R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #1651
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
Anyways, I've seen some of you guys mention racing TCS in Maryland and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Glen Burnie race. I'm planning on going out there this summer and was wondering what their tracks are like (indoor, outdoor, carpet, asphalt, sticky, loose, tight, open, etc). Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
The track at Glen Burnie is outdoor, course asphalt, pretty good traction (they prep the racing line with something sticky, and usually open. It is not a permenant track, the local racing club sets up the track before each race. the straight is almost always 100ft. Their are no outlets for electricity but enough people bring generators and share. A couple of $$$ for gas will cover you for the day. The locals are a great bunch of racers and provide a friendly/helpful atmosphere.

P.S. Installing LED headlights would probably be nice, since there is a chance of the late mains running just past dusk. *Wink*
Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #1652
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Need a bit of help. My buddy bought my TB03 off me and has learned to drive with it. Its been bumped and broken but we have replaced all the broken steering knuckles and C hubs as its been damaged. He is better at driving it now but it pulls HARD left under acceleration. When I used to race it I noticed some torque steer because it being shaft drive but this is crazy.

The car is a 17.5 with a 4.29 final drive set up for RCGT. The ride height is 5 front 5.5 rear and the droop is about 9 total. The car is spooled on the front with CVD's and run on carpet. The rear diff seems smooth also running CVD's. I can't feel anything is in the drive train binding and the shocks all are bled, smooth and working nicely.

Any ideas? I need to look at the car tonight at the track and try to get it to not pull to the left so hard. He is getting really frustrated with it.
Xray T3 RCGT
www.rcmadness.freeforums.org
CSaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1653
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Need a bit of help. My buddy bought my TB03 off me and has learned to drive with it. Its been bumped and broken but we have replaced all the broken steering knuckles and C hubs as its been damaged. He is better at driving it now but it pulls HARD left under acceleration. When I used to race it I noticed some torque steer because it being shaft drive but this is crazy.

The car is a 17.5 with a 4.29 final drive set up for RCGT. The ride height is 5 front 5.5 rear and the droop is about 9 total. The car is spooled on the front with CVD's and run on carpet. The rear diff seems smooth also running CVD's. I can't feel anything is in the drive train binding and the shocks all are bled, smooth and working nicely.

Any ideas? I need to look at the car tonight at the track and try to get it to not pull to the left so hard. He is getting really frustrated with it.
check your tweak (shock length, droop screws, tweaked chassis). as well as left to right balance.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #1654
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i'm planning to run my TB03 with CC Mamba Max 5700kv motor for the upcoming event here..
basically the chassis has been 90% hopped up with tamiya optional parts..
kindly suggest me the recommended set up for the chassis..
currently running 96T spur with 34T pinion..
track surface is tarmac.
pls advice.TQ
VR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #1655
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6T View Post
i'm planning to run my TB03 with CC Mamba Max 5700kv motor for the upcoming event here..
track surface is tarmac.
pls advice.TQ
whats the equivalent for a 5700kv motor? 17.5? 13.5?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #1656
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
whats the equivalent for a 5700kv motor? 17.5? 13.5?
Neither. Your more in the territory of a 7.5T. Novak's Ballistic 7.5T is listed at 5800rpm/volt. Their 8.5T is 5000...

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...ors/index.html

Of course adjustable sensor timing and dyanmic timing ESCs make it much more difficult to compare...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #1657
Tech Lord

Quote:
track surface is tarmac.
pls advice.TQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
Neither. Your more in the territory of a 7.5T. Novak's Ballistic 7.5T is listed at 5800rpm/volt. Their 8.5T is 5000...

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...ors/index.html

Of course adjustable sensor timing and dyanmic timing ESCs make it much more difficult to compare...
wow... cant help that poor guy then. ive never run anything faster than a 10.5 and that was before the v203 craze. i say grab a set up from the tamiya site for mod...and just use that a starting point.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #1658
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaddei View Post
Ciao to all,

does anybody tried the 3racing carbon chassis?, how it perform? could you pls post same picture?

Tnks n best rgds
Max
IS anybody able to replay me ???

