R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2002, 10:11 AM   #916
Tech Regular

The receiver in the picture is the R133F. According to someone who has the RX, standard crystals work. But I wouldn't trust him, otherwise I would have gotten it already.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:28 AM   #917
Tech Adept

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am interested in getting a new touring car. I am a novice racer and I am still learning the in’s and out of tuning a touring car. I was wondering what is the difference between the MII and the World Replica as far as the handling goes out of the box. I don’t have much tuning experience so I usually set the car to factory settings and learn how to drive the car. Will a TA04 be better suited for a novice? Thanks for the help in advance.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:39 AM   #918
Tech Regular

Dayten,

I'd say a TA04 is more "beignner-friendly" because of the (slightly) better parts support and simplified setup adjustability. A novice racer probably won't notice a huge difference between driving the two cars anyway.

TRF414M2 - TRF414M except anodized Blue. Better deal for you.
TRF414M2 Worlds Edition - Comes with much more stuff, very expensive.

Are you going to Sheldon's on Saturday? If Terrance is there, you can watch his TA04S smoke my 414M.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 AM   #919
Tech Adept

Aurra,

Thanks for the info. Parts for my TA03 is getting harder and harder to find. Time for me to get a current car with better parts availability. I will try to make it out to Sheldon’s or Castle. What time does Sheldon’s usually start? For Castle I am usually there by 7AM. Does the race at Sheldon’s take the whole day like Castle’s does? Thanks again. See you at the tracks.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:20 PM   #920
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

First post here,

I've just acquired a TRF414. It came with a lot of spare parts. I noticed it's a lot different compared to the MII.

Am I going to have parts availability problem in the future? Is there a lot of difference in terms of performance compared to the M's?Is it possible to use the TA04 pro CF chassis for the TRF414? Most parts are compatible with the 04's right?

I have the shock towers covered (local LHS sells approx. 6"x6" CF sheets at about US$50 equivalent and a friend has a nice machine shop ) The chassis is different story though because of its size. And of course the rear belt would be a source of concern. Currently the top layer (transparent layer) of my TRF414 chassis looks cracked. The CF chassis with bigger "weaves" (414, 04) seem to be structurally weaker that those with finer "weaves" (TA03F). My 03 went through some nasty crashes and it's still intact. I don't know what caused the crack on the top layer of my second-hand TRF414; the rest of the car seem okay.

By the way, the car was setup with the stiffer spring(silver) in front, softer (black spring) at the rear... Is this usually the setup? Right now I switched the springs hoping to get more on-power steering... I still have to test it yet as I'm currently converting my stick packs to saddle packs...

Comments please...

Hi Dayten,

Glad to see you here

Last edited by rough512; 07-09-2002 at 10:29 PM.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:50 PM   #921
Tech Master

Dayten: Welcome to the club. Unfortunately I can't help about the parts issue. Me, I ordered quite a few 414M belts and stuff from my local distributor just in case (mine's a414M, i'd get more stuff for your 414 ;-) )

About more on-power steering, try running less droop on the front suspension arms. I personally like to keep my front/rear springs the same type (i.e. yellow front/rear, blue front/rear).

HTHs.

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 04:06 AM   #922
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to slowhand

Hi,
Just want to add some more information regarding 414, 414M, 414W and TA04.

rough512: the chasis of TA04 (Pro/ R) is not the same as any of the 414 family. TA04 has a shorter wheel base than 414.
414M, 414M2, 414W (World replica) are almost identical and share lots of parts with TA04. The difference with the TA04 are : upper and lower chasis, front n rear bulk heads, Front & Rear shock towers, (some type of) belts, motor mount, stabilisers, bumper. Otherwise, the rest of the parts are 100% the same.

414 doesnt share as many TA04 parts as the later generation making it difficult to get a full support. For example, the front upright/ knuckles are very hard to get (well from where I am staying). Every one who used to run 414 simply bought the 414M conversion kit or these days get the latest kit the 414W.

My driving skill is not good enough, therefore, I wont make too much comments/ comparisons about any car performances. But I can tell you that you won't notice any 'significant difference' when the current World Champ run TA04, 414 or 414M /W in terms of lap times etc. Naturally, each car design has its own character or 'feelings'.

So, enjoy your 414 and RC Racing. Try to get the Tamiya Hard On Road Spring set and use the same springs for front and Rear as Alvin said previously. Use new tires with the same compound, inserts at the front and rear.

cheers!
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 04:16 AM   #923
Tech Elite

Thanks slowhand...

