Lap Timing Systems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lap Timing Systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry, my bad. After reading the entire post I got the info I needed. It looks like for an RC club starting out I-Laps would be very hard to not consider based upon cost alone. The AMB system is great but the price difference is a killer.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
Laps Free - Free as the name implies. Not as fancy as the others, but definitely works well and bug free. rctiming.com if you're interested. Our club has used it for 6+ years now.

RCScoring Pro is around $1,000.
JLaps is similar.
Autoscore also around $1,000.

If possible, visit some other tracks and ask to spend some time at the race computer to help you decide which program you want to go with.

I've been to races that use RC Scoring Pro and Autoscore. Autoscore seemed pretty bug free, but isn't completely hands off use. Plus they nickel and dime you on every feature.

RCScoring pro had major issues at the Sweetwater Championships last month. Basically they were forced to reboot the computer after every heat, and during the Nitro mains it would just suddenly stop scoring, forcing them to score by hand a 45 minute Main. (Yuck!!) That club has gone back to Autoscore for the Region 10 Nitro championships from what I understand. I've heard similar horror stories about every scoring system though. *shrug* RCSP has the best support though.

Paul
I told Deej at Sweetwater about your post and he wasn't thrilled you posted your guess as to what happened there. He said he thinks their problem is with their USB to serial converter.

Autoscore starts at $595, RC Scoring Pro starts at $599, and JLAP's Pro version is $650. Bill at Autoscore is the pioneer in this industry, and he has announced that he is retiring at the end of the year. I hope he enjoys his weekends with no tech support calls!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, our problem is with the USB/serial converter, not RC Scoring Pro! Because of this issue we have had I can tell you this, if you go with RC Scoring Pro you will have some great customer support... Doug is top notch and cares for his customers!

DJ

æ
Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm proud to annouced that our new off-road track will be using I-lap R/C timing system fulltime, We will be testing the system in the following weeks and see if it can handle the rough terrain of off-road racing. Please check out out new website goldenhillsraceway.com
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Looking for a cheap decoder box. PLease PM me.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

what kind of decoder are you looking at?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have an old AMB 8800 decoder box and PC. $250 Shipped.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
what kind of decoder are you looking at?
Wow great question. I have rcscoiring pro. really not sure what it uses.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

1) AMBrc3, (can use personal transponders)the latest system out. Came out Sept 06.

2) AMBrc system (can use personal transponders)Came out around 99. so anything other is at least 10 years old

3)AMB20 (will NOT work with personal transponders)(the system before "rc"). Stopped selling these in 1998.

4) AMB8800 with 20 conversion. (will NOT work with personal transponders) Most 8800 came with a hard wired PC card. This will only work in a "full size computer".

5) AMB8800 OR 8300 (will NOT work with personal transponders)

6) AMB8100, (will NOT work with personal transponders) only good for a museum!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro
I told Deej at Sweetwater about your post and he wasn't thrilled you posted your guess as to what happened there. He said he thinks their problem is with their USB to serial converter.

Autoscore starts at $595, RC Scoring Pro starts at $599, and JLAP's Pro version is $650. Bill at Autoscore is the pioneer in this industry, and he has announced that he is retiring at the end of the year. I hope he enjoys his weekends with no tech support calls!
All programs are bound to issues. As karma would have it, right after I posted this, a computer on Vista had a meltdown with Laps Free. *shrug* Like I said, at times I've seen issues with them all.

But as to the issues at that race, the original poster asked for opinions. I gave him a synopsis of my experiences since I've personally used Autoscore and Laps Free and attended races with RCSP. I also mentioned the fact in that post that you guys have the best support. Sorry that my opinion wasn't 100% positive, but then again, I also said you guys had the best support, so that's your prerogative if you want to come down hard on me. No worries from my end, but as I said before, I'm sure everyone has a horror story or 2 for every scoring program out there.

Paul
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
You're right AMB is magnetic induction. I didn't realize that.

Common sense tells me that Nitro fuel residue and mud don't make for a good environment to an exposed transponder. In on-road it probably isn't as much of an issue, but in off-road I would think that LOS issues can occur based on mud getting on the cars, or fuel/exhaust getting on the transponder since it's not in a protected box.
Paul
The transponder is not actually exposed. It is enclosed in a heavy clear shrink wrap and the ends are crimped shut at the time of shrinking. The wires come out through a smaller heat shrink that has glue in it. The transponder is essentially sealed. The covering is not the thin brittle stuff like on a Mamba controller, it is thicker and more "rubbery" for lack of a better term. When the picture on the website was taken, the photographer (no names mentioned) removed the coverings to get a better shot. The sensors and decoder also come in the same wrap. The covering is not affected by nitro fuel or exhaust.

Of the four tracks I normally race at, two use AMB and two use I-Lap. The two I-Lap tracks simply would not exist if not for an affordable system. The same holds true for hundreds of tracks around the world. One of the two AMB tracks has their loop in a bridge above the track that is lower than an I-Lap bridge. An AMB set up for a parking lot race uses a bridge too. I have never heard of a sensor being damaged by a hit anyway. As for marshalling and the bridge, the marshals are space out around the track. There is no need to navigate around the bridge, who ever is on the side of the bridge with the wreck gets it. We never even discussed it, common sense prevailed on that one.

If you search through these forums, our systems come up periodically and a few people sing our praise. No one who owns or uses one has ever said negative things.

Our systems perform the same function as AMB and use the same softwares. If the computer operator did not see the hardware, he or she could not tell which system was in use.

As for cost, no one is forced to buy a different transponder, house loaners are there for those who can't or don't want to spend the money. The race fees could likely be less for a track that saved thousands on timing equipment too.

Craig
(Mr. I-Lap)
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Robitronic Lap Counter System

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=675&id=7617

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=675&id=7618

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=675&id=7619
Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Was not trying to Trademark infringe, but PTX is abbrivatated for Personal Transponder. I didn't want to type and chance another mispelling.
PT has always been the abbreviation for personal transponder. I honestly don't see where you got the PTX from. Yes sorry I am a dick.

Originally Posted by robk
This is what amb is counting on. However, the I-Lap, priced out WITH house transponders, is like $850-900. The house transponders are personals with 1-10 for the last digit.

You can economically run a club track or start a track for a hobby shop with this system, and still have house transponders that require no charging
This sounds like great hardware & I am sure it is. With probably 98% of the usa using amb that leaves a small percent for I-Lap. Racers buy the PT's for a reason. I am glad there is another company that is out there besides amb. Business wise I would figure out a way to allow the amb stuff to work on my system. If he can figure that out I can see him getting tons of business.

Peace Aaron(W-W)

Last edited by Wicked-Wayz; 07-21-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slakr
Robitronic Lap Counter System
From what I learned at last years' iHobby Expo, the Robitronic system will only work using their proprietary timing software. You can't use any other software with it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Wicked-Wayz;4658018] I would honestly probably stay home rather than go race with a I-Lap system./QUOTE]

This is a troll...right?

If not, please tell me what's going thru your head when you think about racing without using an AMB? How would it be so different?

Are you a sponsored racer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.