TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X

Old 07-18-2002, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Transmission ratio for both cars is 2.133

hths

~Alvin
Old 07-18-2002, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
What is the length of the 7 long and 2 short turnbuckles on the 414M? I would like to purchase Lunsford sets if possible. Any advice? TIA.
38mm for long one, and use 20mm maximum for short one. Don't you have a manual book?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

414M owners,

I just bought one and need to have an all around set-up for outdoor, running both one ways.
What do you recommend to start with ?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 12:57 PM

Default Ralf : 414M Setups

Hi Ralph,

I have a couple of 414M setups on my site you can check-out.

www.mpowered-racing.com

Martin.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Martin,

Thank you very much. Your site is very helpful.
Do you have other set-up ?
By the way, I noticed that the shock lenghts are never specified, could you please advise ?

Regards,
Old 07-19-2002, 05:16 AM

Default Ralf : Shock lengths

Hi Ralph,

I don't recall what my shock lengths were for those setups. In most cases I don't worry to much about the length, other than they are the same.

Glad you liked the site.

I noticed you are from Paris France. I am taking my wife there for a weeks vacation in Sept. Should be fun!

Martin.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Default objective opinion needed

I know this is a tamiya thread - but I'm hoping some objective racers are on here. Can anyone tell me the strengths/weaknesses of the 414m series compared with say a FTTC3 or a losi graphite? Has anyone competed with top cars from other manufacturers and can compare?
Old 07-19-2002, 07:09 AM

Default patelladragger

patelladragger

In my opinion any of the top cars are great cars. They each have some small advantages over each other but they are all great cars.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

ok - rubber tire parking lot racing how does the 414 stack up?
Old 07-19-2002, 03:09 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

It won the Worlds this year with rubber tires on asphalt so their is little doubt that it can compete. Question is more like can you set it up to compete with the other cars. THe car has everything you need to be fast but the driver.

We have one running at our track and it is pretty smooth all around. Very good speed and corners well. The guy is not the best but it works very well for him and is easy to drive out of the box. Only thing I don't care for is the one way as I never run them. Cost about 60 bucks to buy the stuff you need to make it fultime 4wd. My EVO2 was alot faster but I'm a better driver than the guy that has the 414m2.

I'm going to really check his car out more tommorrow and will run it during practice so I will have a better idea tommorrow. All in all it is a very nice car and has great strength. It is one of the most durable cars out.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

I'll let you know tomorrow first hand my opinion since I've owned the TC3 (still do), XXX-S and Yokomo Special (and other older TC's.) I have yet to race my 414, but tomorrow will be my first RACE with it! Actually the first time driving it! Next weekend I'll be racing it at the TCS race in Maryland! I consider myself a good driver. Leading both Mod and Stock points series at the local track. This year it was with my TC3 which is really an awesome car! I use oneway for Stock. Depending on traction that day, I'll use it for Mod too. Only thing I'm worried about is moving back to a belt car and loosing the efficiency and acceleration that the "Shaft" has. Barry clearly had the fastest car(TC3) at the Worlds, but Surikarn had the driving skills that won it for him. But like what was said before on here, all the top cars are great. Driver and setup plays the biggest role to winning. Plus some cars are better suited to certain people's driving style. I think I found mine in the TC3. But I've always wanted a 414. I have mine now... so I'll soon see!

Jimmy Mac
p.s. Quality of the car is just awesome and easy to build!
Old 07-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, one note though about comparing it with other cars like a TC3, XXX-S, Yok SP. The diffs are alot harder to get to. Yes they are open. But you have to take the bulk head completely off to get the diff out. (unless if someone found another way around this. ) My my TC3, just 6 screws and I can wiggle out my diff. Same with the XXX-S. Getting to a 414 diff is alot like getting to a Yokomo diff. Spur changes are alot easier though for the 414 against those 3 cars. Everything else would be about the same (replacing arms, caster blocks, etc.)

Only thing with the 414 also is if you go with saddle packs. You have to tape or velcro them in. Plus being careful not to short them out when putting them in. I'd also say space can be tight for electronics. But I have all my stuff mounted on deck. So not issue for me with any of those cars.

Kit comes with top of the line stuff. Much like the FTTC3 and Yok Special. XXX-S you have to buy everything like Graphite conversion etc. All kits you need to buy tuning springs, so that can't be counted against it. Tuning it though is something to thing about. TC3 and XXX-S have good starting tips with what does when you change anti squat, shock angle, etc. The 414 doesn't really say much at all. I guess you are suppose to know this already since it's an experienced racers kit. You can just apply the TC3 or XXX-S knowledge to the 414. Same rules apply.

Parts, I mail order all my parts anyways. But if you like to buy locally, then it may be a plus or minus for you. Parts are easy to get for it (to a point), as it shares many parts from a TAO-4 I beleive. Tower carries those parts as well as SpeedTechRC and other places.

TC3 has a good long history of setups. Yokomo and XXX-S has a few. The 414 I'm having trouble finding some. But they are out there. Hmmm durabilty... I dunno yet. But it seems strong! My TC3 and XXX-S were weak compared to my Yokomo. So we'll see. I have spare parts just incase. I hope I don't have to find out!

Anyways, those are just some of my opinions/comparisons of the kits. Any more questions just let us know. Hope I can get it to work tomorrow!

Jimmy Mac
Old 07-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Jimmymac, wyd, thanks for the input guys. Keep us posted on what you discover with the car.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:43 AM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kilruf - When I ran the car, I really didn't play a whole lot with raising the lower blocks to raise roll center like Surikarn. The one thing I thought it lacked was corner speed. Now with the new setups, it seems to have corner speed galore. As for punch, the 414 accelerates quicker than the TC3. I don't understand it either. The only thing I can attribute it to is the incredibly stiff chassis.

wyd - You'll find that the 414 with double oneways is a lot more stable than most cars with 4WD! I never could figure that out, but I'll be more than happy to take the efficiency and high-speed handling of oneways without the squirreliness!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.