Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lap Timing Systems >

Lap Timing Systems

Lap Timing Systems

Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
What would you need to "refresh"??? It's just a red box thats been sitting on the shelf for 10 years. No need to do anything to it.... AMB didn't do anything to it for 8 years.
Look at the context of the word and how i used it. What i meant by refresh had nothing to do with AMB so here i go once more...

im just going to edit my previous post and clear it up for you...

"It would be impossible to be miscounted that way as thats combining RFID and IR at the same time, both of which are incompatibile with each other. The suggestion of having both systems runs in parallel is only for those race programs who have aging or beat up AMB systems and cannot afford to purchase a new system or repair the current one but still want to keep their AMB PT customers happy..."

Old 05-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

OK... That answered alot??

So whats aging about it? What beat it up? Its just a box that sits there. AMB didn't do anything to it... for 8 years.

Now a year and a half ago, I myself did update to the newer decoder.... and it was cheaper then buying an additional system. Might of had to do with timing but it was a lot cheaper.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

the box is all thats needed is what im trying to say, but if the rest of the system (the transponders and the charger) is getting old and beat-up and the transponders dont work too well anymore...from what ive heard its $100 to repair each transponder and sometimes they cant even be repaired at all. Familiar systems (SoCal...OC Circuit...others...) used a system that had about 20 house transponders and if most of them were in need if an update or repair, that factors to about $2000 if ALL the transponders get repaired, if only 10 need repairs then thats still $1000. What im saying is if the lap counter can support running both systems together, the race program already owns an AMB decoder, and the race program wants to keep their AMB PT users happy but doesnt want to spend a fortune to repair their house transponders....why not go with the I-lap system?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Terry_S
From the comments made so far it appears that if there were an alternative reasonably priced timing system available for rc racing that was improved and enhanced but also compatible with existing AMB transponders and race control software it could possibly be welcomed. We are right to be thinking it's worthwhile and there would be a demand for such a system. It does look like light based detection and RFID technology is not the total solution to meet the demands and offer equal reliability across the whole of rc racing.
we are not looking for one now as we had to cave to the whim of amb, but yes, i think they'd sell very well given they were indeed compatible with existing amb software and transponders as poeple are somewhat invested at this point.. if you came in with the same sort of discount on the decoder as you have on your transponder, i bet amb would have a hard time selling equipment at all to the rc community...

i also agree that if there were a us distributer, i'd probably own an mrt transponder, but the fifteen clicks i have to make to find the page actually selling them is troublesome.. atleast put them on ebay or something...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's a bit of a catch-22, people and clubs are as you say "somewhat invested" so then is it worthwhile even considering the possibility. Certainly to have a reasonable chance of success compatibility with exisiting software and transponders would have to be a major priority. A big consideration too is the cost, clubs can't always afford the current prices. Reasonable prices are required to make things affordable by even the smallest clubs.

Regarding transponders if we sold via dealers the prices would be higher which defeats what we're trying to achieve, namely affordability. We don't have 'one click' to buy due to offering customising options, we don't make everyone have a red case with break off tabs and a non-replaceable lead. At the very least a case with or without mounting tabs seems like a worthwhile option. You're right buying on ebay would be a good thing, it's something we're in the process of doing right now. You choose between two versions, with tabs or without tabs.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Has anyone involved in racing try the I-Lap R/C Timing System?
Hey, Just saw this thread...sorry about the late post.

There's a possibility there's an I-LapRC system running at a track near you. I'll call Craig and have him check his list of areas running the hardware, and maybe if you are still interested you can go and see it in action.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

I like the idea of the affordable lap system by ilap.

I would like to find out if it was theoretically possible to use both ilap and amb on the same computer at the same time. You could put both loops in the same location. Its just a matter of the timing software being able to accept counts from both decoders. That would make the transition from one to the other less painful.

I also don't like the idea of a timing bridge. What if sensors are installed vertically or at a angle? Is there a way this system can be installed, so that its not hanging over the track, or embedded below the surface?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Very cheap.. only $1600

for sale:
- AMB 20 decoder and power supply.
- 19 transponders, batteries in very good shape.
- charging rack plus power supply.
- antena loop.
- decoder to antena cable.
- Pc to decoder cable.

Please pm
Attached Thumbnails Lap Timing Systems-1.jpg   Lap Timing Systems-2.jpg   Lap Timing Systems-3.jpg  
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
Now that there are two competing timing systems on the market, maybe we'll get lucky and either AMB or I-Lap will give us the ability to have several timing loops around the track to get sector times.

I know that would be a VERY helpful thing for me, and a strong selling point. If there were several places to race in my area I'd probably be attending whichever had a system like that in place more than the others.
Most of the top products I think do have sector timing. They can only work though if you have enough decoders in the track which is quite expensive with AMB system
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm starting a track and I'm looking into getting a timing system. Which systems work with AMB transponders?

I've seen:
1: RC scoring pro
2: J lab

What are the prices for these and other compatiable systems?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Laps Free - Free as the name implies. Not as fancy as the others, but definitely works well and bug free. rctiming.com if you're interested. Our club has used it for 6+ years now.

RCScoring Pro is around $1,000.
JLaps is similar.
Autoscore also around $1,000.

If possible, visit some other tracks and ask to spend some time at the race computer to help you decide which program you want to go with.

I've been to races that use RC Scoring Pro and Autoscore. Autoscore seemed pretty bug free, but isn't completely hands off use. Plus they nickel and dime you on every feature.

RCScoring pro had major issues at the Sweetwater Championships last month. Basically they were forced to reboot the computer after every heat, and during the Nitro mains it would just suddenly stop scoring, forcing them to score by hand a 45 minute Main. (Yuck!!) That club has gone back to Autoscore for the Region 10 Nitro championships from what I understand. I've heard similar horror stories about every scoring system though. *shrug* RCSP has the best support though.

Paul
Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
I'm starting a track and I'm looking into getting a timing system. Which systems work with AMB transponders?

I've seen:
1: RC scoring pro
2: J lab

What are the prices for these and other compatiable systems?
Alycat works as well...Runs about $250 I believe. Works pretty good. I think most the problems I've had have been from a poor XP install and not the software. And they have great support.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tomkelley
I also don't like the idea of a timing bridge. What if sensors are installed vertically or at a angle? Is there a way this system can be installed, so that its not hanging over the track, or embedded below the surface?
AMB systems also need either a timing bridge for their loop or buried under the track.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
Not to be a jerk...but you are looking for "race timing software". AMB and I-LapRC are race timing hardware.

Around Chicagoland all the tracks either use RC Scoring Pro, or Alycat.

You mentioned you are just starting out. Both Alycat and RC Scoring Pro offer demo versions of their software. RCSP mentions you need to email them to get the demo copy. Alycat's is downloadable.

I suggest you get them both and play around. Depending on how savvy you are with computer software you'll need some time to understand how race timing software works. None of the programs out there is like Quickbooks. They all have a learning curve.

I run Alycat because it was affordable, I was familiar with it from other tracks I ran at, and it has the ability to just set it up and walk away. No race director is needed to call each and every race. For our club racing it works out just fine, and as others have mentioned the customer support is about as good as it gets.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been running races for about 2 yrs. I have some exprieance with Jlab and rc scoring pro. Just wondering what the other options are.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Please keep them coming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.