R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Diff slipping

Can anyone that has a TRF415mre help me.

I am running a 4.5 Novak, When I do my diffs up tight as they will go then back off about a turn they make the car spin so I back them off until the car stops spinning and then the diffs start to slip a lot help would be great thanks.
16skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you're backing them off 1 turn as you say, then you're probably backing them off too far. You probably only want to go no more than 1/4 turn. They way you tell is by grabbing one wheel and the spur gear and trying to turn the other wheel on the same end of the car. It should be very difficult or not turn at all with a bit of force. If it turns relatively easy, it's too loose.

Loose diffs lead to damage to the balls and rings and in the extreme, result in your diff melting.

Correctly set diffs shouldn't cause your car to spin out. It's possible something else is wrong. You should get someone to look at your car next time you go racing.
XRay T2'009 - Sanwa MT-4 - Futaba BLS551 - Tekin RS - Trinity 13.5
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Most diffs have you tighen till the spring is fully compressed and then back off in 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn, and i would not be running any looser then 1/4turn with any low turn mods...

My 13.5 was just wizzzzing my diffs in my touring car the first night i made the switch over. Same went for my buggy... Had to redial my diff and slipper!
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Tech Champion

The differential is very sensitive to adjustment. 1 full turn is a lot, you may need only a 1/4 or less to feel a difference. If the diff is slipping despite it being at the correct adjustment the best thing to do is strip it right down, flipping the diff plates, clean and relube.

If that doesnt cure it then the only thing to do is a full rebuild, using the same outdrives if they are not too worn and renew the other components, period.

the diff spring, bolt, nut, thrust race and diff plates/balls are all important items on a rebuild, trying to save a few $ might result in the diff still slipping.... That said, make sure the diff bolt and nut are not stripped, it may be something as simple as that
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice
Default re

If you want slip free diffs you MUST purchase 400 grit wet paper. Sanding the rings will help grip the balls and they will be able to do there job more effectively(rolling rather than sliding between the plates). Also do not use too much grease, only enough to cover the balls and a light coat on the rings. Also breaking in a diff(in the car) is just as important as the rebuild itself, start with a somewhat tight diff(may slip a little). Set the car on a stand so the wheels do not touch and turn it on, you must then hold the throttle at about 25% throttle and hold one rear wheel at a time for 30-40 seconds at a time. Repeat that step 2 times each side, check for slipping, if it does, tighten by 1/4 turn and repeat above step. Do this until it does not slip anymore....with this technique your diff should last quite a bit longer and will be able to handle the power your 4.5 puts out. Hope this helps!
Corey "Whitey" Whiteman

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote