ROAR PARTNERS WITH HISTORY CHANNEL IN NEW SEASON OF ICE TRUCKERS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR PARTNERS WITH HISTORY CHANNEL IN NEW SEASON OF ICE TRUCKERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

tomkelly - letting you know.. Please contact Shawn Palmer at [email protected] regarding your contact info. We will need assistance from the membership for the last three of the events with timing/scoring equipment and personnel.

Dawn
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So this is what my membership fee is going towards???

Promoting Radio Control Hobbies at full-scale race events with hundreds of thousands of potial new hobbyists walking by to see?

Cool
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

I'm slightly confused. Isn't ROAR a racing organization? I'd think time and energy working on their racing series is a better allocation of time/money.

I've attached the mission statement, and while you can say that they are promoting the "sport" the real mission is mentioned that the most important level is the club level...which I think is really being left behind.

WHAT IS ROAR?
ROAR (Remotely Operated Auto Racers) is the National non-profit corporation organized to promote the sport of radio controlled model car racing. ROAR was originally organized in 1967, and has steadily grown and evolved as the sport has grown.

ROAR is made up of 12 Regions in the United States plus Canada. Each Region has a Director nominated and elected by the members in the Region. This gives the members someone they can communicate with directly regarding issues in the Region, and within ROAR. Each Region Director has a column in RevUp Online, our website newsletter, in which he is able to communicate with the members in the Region, and provide information on Region activities to all the members of ROAR. Specific pages on our website www.roarracing.com are dedicated to Regional news and scheduled races.

The governing body of ROAR is the Executive Committee. This Committee consists of an elected President and Vice President, and five appointed members. The Executive Committee controls and manages the business affairs of ROAR, and ensures that the rules are up to date. The day to day business of the corporation is handled by the ROAR Administrator, a non-voting member of the Executive Committee.

ROAR rules have been the guidelines for R/C car racing for over 39 years. They are designed to promote fair competition, safety, and define what equipment can be used in ROAR competition. ROAR does not run races below the National level, but it does sanction races from the club level to Multi-Regional Championships. All ROAR members are eligible to enter these races. ROAR is the North American representative to the International Federation of Model Car Racing (IFMAR). As such, ROAR is the only organization that is authorized to qualify and send drivers to the IFMAR World Championships. More ROAR members have been crowned World Champion than from any other organization.

The strength of ROAR is in the local clubs. It is here that the weekly competition takes place allowing drivers to perfect their skills, and prepare themselves to compete at the State, Region, and National level. ROAR has 200 clubs in the US and Canada. These clubs pay only $35 per year to be sanctioned, and to be covered by the member accident and liability insurance.

Annual ROAR membership is $30. For that modest sum, the member is insured at any ROAR sanctioned event, is entitled to vote on important rule changes, and will receive a copy of the latest rule book. Currently, ROAR has over4500 members, including those who are immediate family members who pay only $10 for membership benefits and privileges.

If you are interested in model car racing, you should be a member of ROAR. Here you will find organized racing conducted under sensible rules, and be able to compete with other serious racers. We have members ranging in age from under 7 to over 70, and they all share one thing; the desire to be the best that they can be. ROAR does all it can to make that possible.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
tomkelly - letting you know.. Please contact Shawn Palmer at [email protected] regarding your contact info. We will need assistance from the membership for the last three of the events with timing/scoring equipment and personnel.

Dawn
cool, i think our membership would be excited at the oppurtunity, Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

wow.....

1. no cost to ROAR

2. Free advertising for ROAR and the hobby of RC racing to a very large community of racing enthusiasts

3. Something different in the area of marketing a sanctioning body of RC racing

This is bad?

Hmm....
Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
So this is what my membership fee is going towards???

Promoting Radio Control Hobbies at full-scale race events with hundreds of thousands of potial new hobbyists walking by to see?

Cool

Actually, none of your membership dollars are being spent on this..... but yes, this is what ROAR has been working on with The History Channel to get the product of RC Racing in more hands of the retail public.....

Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dawn - will there be other RC items at these events? Possibly magazines, videos, manufacturer tents w/ products, and what not to help promote a wider aspect of RC. I think it's great that ROAR is helping to get RC seen by a more mainstream audience, but at the same time, this is a very good opportunity to help promote all aspects of RC, especially racing.

On a side note, I live about 1.5 hours from Pocono and Dover, so I might be able to make two of the events
Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Dawn - will there be other RC items at these events? Possibly magazines, videos, manufacturer tents w/ products, and what not to help promote a wider aspect of RC. I think it's great that ROAR is helping to get RC seen by a more mainstream audience, but at the same time, this is a very good opportunity to help promote all aspects of RC, especially racing.

On a side note, I live about 1.5 hours from Pocono and Dover, so I might be able to make two of the events
OH... crystal clear to me now... LOL... Yes, RC Driver is one of the participating sponsors of this event and they are tasked with promoting this event.

And yes..... we would love to have your help!! We are in need of ROAR members to help with the timing and scoring of the 2nd-4th events and assistance in repairs if necessary to the trucks. Your region director received email about this today.. but contact Shawn Palmer at [email protected] (or abailey here on RC Tech) to offer your assistance... we are in need of help. The History Channel will pay for your fuel to get to this event.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

I'm all for promoting r/c racing, I just don't think Tamiya truck racing is the way to do it. We're not putting our best foot forward.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Dawn, you've got mail >
Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

How can you go wrong with FREE advertising and promotion??

They are racing you know. Radio Operated Auto RACING

Last edited by Orange; 05-16-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by outlandr91
I'm all for promoting r/c racing, I just don't think Tamiya truck racing is the way to do it. We're not putting our best foot forward.
Um, Ice Road Truckers is the theme that History Channel is promoting the new season. Their approach is to market to the NASCAR group using RC Semi Trucks that were donated to ROAR, assembled and fully equipped by a ROAR affiliate.... ROAR was asked to provide timing and scoring for the racing event.

Does anybody other than Tamiya make semi trucks that are durable for this event?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can you also use this opportunity to put actual "race cars" on the track...? Hey, if it is a simulated ice track...do some drifting exhibitions!!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Since the trucks are donated to roar is possible to raffle
off the trucks at the end of the series I have always
wanted a truck for transfering beer around in the yard
at home

Dynodan22
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Orange
How can you go wrong with FREE advertising and promotion??

They are racing you know. Radio Operated Auto RACING
And NASCAR stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
And whan was the last time they ran an actual stock car?

This is good for ROAR and the hobby...!!!

Last edited by Nova F1 Racer; 05-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.