Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Losi Xcelorin Brushless >

Losi Xcelorin Brushless

Losi Xcelorin Brushless

Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Novak have said on many occasions they have nothing to do with this ESC, and are even a little sarcastic about the similarities in the design. This appears to be a legit ESC, and not an OEM job. Same with the motors. That's pretty cool these days, most new stuff is just a sticker swap. The improved appearance (no orange or purple) and extensive programability make it a pretty easy pick over the Novak, not to mention all the other great things people have said about it. The GTB is, what, 3+ years old now? It's probably the worst sensored ESC on the market right now in terms of flexibility, look and feel. It's old. Hopefully Novak has something new in the works.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

How do you guy's like the New Losi Brushless Motors compaired to Hacker,Novak Speedpassion Etc,etc,?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Novak have said on many occasions they have nothing to do with this ESC, and are even a little sarcastic about the similarities in the design.
We know, BUT....

I can only imagine that Novak was not granted patent rights based on their designs and products, if they even applied. If that is the case, then I think legal action would be required to stop someone from copying Novak's ideas and designs and putting them out to market. I mean the Losi ESC and Motor were copied down to the switch, just minor little changes here and there.

To me, it appears that Losi is either walking all over Novak and giving them zero respect in the RC Industry, or this is a serious backdoor secret relationship that neither party is willing to admit.

If Losi was copying my idea's, I would have them in court. Seeing that Losi's product made it to the market, then either Novaks or their manufacturers have licensed Novak's idea's, or Novak is actually making the product.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
We know, BUT....

I can only imagine that Novak was not granted patent rights based on their designs and products, if they even applied. If that is the case, then I think legal action would be required to stop someone from copying Novak's ideas and designs and putting them out to market. I mean the Losi ESC and Motor were copied down to the switch, just minor little changes here and there.

To me, it appears that Losi is either walking all over Novak and giving them zero respect in the RC Industry, or this is a serious backdoor secret relationship that neither party is willing to admit.

If Losi was copying my idea's, I would have them in court. Seeing that Losi's product made it to the market, then either Novaks or their manufacturers have licensed Novak's idea's, or Novak is actually making the product.
Legally all you have to do is change 1 small thing on any design and it would not be copying...Losi would just have to change a screw, and its a "new" design. Its what's inside the counts and where the real differences are apparent.

Not saying Losi is actually "copying" Novak's GTB, though
Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If they catch on fire they must be a GTB copy but if they don't well it is a new design.

Well just having the programming card and computer interface setup make it alot different than any GTB.

The programming card setup is something that a few of the plane brushless systems have been doing for years. Very nice setup and easy to use so a nice choice for Losi to do this option.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
If they catch on fire they must be a GTB copy but if they don't well it is a new design.

Well just having the programming card and computer interface setup make it alot different than any GTB.

The programming card setup is something that a few of the plane brushless systems have been doing for years. Very nice setup and easy to use so a nice choice for Losi to do this option.
True...and just having the PC interface features and programming card alone, makes it completely different system, as you gotta have different components and software to make this work.

And the price is much cheaper than NOvak GTB combos...Horizon already ahs them listed for $229 for a nice ESC and 10.5 or 13.5 combo, where as NOvak's is $259 for their 10.5 combo

$30 cheaper, with PC interface and programming card, and much better looking for most people than the Novak colors.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

got to Run the new speedo up at speedword yesterday, overall fist impression. speedo felt supper smooth. ( anyone want to buy an LRP TC Sphere)
Old 05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Losi and novak must have some kind of relationship, because losi's rtr's come with oem esc's by novak. Looks exactly like the cheapo xrs with orange casing and all. says, 'esc made by novak for losi'. Even if theyre not identical, novak dna is in there somewhere?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

I'm thinking there should be a new standard in RC TECH posting. People should have to take a common knowledge in RC test before there allowed to post.

I do not think there is any similarity in the 2 speedos. The one is a great value doesn't thermal, more programing options. The other one NOT
Old 05-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI
I do not think there is any similarity in the 2 speedos. NOT
Curious, have you opened your eyes and compared the two. The switch, capacitor, case shape, heatsink, plug location, wire location, order of the wires, etc... Almost Identical. How can you say there is not any similarity?

True, they do not share the same programming features, and I bet if someone did a bit of electronic tinkering, could find out that Novak may actually program their GTB in the same manner the Losi ESC does, just that Losi opened up the programming and offers the programmer/PC link.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes and Novak could be making it for them look at nitro u have a couple of companys and they make engines for other companys just change the specs
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I've been running the sensored version. The first few made it to the market this last week.
How much more will the sensored version be compared to the current sensorless model?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
How much more will the sensored version be compared to the current sensorless model?
You can get the new Losi Sensored ESC with the programmer, software, and a BL motor of your choice for a smoking $229.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kn7671
You can get the new Losi Sensored ESC with the programmer, software, and a BL motor of your choice for a smoking $229.
Losi's providing a lot of value for only $229. For a high end pro level ESC and motor BL system its a great deal. I just hope the performance is on par with the very fast Sphere TC and Speed Passion systems out there.

LRP Sphere TC combos- $299
Speed Passion Combos-$299
Novak Combos- $260
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Has anyone tried the sensored speedo with novak or speedpassion motors yet?

I picked up just the sensored speedo at losipartshouse - but i didnt grab a losi motor yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.