Originally posted by stekke
I'm new here just registered. I'm from Belgium in Europe.
I stopped racing a couple of years ago but I'm about to start again. So I'm looking around on what to buy. I was even looking at nitro, must've been in a coma for while I guess .
Anyway I decided to stay with Tamiya. So now I need to decide which model.
1. What should I buy? TRF414M? TRF414M2? TRF414M-WRC?
2. What needs to be changed to the trf414m2? Or does it have all the goodies out of the box? Are the pulleys ok? Dampers? Suspension arms?
3. How about fitting more alu or titanium parts? Which manufactures should I look at?
4. Is it true that the WRC has all titanium screws?
5. What is the actual difference between all the three models? M and MII just color?
Thanks for the feedback,
I will try to answer your queries as concise as possible , but if there are some missing information, forgive me LOL:
1. Among the three TRF 414M, TRF414M2 and the TRF414M WRC, I personally would go for the WRC version. It has all the extra goodies, such as titanium screw, new extra smooth coating for the aluminium threaded shocks, aluminium center pulley, new front stabilizer position, the World Champ setup and most of all, the WRC is a limited edition with serial number on it which is only 1700 kits produced worldwide.
However, getting a WRC version now would be very difficult and above the suggested retail price, as it is considered as collectible item.
If getting the WRC is not possible anymore from your area, then I suggest you get the TRF414M (silver colored bulkhead) instead of the M2 (blue color bulkhead), with reasons that the 414M has better bearings (ie. blue rubber coated bearings) while the M2 has the usual metal shield bearing. It is true, one might argue that the M2 already has the delrin differential outdrive and all the lightweight ball studs, but to my personal opinion, only the the delrin outdrives that make a lot of difference in terms of performance and you can purchase it separately. And it is cheaper to replace the delrin outdrive than the bearings.
Secondly, the 414M, in my opinion, has a better shock / damper set as compare to M2 (note: of course the WRC has the best ones).
2. In principle, the 414M and the M2 already has all the necessary goodies for you to perform well at the track. These are the goodies and the difference between the three:
- Front one way: all 3 models have it
- Center pulley: -414M and M2 : plastic
- WRC : aluminium
- Screw set : - 414M and M2: steel
- WRC: Titanium
- Rear diff: 414M: steel
M2 and WRC: delrin
- Bulkhead: 414M - silver color
M2 and WRC - blue color
- Bearings: 414M - blue rubber sealed
M2 and WRC - metal sealed
- Shocks : 414M - silver colored (Better)
M2 - blue colored (good)
WRC - gun metal color (BEST)
3. You can get either from Yokomo or Tamiya itself.
5. See my reply above, no. 1 and 3.
Hope the above helps you to decide.