Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Broken aluminum ball end inside of aluminum rear hub - HELP! >

Broken aluminum ball end inside of aluminum rear hub - HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I made the big mistake of putting an aluminum ball end into my new aluminum rear hub and alas the top of the ball end broke right off and I am having an impossible time getting out the part of the screw that is still stuck inside of the aluminum hub. Mind you, it was a very tight fit getting the ball end in there, so I can't just get a grip on it and then unscrew it. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked.

How can I get this out of the hub? Any help is appreciated.

I have attached a picture showing exactly what happened:
Attached Thumbnails Broken aluminum ball end inside of aluminum rear hub - HELP!-dsc00786.jpg  
Old 08-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Broken aluminum ball end inside of aluminum rear hub - HELP!

Originally posted by Accord
Well, I made the big mistake of putting an aluminum ball end into my new aluminum rear hub and alas the top of the ball end broke right off and I am having an impossible time getting out the part of the screw that is still stuck inside of the aluminum hub. Mind you, it was a very tight fit getting the ball end in there, so I can't just get a grip on it and then unscrew it. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked.

How can I get this out of the hub? Any help is appreciated.

I have attached a picture showing exactly what happened:
OH man that is ugly. The only thing I can think of is use a thin cut off wheel on your dermel and put a slot in the top of the broken stud. Then use a small screw driver and unscrew it. It will damage the nice aluminum piece but see no other way.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

that definately sucks. i've had to get a handfull of aluminum screws out of aluminum bulkheads in the past. i think the real problem here is that most alum ball ends are a 4-40 thread. i'd be willing to bet your hub thread was 3mm based on the fact that you say the ball was a tough fit. for me would just use an exacto or something to dig in and rotate it out. but mine was free to do that.

i think you may have to go in with a small drill bit. one would slide through the original threads with minimal clearance (try another hole to check this). then you may just have to re-cut the threads with a tap and use a steel or titanium ball next time.

if you need any of these parts go to

www.mcmaster.com

the tap is a very valuable tool to have. it will clear burrs, and it is usefull to help thread into plastic.

hope this helps. good luck.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just did something similar with one of my TB Evo III steering posts. Only difference is it was a steel screw that broke in the post, not aluminum. I tried digging it out with an exacto, but no dice I ended up having to drill it out (I used a #40 drill bit) and then I re-tapped the threads using an M3 tap.

Whatever you decide to do, take you time. You must not damage the existing hole or threads at all, if you do, you hub will be useless.

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

use like a 3mm ezout drill bit
Old 08-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

yep, use an ezout
Old 08-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

EZOUT!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys, I got it out, but severely scratched the damn hub up in the process. Oh well, it would have gotten beaten up after a few runs anyways .
Old 08-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

how did you get it out? beacuse i just did the same thing with a titanum ball stud.