back soon... I think
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #1746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ooooo

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=120&id=9525

Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #1747
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
That's a really good buy with all that hopup already included. I have a similar car but spent almost twice the amount over the year Damn you Tamiya
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #1748
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
That's a really good buy with all that hopup already included. I have a similar car but spent almost twice the amount over the year Damn you Tamiya

yeah, me too and even worst i don't have time to run it. just sits on the shelf lookin' pretty!
MOTORMAN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #1749
Tech Elite

Hi

I ran my TB03-R today with my brother... Went okay with my 27T motor, I am still have to change the gearing, standard it is way too slow!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #1750
Tech Initiate

what sway bar set fits the tb03?
pyrodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #1751
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodon View Post
what sway bar set fits the tb03?
TA05
junn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #1752
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default tb03 setup

anyone got any tips for stock setup

car loses rear traction on corner entry, im not used to setting up shaft drives

please help!!!
junn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #1753
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junn View Post
anyone got any tips for stock setup

car loses rear traction on corner entry, im not used to setting up shaft drives

please help!!!
whats your rear droop setting at? you need to post your entire set up so everyone else can help you troubleshoot.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #1754
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TCS ready TB03 for sale

Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #1755
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

has anyone tried the light wt. reversable SHORT suspension arms on their tb03? tam53928. I bought the set of four thinking that was what was on the car and BAM the stock arms are about 1.5-2mm longer. Using the short arms i think I will have to use the "C" mounts up front like the 416 does. The "A" mounts on the tb03 are too narrow to use with the short arms. anyone here play with this mod? thanks.

Last edited by fat500; 06-12-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: more
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote