Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Single or double? motor help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Single or double? motor help

Okay so i'm looking online for motors and I see they say stuff like 10T single mod or a 10T double mod. My question is what is the difference between the two? Is there an increase in performance? Would this effect my speed control?

Also do I need a speed control for every different motor? Like if I have a 10T motor do I need a esc compatible with that?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Are you getting into racing? i would go to the local track and ask around what people are running. I would recomend a stock brushless setup if you are new.

As far as the single and dbl, not sure. and as long as your esc is capable of the # of turns then you can run 1 esc for all. An esc will usualy have a motor limit though, so make sure you get a decent one.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The 10T single is made by winding ten turns of wire around each pole of the motor. A motor is usually (but not always) made with the thickest wire that will fit. A ten turn double is wound with two strands of wire wrapped ten times around each pole. The two strands are easier to fit, so the total thickness of the wire can be greater than wit a single strand. A triple or quad would have three or four strands of even thinner wire, which would be even easier to fit, so the total current carrying capability would again be even greater.

Single strand motors are lighter (less total weight of copper wire in there) so they feel "snappier" tending to accelerate and decelerate more quickly than multi strand motors (less rotating mass = less inertia) Multi strand mototrs will typically spool up a bit more slowly, but have higher top speeds. The best choice depends on the type of track. Ovals and open flowing road courses tend to favor multi strand motors, while tight technical layouts tend to favor singles.

As long as the number of turns is greater than the lower limit of the speed control you'll be fine.