R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2003, 12:54 PM   #16
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The Kyosho LapBoy is your answer. I'm not sure where to get one but if you ask antoniop he might able to help you(it's on his website). Go here to get some idea of how it works, it's at the bottom of the page. It only shows 10 lap times, though it counts to 99.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-31-2003 at 03:06 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:11 PM   #17
Tech Master

duh hello how many people have an m8 or a 3pj at the track both of those radios have a lap counter built in. just use that. I know both of those go to 99 laps.
John Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm too cheakskate to buy the Orion device, and Kyosho's Lapboy is long out of production (and slight issues with the silver tape that needs to be placed across the track).

If I need lap timing for practice, I just mount the miniDV camcorder on a tripod and point it down the straight where the startline is. Then replay the tape - camera has its own accurate clock for "elapsed time" on the on-screen display.

No printouts though!
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Orion device is the only way to go. I have a radio with lap timer (3PK), but never use the timer any more. Pushing the button while driving is not very precise and it also takes the focus away from driving. Kinda negates the whole idea of using a timer
Only problem I have with the Orion is that when the track is very dusty, the body & LED get covered in dust and it sometimes doesn't count. Nature of IR Other than that, it's great.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:00 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Hi guys ! Thanks for all the inputs.

I cant get a LapBoy, no more avaible.

I really like the idea of the Orion device, but it's out of my budget - unless I can find a used one in my area.

The idea with the video camera suits me nice, since I already got the video and a tripod. I'll miss the 10' and 100' of seconds pr. lap, but if I practise for 5 minutes, I'll get the picture at an average level by dividing the total time with the laps. It's not the easiest way, but it can be done and it's cheap and accurate enough for me.

Thanks again.
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:12 AM   #21
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

cole, i've got one that i'll part with for a good price to you. if you can suck it up, it'll be worth it in the end. i used it outdoors last year toward the end of summer and it was awesome. when we moved indoor it bacame a tagalong. let me know.
i haven't posted it for sale because i feel i'll again use it someday, but if you really thing you'll need it, let me know. we'll work it out.
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote