Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB Evolution V MS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
wonder if evo v ms will be disc soon as well since it's on sale for around $350 now.
where do you see it posted for $350?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drifter24
yes, these two arnt different from far... if evo 5MS parts do come out or if they have already... and partss should easily fit to it. since there not far from the design!

Here is what you need to make a evo 5 to evo5ms spec...

Front shock tower
Rear shock tower
Lower chassis
Upper chassis
Complete steering system
Motor mount
Spur gear holder
Rear propeller joint
Wheel axle
Swing shafts
Front and rear uprights are different
Front c hubs are different....

I still think there are some things I'm missing. Long story short, buy a evo5ms and save some money If you really want one. And please check out what you post so you don't mislead people.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Um, on second thought lemme plug my ears before you post that...Jason had one on fleabay last weekend for $445 but I missed it as I had to wait for payday. Felt good paying $359 for the (non-MS) Evo V from Dinball, and then the next day someonelisted one for $319 (non-MS)...lol, gotta luv it!

I did the math a while back on up-converting a 5 to an MS and I quit when it crossed $200 and still wasn't done yet...so I decided that since I'm only gunna run it in low power stuff like RCGT or VTA, I didn't need the $200+ worth of mo'betta. But I reserve the right to use the MS stickers as they are my intials too!

BTW-Hebiki, which compound tires do the RCGT guys run at OCRC? I think that is where I will make my nube debut, watch out! lol

Cheers,
-M

Last edited by ChattyMatty; 09-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
where do you see it posted for $350?
fyi,
if you are a dealer, tamiya is selling for that price direct via alisohobby.com

most shops are making around $100 or more on a kit, might wanna be a part-time r/c guy at your lhs to get the dealer price man.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty
Um, on second thought lemme plug my ears before you post that...Jason had one on fleabay last weekend for $445 but I missed it as I had to wait for payday. Felt good paying $359 for the (non-MS) Evo V from Dinball, and then the next day someonelisted one for $319 (non-MS)...lol, gotta luv it!

I did the math a while back on up-converting a 5 to an MS and I quit when it crossed $200 and still wasn't done yet...so I decided that since I'm only gunna run it in low power stuff like RCGT or VTA, I didn't need the $200+ worth of mo'betta. But I reserve the right to use the MS stickers as they are my intials too!

BTW-Hebiki, which compound tires do the RCGT guys run at OCRC? I think that is where I will make my nube debut, watch out! lol

Cheers,
-M
unfortunately, the RCGT Showdown will conclude this sunday but when i ran there last i used the pro compounds. saucing with jack the gripper was key though. sauce the rear tires first.. wait 15-20 mins then sauce the front. the shorter u wait, the more aggressive your car.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty

Cheers,
-M

It is absolutely better to get the MS version of any Tamiya. I was lucky enought to only pay 36000 yen, about 380, put got $25 worth of coupons to buy tires and such for it at my LHS. I was looking at a HB cyclone pre owned for 175, but need shocks ($100), servo, battery mounts ($20), so opted for the EVO V MS.

Got my track debut this Sunday in the 23T class, using sorex 40 tires (its hot here), orange foam, flap road cling, LTC body (just got it from AMAIN in FIVE days!)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YDBD
It is absolutely better to get the MS version of any Tamiya. I was lucky enought to only pay 36000 yen, about 380, put got $25 worth of coupons to buy tires and such for it at my LHS. I was looking at a HB cyclone pre owned for 175, but need shocks ($100), servo, battery mounts ($20), so opted for the EVO V MS.

Got my track debut this Sunday in the 23T class, using sorex 40 tires (its hot here), orange foam, flap road cling, LTC body (just got it from AMAIN in FIVE days!)
Good luck on your debut race You'll love the car I'm sure. I love mine, just haven't been able to use it lately due to not having a part I needed but I have one coming to me now Its a very fast car and sounds amazing at top speed. One of my favorite chassis of all time.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Hey guys I have a super clean Evo 4 MS I'm willing to sell. It was used in a mag shoot and run a handful of times. I set it up for RCGT but haven't run it. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by RAL; 09-14-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmie
Good luck on your debut race You'll love the car I'm sure. I love mine, just haven't been able to use it lately due to not having a part I needed but I have one coming to me now Its a very fast car and sounds amazing at top speed. One of my favorite chassis of all time.
Thanks,

I opted for the EVO V MS due to my buddy PGeldz climbing the B Main ladder from the back and advancing to the A main. Tho he is a better driver, at least I'll have a chance...one in a million....so you're saying there's a chance....
Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks,

I opted for the EVO V MS due to my buddy PGeldz climbing the B Main ladder from the back and advancing to the A main. Tho he is a better driver, at least I'll have a chance...one in a million....so you're saying there's a chance....
Isn't that a movie line from somewhere?

Does your buddy have a evo as well? Or you saying you bought the evo to have a chance at beating him? If he has one too copy his setup

The stock setup for the MS is pretty good for stock racing. Are you using the one way or changing the front diff with something else? One word of advice about the car is to check for tweak if you get into a wreck. With only one center post they can tweak easy in a head on. If you need some setup ups let me know
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

dumb and dumber...

Yeah, pgeldz has the evo Vms too. I was looking at the tigermoth lcg, but woulda been about 200 more...

Using the front one way and stock set up. I switched the front cvd's to aluminum as pgeldz suggested. He kept cracking the front spider gear in the diff. The aluminum ones bend and you can keep going, if your diff drops a few teeth you're out...

yes, I am going to copy his set up, actually I was gonna switch cars at the race and let him work on mine...but the guy at the LHS talks too much...
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Addict

dumb and dumber...

Yeah, pgeldz has the evo Vms too. I was looking at the tigermoth lcg, but woulda been about 200 more...

Using the front one way and stock set up. I switched the front cvd's to aluminum as pgeldz suggested. He kept cracking the front spider gear in the diff. The aluminum ones bend and you can keep going, if your diff drops a few teeth you're out...

yes, I am going to copy his set up, actually I was gonna switch cars at the race and let him work on mine...but the guy at the LHS talks too much...
I think your friend has his backlash set incorrectly in his car to be breaking gears. I have ran a spool/direct coupler in mine from the day I built it and have not broke any gears yet. That and I've ran the car with 17.5, 13.5, and 4 turn brushless. If he installed the shims like the instructions say without checking the backlash, its probably the problem. The shim amounts in the instructions are only a guideline or starting point to setting the shims right.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Maybe on the shims, but even the LHS shop said the front diff gears crack...and he's a Tamiya dealer, driver etc...

It may be due to our driving and impacts...not from the car set up...
Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

The debut race...

Well didn't make the B main as planned as we had 25 entries in the 23T class, not the usual 20...

For practice I was taking it pretty easy and giving way to traffic, until some guy wanted a battle and I over corrected and BAM into the side wall, busted the front right C hub and pulled the back turnbuckle screw....lucky Paulie had extras...

back in to the quals....1st qual did pretty good, 5th, but the top 4 lapped me twice...ouch...ran stock set up with 36R sorex tires.

2nd qual, not quite as good think I took 6/7, but no breakage. Forgot to sauce my tires....got slippy.

C main, made it round the course fine, think I placed around 5th or 6th, results not posted till Thursday. Ran 40R sorex tires, got hot on the track......

Overall the car did well, so did Paulies, but he also broke a right front C hub...twice....

On a sour note, we have a hak on the track, we affectionately call "Hak-san" as he is Okinawan. After passing him, I came into a 180 turn and noticed this yellow car at full throttle, as a made my turn he just missed my rear end and finally turned and went sideways into the tube. I fully believe he had intended to use me as his turning brake. Eventually he did break. I'm not fond of these guys...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hi,

I've recently purchased a TB Evo 5 MS kit and will be building it as soon as it arrives. While I was waiting I was hoping to pickup some spare parts and/or hop ups. My plan is to race in the VTA class at my local track. The track is medium size (100 feet by 46 feet) of inch and a half of tennis grade asphault (high grip).

I have some questions regarding what spares, tuning and additional building parts I will need to get for this kit.

I've come up with the following list of items:

Spares
- c hubs from the TA05 IFS (51293)
- front upright TRF416 (51332)
- rear upright TRF416 (51333)
- Short Rev Sus arms (53928)
- Sus shaft set (53825)

Tuning
- fr and rr stabilizer set (Can someone point me to a part number?)
- fr and rr onroad spring set (Can someone point me to a part number?)
- Suspension mounts/blocks (Can I use the TRF416 blocks?)

Building
Shims/spacers - Is there a certain size that I should get in addition to what comes with the kit? I'm sure it varies from kit to kit but was there certain areas of the car that required more shims/spacers then stated in the manual?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.