Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lap Timing Systems >

Lap Timing Systems

Lap Timing Systems

Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fathead
AMB systems also need either a timing bridge for their loop or buried under the track.
Yes, I know. The advantage AMB has is that the loop can be buried under the track. Ilap requires a bridge (possible turn marshal obstacle).

My question is if its possible to mount an Ilap system it either vertically, or under the track.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

I-LapRC isn't the same technology as AMB. Sensors in the bridge point down and the transponders in the vehicles point up. An infrared beam of light communicates between the transponder and the sensor. That's why the string of sensors can't be underground or be be mounted vertically.

I'm not sure what your track(s) look like but if you place the bridge on the track at a location where vehicles might not need to be marshalled a bridge would never be an impediment to a person marshalling a race. We've run over 200 hundred races with our I-LapRC system and not once has a marshal tripped on the bridge.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

In defense of RC Scoring Pro at the 2008 Sweetwater RC Championship!

We did have issues during that race, the problem appears to have been a communication issue between the RC Scoring Pro and the Comm ports. After restoring the laptop to it's factory settings and reinstalling RC Scoring Pro we have had no issues. So, to say RC Scoring Pro was the problem is premature... it very easily could have been the computer. All I know for a fact is that RC Scoring Pro is very user friendly and an easy to use program... I'd personally use nothing else.

DJ
SWRCR

æ
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
I'm starting a track and I'm looking into getting a timing system. Which systems work with AMB transponders?

I've seen:
1: RC scoring pro
2: J lab

What are the prices for these and other compatiable systems?
I was looking for software about 2 years ago, after using J-Laps, from the LH, I purchased RC Scoring Pro and have been 100% happy. Doug's support is second to none... Great software....

As far as the other options, I have not played with them, because most people have PT....
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Most if not all the software mentioned allready that work with AMB systems also work fine with PTs
Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Deej
In defense of RC Scoring Pro
RCSP needs no defense. It just plain works well. If any major problems occur it's almost always user related, not RCSP software related.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Autoscore is $850. Gives you
Multiple Series Software, a DateBase, Resort, Points, and Added on for $150 for the 20 car version. Can run both serial and usb. FREE Updates for life.

I use it every weekend.
Using it for the Florida Off-Road Series for over 10 years.
Been used at the Snowbirds for 14 years.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

For timing software you cant really go wrong ALYCAT. All in one price of $269, great support and works with all AMB from the old interface card to the new New AMBrc3 decoder.
You can even download a demo / lite version that has no time limit and have a play to see if it does what you need.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

A company just needs to make a "cheaper" RF scoring system.

Antenna Loop: 75 Ohm Coax and 300 Ohm loop. Simple off the shelf products so tracks can install several loops just by calling Larry the Cable Guy.

Decoder box: Simple RF to USB interfaces. Adustible signal gain, Sector Loop inputs!

PTX's: Every PTX is the same. When you buy it, you login online and regisiter your PTX and USB flash your UNIQUE PTX number on to it. No need for clones, no need for having to remember what PTX # was in what car. All you cars have the same number. When you sell your PTX to friend, they can flash their number into the PTX.

House TXs: Every TX the same. The track can USB flash any number 1~99 into the TX so if they lose or break a TX a spare can be replace it without then need of a special order.

Software: Just need to Add sector timing and simultanous racing classes to the software. GTP and GT would love that.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It would be nice, but for a company to make that jump is a big financial risk. Not much market for it, and it would be hard to get a following for the hardware.

A couple of years ago, some guys came out with a new system that used RFID tags. Basically no battery powered, thin as a credit card transponders. Problem was the loop could only go 3' wide. Wouldn't work much larger than that. THey are fairly popular in mini-z's, especially since transponders can be had for under a buck! And they have enough memory to store racer's name, class, and a small image on it. All flashed via RF so no need to plug into USB port that part of it.

Paul
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trailranger
A company just needs to make a "cheaper" RF scoring system.
What does RF mean?

Who would this company market their product to and how would they make a profit to stay in business?

And just to also wonder......:

What's wrong with the AMB race timing hardware alternative, I-LapRC?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trailranger
PTX's: Every PTX is the same. When you buy it, you login online and regisiter your PTX and USB flash your UNIQUE PTX number on to it. No need for clones, no need for having to remember what PTX # was in what car. All you cars have the same number. When you sell your PTX to friend, they can flash their number into the PTX.

House TXs: Every TX the same. The track can USB flash any number 1~99 into the TX so if they lose or break a TX a spare can be replace it without then need of a special order.
Now that is a fantastic idea!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
What does RF mean?

Who would this company market their product to and how would they make a profit to stay in business?

And just to also wonder......:

What's wrong with the AMB race timing hardware alternative, I-LapRC?
RF = Radio Frequency

That's the hard part and the reason why AMB has a lock down on the business in RC, because they handle race timing on a huge scale.

AMB = Expensive since they don't have competition. Nothing against I-LapRC, but the issue with that is the line of site issues that tend to make it non-RC friendly, especially in a Nitro environment.

Paul
Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

RF is Radio Frequency.

Other events besides R/C need cheaper scoring systems. Besides being cheaper they need to offer flexible scoring options.

RF or radio frequecny is idea but other options should remain
RFID, each racer uses a RFID sticker, this would be helpful for events with 100's of participants: Marathons, Cycle races ects. The stickers cost only about a nickle a piece.
IR or infrared is a cheaper solution than RF some race promotors might want that.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just sold my AMB20 system.... but I do have a spare Charging rack for sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.