Ciao
Max
mtaddei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #1659
Tech Lord

Quote:

Ciao
Max
sorry max... i have no input for you. i have to keep my car TCS legal.. so that means i use the plastic and carbon reinforced tubs.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #1660
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
So, I decided to make the switch, ditched my TA-05, and will be running a TB-03 this summer. I used to love my TC3, and can't wait to be giving the shaft again.

Anyways, I've seen some of you guys mention racing TCS in Maryland and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Glen Burnie race. I'm planning on going out there this summer and was wondering what their tracks are like (indoor, outdoor, carpet, asphalt, sticky, loose, tight, open, etc). Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Markus pretty much summed up what to expect at the Glen Burnie TCS race. I think they spray sugar water down. I would say the traction is medium as far as asphalt goes. Last year they used a high speed flowing layout. The guys up there are really nice and friendly. Oh yeah and don't wear flip flops I did a face plant there last year while turn marshalling on no sleep....got pegged in the ribs by GT3 cars as I laid in the track, it wasn't pretty lol.

As far as set up goes, start with something on the softer side and work your way up. I would suggest higher roll centers, and medium to soft spring.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1661
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post

Along with what Hebiki said to check, I noticed you said you the front end had to be replaced as well. Make sure your c hubs are installed the right way. We had someone local to me get in a hurry to fix their car in between rounds and installed 2 lefts. Also in your inspection of the drivetrain, inspect the spool cups for notching. If they are notched bad, the axle will bind into the notch and cause weird things to happen.

Droop settings on tub cars can be a little tricky. Most tubs are tweaked a little because of the fact they are molded. To make more accurate measurement of droop on the TB or TA series cars, I recommend you measuring axle height using a caliper. Consistent droop settings will correct 95% of torque steer problems on shaft drives.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #1662
Tech Addict

Quote:
track surface is tarmac.
pls advice.TQ
As Hebiki said, the setups for 416 transfer over well as starting points for the car. I would use c blocks up front or maybe even d's for the stability at those speeds. Make sure you have all upgraded drivetrain and the aluminum diff is a must. White front, blue rear springs would be a good starting point. Make sure you watch the bottom of the chassis for scraping. Going that fast its easy to do and will make the car slide all over the place in sweepers. If you need more detail let me know.

Your going to have to get the car balanced weight wise very well. Suspension settings need to be accurate left to right. Your going to have torque steer, but its not all that bad as long as the car is set up right.

You can run 64 pitch if you prefer, but I recommend that you just use 48 pitch for the strength for mod. Belt drive's absorb a lot of the backlash from braking, and accelerating and fair better with 64 pitch. Shaft drives have no give....your pinion and spur teeth being the smallest contact points in the drivetrain will give first. I've run 4 turn brushless with no issues in reliability with my TB03.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #1663
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
ive never run anything faster than a 10.5 and that was before the v203 craze.
No kidding on v.203 17.5 is almost as fast as 10.5 It's all mod now lol

Oh but do you remember the brake problem I had at the nats?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #1664
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
As Hebiki said, the setups for 416 transfer over well as starting points for the car. I would use c blocks up front or maybe even d's for the stability at those speeds. Make sure you have all upgraded drivetrain and the aluminum diff is a must. White front, blue rear springs would be a good starting point. Make sure you watch the bottom of the chassis for scraping. Going that fast its easy to do and will make the car slide all over the place in sweepers. If you need more detail let me know.

Your going to have to get the car balanced weight wise very well. Suspension settings need to be accurate left to right. Your going to have torque steer, but its not all that bad as long as the car is set up right.

You can run 64 pitch if you prefer, but I recommend that you just use 48 pitch for the strength for mod. Belt drive's absorb a lot of the backlash from braking, and accelerating and fair better with 64 pitch. Shaft drives have no give....your pinion and spur teeth being the smallest contact points in the drivetrain will give first. I've run 4 turn brushless with no issues in reliability with my TB03.
dont forget anti-wear grease on the uni pins if you're using a spool.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #1665
Tech Addict

Quote:

Ciao
Max
Max, mi dispiace tanto.

A guy I race with is ordering this kit to try out. I'm building it for him so I will let you know how it works out when he gets the chassis.