R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Driving Tips & Techniques

I've just entered the world of electric onroad racing. I would really appreciate some general information on how to identify the "groove" and stay in it. You know, stuff like lines and maintaining speed in corners, and whatnot. I looked around the net and could only find some basic info on Tamiya.com about it. Is there a site or thread I can get some tips from about this?
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default driving

dude the best thing you can due to know where the groove is or which will most likely be the line is to whatch the fast guys at your track and see where they run and depending on what type of track you can see the groove ex ( dirt , carpet , ) and just go out and run where they are running then you may find you will need to gear your car a little different from what your doing now , and ive found that you can ask some of those same drivers and find out what gearing will put you close and alot of times they will give you tips on setup as well because that will play alot into you being able to run the groove and or line hope that helps and the best thing you can do is practice practice practice and did i mention practice good luck and always have fun and listen to those fast guys they may tell you that you half to slow down to go fast and in time you will learn what they are telling you
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2056 is one of the fast guys so listen to what he said.
I can add that you can practice crashing and get good at that or you can practice driving with precision and build your speed up slowly over time. To put it another way if you cant drive the good line slow then don't try to do it fast.
Good luck and have fun.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My actual RC racing time is still limited, but I've found that being able to recognize the best line on a race course translates pretty well from driving in video games. Most of the newer ones like Forza and Gran Turismo even have driving aids that overlay the best line on the track, along with braking and acceleration info.

Being able to look at a track and at least have a general idea of the shortest path around it using the apex of the turns, etc. will get you started and then you can tweak from there in the "real world" (when actually driving your RC car).

So even if you don't have a track to practice regularly at you can always hone your skills on the old Playstation. That's why race car drivers are fast in whatever they drive - even RC cars. They have developed the instinct to pick a good line on the track and then adjust the way they drive the car to each new environment.
Pauly6401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I only started racing about a year ago, and it was BAD. Crashed alot, broke alot of parts. One of the best pieces of advice I got was, "SLOW DOWN".

A member of the club, help get a basic setup for the car, and then dialed my radio down to about 75%.

After every race that I didnt crash, I added alittle throttle (5% inc), until I didnt crash again. After the radio was at 100% throttle, I started adding more gear.

Now that my driving is pretty good, and I dont need marshalling, I can work on car setup, and going faster. Concentrate on making the appex of the corner, and not how fast you are going (go slow). I pass alot of people as they come FLYING into the corner, over shoot, completely missing the apex.

Ps. And remember to have fun.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I started racing 4 months ago and as much as I hate being told to slow down, its true. During practice I noticed that my fastest and more importantly, most consistent lap times came when my battery was getting low so I simply geared down the car and have slowly been gearing it up.
Serpent S811e 2.0
Serpent S411 ERYX 3.0
www.norcarracing.com - www.franchiseracingproducts.com
Grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Tech Champion

+1 on the go slower. it does make you a faster racer eventually. Speed is nothing without control Remember lap consistancy is going to help you win races, not just 3 or 4 good laps strung together.
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Be smooth!
Trust me, the fastest away around the track is being smooth. Learn to be precise and always make the corner. Starting off slow will teach you this since the fastest way around the track is the shortest.

Driving around the track is not a drag race, slam the breaks, yank the wheel and repeat the drag race again. So be smooth in every thing.

This may just be me, but learn not to drive with breaks. If I have a stock motor, most likely the car can go around most corners just be lowering my throttle or coasting neutral. If it is mod, most likely the drag effect of the motor and the higher gear ratio will be enough breaks to slow the car down to make the corner.

Yes I do blip the breaks when I know the car is not going to make the turn. I would rather loose momentum for a little bit than overshoot the corner and add 20 feet that I did not intend to drive. Overshooting a corner can also mean being out of the grove and that could be dangerous. Outside the groove there is little traction and alot of debris that can foul a bearing, cut a tire, damage a pinion or spur gear.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Good advice given above.
Simply put, drive within your ability.
a great thread that can also put some insight into "how to" be fast is Bob Stormers thread How's your driving? The "Stormer error correction", thread.

also if you want a great driving tool look at getting VRC (Virtual RC)
To some it might be a game but this is a great way to learn driving lines, to be consistent and overall car setup.
Numerous guys at our local track practice on VRC and it has made a very noticeable improvement in the quality of racing.
Check it out on www.virtualrc.com

Also its alway good to ask if in doubt and remember to have fun.
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Dont confuse the guy. When you need to slow your car down, use the b r a k e s. When you hit the wall, your A arm b r e a k s.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive helped a few new guys learn to drive and some of the earlier mistakes they make is with their transmitter setup. If you dont know what end points are get someone to set it for you. Pay close attention to your trim left right settings and your percentage drive for steering. New guys tend to drive from one lock to another so 100% is too much for them. Knock it back to 60-70% (depending on track of course) and go up as you get better.
Also try and not to focus directly on the car. Expand you field of vision so you can see a circular pattern 2-3 metres in front of the car. Youll respond better to fast corners.
Just my 2 bob.
Eat more possum!
Lees52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Tech Elite

i often watch the throttle and steering hands of the fastest guys for a full 5 minute heat, mentally i still know where the car is on the track. helps me know how they drive (e.g. brake or no brake) and how they steer (fast, slow...) on each corner of the track. i then try it myself.

for example, some just straightline corner to corner, throttle off entering corner, coasting, then when wheels are straight exiting the corner full throttle is applied.
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I get the impression I need to:
  1. Practice, practice, practice!
  2. Slow down to go fast
  3. Watch what other drivers do
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Tech Master

I would also suggest that you get someone at your club to have a look over the build and radio setup of your car. Todays kits are very good at going together but some parts may need a little work done to them to make them absolutley perfect! The same goes with the radio setup, not only how the servo and speedo are set but also the handset settings as well. Make sure you have the same turning cicle in both directions and that you understand what your handset can do with regards to setting it up. Agan, ask one of the guys at your club and they will go over it with you. Above all though, make sure you have fun! All the best, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote