Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
"NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body >

"NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body

"NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body

Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Its a hatchback, only they call them "estates". Same difference as a station wagon.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by automator
My question wasn't R9-F specific, it was more of a general aerodynamics question. I was looking at the Mazda wing and the slats there. I do remember someone saying the cutout on the sides of the R9 wing are also to increase wing efficiency.
Sorry, I took the opportunity to re-ask my question since it got buried
Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

jla8874 -ha! you are from texas? Glad you have a good since of humor.

seriously though, anyone know the dynamics of this body? meant to be 'ultra' planted, mad down force in the back, etc?

sorry to ask so many times, just trying to get a feel without paying the bills.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
ottoman;
Yes - I'm working on the rubber tire version of the R9 as we speak. . It'll be released June 15th and called the "R9-R".
Thanks for asking.

Dale - Protoform
Still on track for the 15th? I dont see it listed anywhere for pre-order. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Definately Audi A4 DTM inspired Looking forward to the rubber version.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Seaball, thanks for confirming and sharing test results, very helpful.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Default R9-R Status

or8ital;
Sorry my friend, but the R9-R will not be ready for our July 15th release deadline. A couple of weeks ago I trial fitting a test-body on a few different brands of up-to-date sedan chassis (with the 63mm dia. tires) at the Reedy Race. I then realized I had more work to do than I originally thought. It just needed a little more clearance here and there as well as a slatted wing and few other adjustments to optimize handling.

PitNameGordie;
DTM cars are so wild! I'm sure there are more than a few "purist" RC enthusiasts who feel that RC sedan bodies have gotten too radical - yet they're not nearly as crazy looking as the real DTM series cars. The DTM series seems to have a serious following of fans in Germany (& Europe) where they sell out seats faster than they do for F1 races - or so I've read.

automater;
Sorry for slow responce to answer your question regarding the slatted wing detail. Yes - I believe that a wing (air deflector - to be more accurate) will work with more efficiency if the slots are opened ip with a dremel tool. It seems pretty rare that anyone takes the time to do it properly. Too time consuming I guess. ?
A friend of mine Martin Crisp - who's been one of Canada's best sedan racers in past years did take the time to test the theories (that I believe) regarding slatted wings and was also convinced there was a performance benefit.
I'll explain more in a followup post.

Best regards - Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails "NEW" PROTOform R9-F Body-more-cowbell.jpg  
Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you show us a picture of R9-R prototype ?

slatted = slotted ?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

No problem Dale. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it when its ready. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
or8ital;
Sorry my friend, but the R9-R will not be ready for our July 15th release deadline. A couple of weeks ago I trial fitting a test-body on a few different brands of up-to-date sedan chassis (with the 63mm dia. tires) at the Reedy Race. I then realized I had more work to do than I originally thought. It just needed a little more clearance here and there as well as a slatted wing and few other adjustments to optimize handling.

PitNameGordie;
DTM cars are so wild! I'm sure there are more than a few "purist" RC enthusiasts who feel that RC sedan bodies have gotten too radical - yet they're not nearly as crazy looking as the real DTM series cars. The DTM series seems to have a serious following of fans in Germany (& Europe) where they sell out seats faster than they do for F1 races - or so I've read.

automater;
Sorry for slow responce to answer your question regarding the slatted wing detail. Yes - I believe that a wing (air deflector - to be more accurate) will work with more efficiency if the slots are opened ip with a dremel tool. It seems pretty rare that anyone takes the time to do it properly. Too time consuming I guess. ?
A friend of mine Martin Crisp - who's been one of Canada's best sedan racers in past years did take the time to test the theories (that I believe) regarding slatted wings and was also convinced there was a performance benefit.
I'll explain more in a followup post.

Best regards - Dale - Protoform
DTM cars are real. R/C touring cars are supposed to be based off of Real cars,not some weird looking molded piece of plastic that looks like nothing. If it was all about pure performance, then maybe everyone should just race 1/10 4wd pan cars with dish wheels, foam tires, and ugly bodies. Look at the popularity of Vintage Trans AM, it's not because of the performance. This same thing happened to slot cars, when you could not even identify what a slot car was trying to replicate, now slot car racing barely even exists, if it wasn't for Scalextrc and all the Real SCALE LOOKING cars, there would be no more slot car racing. This body is a foreboding of failure and diminishing turnouts in touring car racing. Why? because there is no distinguishing feature of the class from a regular pan car class.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

For me I do not like the Trans AM class. I see that class as guys that just want to race scale toy cars. I am sure they take it serious and spend a bunch of money and the cars are not toy makes. Will the same thing happen in trans AM? Only 1 or 2 bodies really work. So now you have a class with only but a few bodies that are running. The same thing happened with TC racing in the beginning. A bunch of cool real looking bodies but then people found the Andie's Stratus. And it was over with from there.

I do not car really what a TC looks like. As long as it works!! I guess a true racer at heart

Great job an the new body Dale. I am really digging the lines.

I also like dish wheels.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
For me I do not like the Trans AM class. I see that class as guys that just want to race scale toy cars. I am sure they take it serious and spend a bunch of money and the cars are not toy makes. Will the same thing happen in trans AM? Only 1 or 2 bodies really work. So now you have a class with only but a few bodies that are running. The same thing happened with TC racing in the beginning. A bunch of cool real looking bodies but then people found the Andie's Stratus. And it was over with from there.

I do not car really what a TC looks like. As long as it works!! I guess a true racer at heart

I also like dish wheels.
What do you think you are racing? ALL of these R/C cars are toys. This is not a real sport, you gotta be kidding me. The whole hobby is a bunch of guys playing with toy cars. The only thing is, the TC R/C cars now look like they were designed by 5 year olds drawing for the first time. At least in Vintage Trans AM, there is an EFFORT to replicate something that actually exists. Like i said, if you want something that really works, race a pan car with a body without windows and a bunch of wings all over the place, then you got something that "really works" for all you "true racers".
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

egalsim;
You've got some valid points. Some....not so much. I guess you missed the many discussions here over the last 5 or 6 years that dealt with a very real issue that has affected the RC industry. It's about real lawyers that represent real companies (that build real cars) that love to file real law suites against anyone that uses a real name or likeness. Nobody has been immune either - not even Tamiya - that great company that brought us realizm.

Dale
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy

I also like dish wheels.

well said.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

egalsim,

That is fine you may not like the way TC cars look, I personally do. There are series you can run for the realistic look. Example Tamiya, HPI, Trans AM. Just leave my TC racing alone

Is this a sport? call it what you want. I never said nor implied it was a sport. (why is racing cars called motorsport then when they use engines?)

Dale is so true on this. It seems there are RC hobbiest that do not understand the real world of business in America. I guess another reason I do not care that a TC body does not have a true look.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.