R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #241
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Yeah, but the next time we drove it both ball diffs melted and the plastic outdrives broke as well..
Holy jeebus... well thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Top Sabre beats em all....
I could imagine. I only read about it upon its introduction as well as your review on the FD. Both sure look sweet.
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #242
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Never heard of the Top Sabre... is it even for sale yet? Are there any distributors in the US who are going to pick this brand up?
Bill, T.O.P. is a reputable brand and there are several local drivers who race Photons and Rebels. Amain carries the Photon and parts, but I don't see them list other TOP cars, not even the Rebel. There are other distributors who carry TOP but I haven't seen the Sabre listed yet.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #243
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
Bill, T.O.P. is a reputable brand ... There are other distributors who carry TOP but I haven't seen the Sabre listed yet.
I contacted TOP Racing USA, and apparently they've already sold out on the first batch, I got the following reply here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPRacingUSA
Hi Bill,

Sabre 4WD Mini kits will be back in stock next week. Most of the parts are in stock now and we will be filling in the remainder with each stock order. Price on the kit is $283.99. We'll have a parts list available in a week or so. Let me know if you'd like to reserve a kit as the first batch sold out rather quickly. No deposit required.

Regards,

Michael

TOP Racing USA
I'll try to locate a Sabre thread for future reference, there appears to be large gap in price between the ABC Genetic for $160 and the Sabre for $283, the price point really suggests they are in fact in 2 different leagues

If parts are compatible between the Mini and the TC, that could be a huge selling point for drivers that like to run multple classes. That's why I went Tekno for a SCT + eBug duo
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #244
Tech Master

has anyone ever installed a rear gear diff in the genetic?

I was wondering if the gear diff for the Goose is a direct fit? If so, is the Goose gear diff sealed?

My rear ball diff wouldn't hold a tune for squat on the track yesterday, kinda disappointing there isn't a standard gear diff option on the parts page... oops!

The car felt like it had a lot of promise for all of one round of racing, then the ball diff loosened up throughout the day and I didn't have the time to re-tighten before the main as I was running 3 classes (race-marshal-race).
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #245
Tech Fanatic

Bumping this thread.... why? My new (to me) Genetic should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Genetics are great cars when setup right. Spool in front and med tight ball diff in rear. Cant remember the spring combo. Med sway bar front and soft in rear. Top Sabre and parts are located at TQ racing.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #247
Tech Master

Hey Josh, quick question for ya... I recently did a complete rebuild of the car inspecting all of the bearings and noticed that you only had one bearing on the center drive shaft cup support instead of 2... is this some sort of speed secret or simply a conservation tip to save wear on an presumably auxiliary bearing that's not really needed?

I've got to say that my (your old) genetic is quite fast with a 27T brushed motor @ 3.5 FDR... it was pulling lap times faster than the VTA's at our club during practice last weekend.

RJ, Looking forward to racing our Genetics together soon!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Josh, quick question for ya... I recently did a complete rebuild of the car inspecting all of the bearings and noticed that you only had one bearing on the center drive shaft cup support instead of 2... is this some sort of speed secret or simply a conservation tip to save wear on an presumably auxiliary bearing that's not really needed?

I've got to say that my (your old) genetic is quite fast with a 27T brushed motor @ 3.5 FDR... it was pulling lap times faster than the VTA's at our club during practice last weekend.

RJ, Looking forward to racing our Genetics together soon!
Cant remember why or how that happened. Its been a long time since I worked on a genetic. If it aint broke...
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #249
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Cant remember why or how that happened. Its been a long time since I worked on a genetic. If it aint broke...
Thanks... I'm in the middle of building an NRX-12 now which uses a similar layout on the shaft design, and I was tempted to remove one of the bearings for grins, but I suppose I'll experiment with it later to see if removing a bearing increases speed or not.

For reference, here is the part I'm referring with 2 bearings:

Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #250
Tech Fanatic

Just in case y'all were wondering, the front body mounts line up perfectly with my M-05 body. The rear, like the M-05, will need offset body posts. But otherwise the widths between the rear body posts are the same. Is this common knowledge amongst the m-scale gurus?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Genetics are great cars when setup right. Spool in front and med tight ball diff in rear. Cant remember the spring combo. Med sway bar front and soft in rear. Top Sabre and parts are located at TQ racing.
Not sure how your track is but in low traction asphalt track, all stock car works just fine.
Front Rear
toe -1 -4
camber -1 -1
downstop 4 4
diff solid axle medium
right height 6 7

The only concern with this set up is traction roll in high bite tracks. Lower the right height and put more downstop front and rear will resolve the problem.
I have severely good steering w/o loose rear end in our current track. The car's very stable and fast in and out of corner. I'm using 3.0-3.2 FDR with Sport tuned black brushed motor. That thing equals to 18-19T in brushless.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #252
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Not sure how your track is but in low traction asphalt track, all stock car works just fine.
Good to hear. I'm going to follow Bill's setup somewhat as I thought his car handled quite well when I drove it last week. Our track is medium to low traction asphalt (much depends on who mixes and sprays our surface "enhancer"). Layout changes weekly as it is a temporary course setup in a parking lot near the hobby shop. I just can't wait until I actually get mine on the track. Still waiting on a few more parts, but it could be as early as next Sunday!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #253
Tech Master

Here's the setup I was running last week at our track:

Front Rear
toe -0 -3
camber -0 -2
downstop 3 0
diff solid axle soft
right height 6.5 5.0

Hard Springs front (60W), Soft Springs Rear (30W)

*** Loosen both screws on very front of the top chassis plate to add flex for increased traction

More info here on other mods I've made:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=1916122

The most important thing is using thread lock on both the rear ball diff and motor mount screws to ensure they hold the settings.. I stripped my first spur gear as the motor shifted with a loose screw, plus the rear diff also loosened up as well on my first day of running.... now the car is nothing short of a dream to drive at our track.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #254
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for sharing your setup, Bill. We'll see how far along I get with mine before tomorrow.

Quote:
For reference, here is the part I'm referring with 2 bearings:
FWIW, mine was built the same as yours, Bill. It only had one bearing on the bevel gear side. Not sure if I'm going to plop another bearing in there or not...
Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #255
Tech Fanatic

Just checked the manual. It uses two bearings on the front bevel gear, and one on the rear. This is just like my TC3. There is another bearing relatively close in front of the spur, so the second bearing by the rear bevel is superficial.