I didnt know the uprights would be different... I only considered the belts, shock towers and chassis when I made the purchase... How much does the conversion kit go for?

How come the uprights/knuckles are not compatible when the A-arms are?

Hmmmm... i think I better start calling my friends with 04s...

thanks...
Old 07-10-2002, 06:20 AM   #924
Tech Adept

rough512: the 414M Custom Pack/ Conversion Kit would cost u around USD280 containing: upper n lower chasis, alu. F+R bulkheads, alu. suspension blocks (complete set or rear toe ins from 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 deg n can be combined with 0 or 2 deg rear upright); F+R shock towers, plastic bumper, front C hub, graphite linkage plate, steering post, stabilizers, A front upper arm rack , countersunk screws, and many small things.

You can use the TA04 / 414M front uprights but need to modify a little bit. try get one of the uprights and u can see what u need to modify.

cheers
Old 07-10-2002, 07:04 AM   #925
Tech Elite

thanks slowhand...

So I can still use 04 front uprights w/ modification? What about the knuckle arms and the rear uprights? Would you recommend holding on the the 414 or just sell it and buy a 414M (or a TA04R )

I can only afford one car, so I was thinking of acquiring one that will last me and still be competitive for a long time. I think the loaded 414s would be a better investment than a 04 that I need to upgrade anyway...

the newer 414Ms would set me back plenty though so I am really curious how far the original 414 will take me...

your advice will be appreciated

Old 07-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #926
Tech Rookie

I will be running my first TCS race in August, just wondering if anyone know how much they enforce stuff such as screws, shims and turnbuckels that are not tamiya made.

Alvin

I have found the oppsit to be true in getting more on power steering. If I limit the front droop, the car dives in the corner really fast, and reactive, but It tends to scrub speed and push comming out of corners. When I add more droop in the front I get more traction in the front end throughout most of the corner at the expense of a less reactive car.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:06 PM   #927
Tech Adept

rough512: the knuckle arm / C hub is not the same.
The 414 is a completely different car and also the character. Again, i am not tempted to say which design or brand of car is superior to the other, as all brands are as good and each has its own advantage n disadvantage.
Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes, I might trade off the 414 and get a second hand 414M, because no one runs 414 anymore (i.e. cannot share / ask about setup). The 414W is just around the corner, so I am sure there are those who wants to sell their 414M (eventhough the two are practically identical).
It is really depending on your local situation. Here TCS (Tamiya series) is the most popular racing series, so if one is given only one choice (i.e. to own only one car, for any reason) then he/ she would definitely go for a fully optioned TA04 instead of 414/ 414M. the 414 family is not allowed to compete in the TCS. A fully optioned TA04 can be as good as a 414M, if you know the right setup.

Hope this helps and ........not to confuse you
Old 07-10-2002, 12:59 PM   #928
Tech Adept

Hi, I'm think to get either 414M2 or Evo2. Which one has better turning speed? Which one do you recommend? And how much for each? thanks
smash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:44 PM   #929
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by slowhand
rough512: the 414M Custom Pack/ Conversion Kit would cost u around USD280 containing: upper n lower chasis, alu. F+R bulkheads, alu. suspension blocks (complete set or rear toe ins from 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5 deg n can be combined with 0 or 2 deg rear upright); F+R shock towers, plastic bumper, front C hub, graphite linkage plate, steering post, stabilizers, A front upper arm rack , countersunk screws, and many small things.

Or you can buy an entire TRF414M2 kit from www.speedtechrc.com for USD275.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:52 PM   #930
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by rough512
thanks slowhand...

So I can still use 04 front uprights w/ modification? What about the knuckle arms and the rear uprights? Would you recommend holding on the the 414 or just sell it and buy a 414M (or a TA04R )

I can only afford one car, so I was thinking of acquiring one that will last me and still be competitive for a long time. I think the loaded 414s would be a better investment than a 04 that I need to upgrade anyway...

the newer 414Ms would set me back plenty though so I am really curious how far the original 414 will take me...

your advice will be appreciated

Apologies for jumping in, but if money is an issue, you really should look into the TA04-R. The running chassis (no body) sells for USD200 (USD221 with Altezza carbon-look body) and contains almost all the Tamiya hopups including wheels and belted tires. Replacement parts won't be an issue and it is a very competitive car. Check it out here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/kits/58276.html
The only major thing it doesn't have (and you may not need) is a front one-way. BTW - if you decide not to run your 414, hold on to it, it's a collectable.

Last edited by Babblefish; 07-10-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote