R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2002, 09:51 AM   #661
Tech Regular

You can still find "m" series cars In Japan. Those Blue parts for the M2 are made in the USA........
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:01 AM   #662
Tech Regular

I had a pretty strong aversion to the "blue" myself... but I got one anyway and I have a regular 414M as well...

I'm beginning to really like both !
jwwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #663
Tech Regular

Its alot better then purple
Old 05-11-2002, 01:27 PM   #664
Tech Regular

Hey 414Mers! I need your opinions on gearing and gears.

1. What brand of gears do you run?

2. What do you guys think of Delrin Spurs? (Integy sells some pretty interesting looking gears under the AKA brand. Check it out on their website...)

3. Does the weight of the gears make a noticeable difference? Anyone actually see a diff between steel and alu pinions?

Thanks folks!

jwwu
Old 05-11-2002, 06:50 PM   #665
Tech Regular

1. RRP and Kimbrough are good American brands.

2. Haven't tried.

3. You'd have to be Atsushi Hara (maybe) to notice such small differences.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:14 PM   #666

Default Alvin - Roll Center/Axis

Hi Alvin,

Well you certainly have picked up a lot in a short period of time. Your understanding of Roll Center and Roll Axis is very good. Your seem to have a good grasp as to how changes to the roll-center affect the handling of your car.

In general I think it is a good idea to have a horizontal roll axis as a starting point and raise the roll center of the end of the car that you want more grip. I am a fan of trying to put equal load on the tires as much as possible to reduce the chance of tires overheating and changing the handling during the race. As such I think the roll center should be as close to horizontal as you can get it. Also in general I like to run a fairly high roll center so I can run softer springs. I like to run softer springs to allow more front to back and back to front weight transfer to give me more throttle steer. In addition the softer springs will handle the bumps better. For exmple I will run Tamiya blue and yellow springs front/rear on my 414M with the higher roll center on high grip carpet (rubber tires) Sometimes I use yellow at both ends. A lot of drivers will use tamiya white in the front and blue in the rear because their cars will flip with the softer springs, due to their low roll center. The important thing here as with anything in chassis setup is to not take a concept too an extreme.

one ways:

Yes both center one-ways and front one-ways will give you more off power steering. The center one-way gives you more steering because only the rear tires are applying any braking affect created by the motor. The front one-way provides even more off-power steering than the center one-way because in addition to only the rear wheels doing any braking, it reduces the fighting of the front differential (as you pointed out). The center one-way has no affect on on-power steering as the one-way engages and then you are left with a normal diff in the front. However front one-ways lock up both front wheels with the power and the front pulls harder as a result, which causes more on-power steering. This is why front one-way cars have better acceleration out of a corner than cars with no one-ways or just center one-ways, where the fornt diff "diffs out".

Since one ways will give you more steering, raising the front rc is one way to reduce this steering, which is what you were saying in your post here.

Like I said, you seem to have a good understanding of how Roll center/ Roll Axis and one-ways affect the handling of your car. You also seem to understand that a good handling car is one that stays that way for the duration of the race. I have seen a lot of setups where the car goes away in the last couple of mins of the race because the car is not balancing the load on the tires causing the rear or front tires to overheat before the other ones. For example I have seen a lot of drivers go with too much rear toe in. The car is great for the first 2 to 3 mins, but the rear tires overheat becuase of the extreme and constant slip angle.

Last edited by mcrisp; 05-11-2002 at 09:19 PM.
mcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:30 PM   #667
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Usagi
You can still find "m" series cars In Japan. Those Blue parts for the M2 are made in the USA........
Are any of the shops online? Do they ship internationally?
Or would you be able to get me one if I were to send you the money?
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:59 PM   #668
Tech Fanatic

I'm just wondering, as someone told me that RC Champ in Japan has some 414M's, if they only do mail order within Japan?
Old 05-12-2002, 12:04 AM   #669
M 5
Tech Regular

hey

try this www.asiatees.com

they used to carry 414m, but they are closed at the moment.
M 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:57 AM   #670
Tech Regular

most shops don`t do exporting.......... only a few. With those HK people over charging you por people alot!
Old 05-12-2002, 05:23 AM   #671
Tech Fanatic

Usagi, could you help me find one?
Old 05-12-2002, 06:19 AM   #672
Tech Regular

rccarracer: have you tried https://www.hobbynet-jp.com/english/hobbynet.html

Old 05-12-2002, 06:31 AM   #673
Tech Master

Mcrips: I have a question regarding the front one way - I will post in the main discussion thread!
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:48 AM   #674
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rccarracer
Usagi, could you help me find one?

Hobbynet is selling the TAMIYA 49175 TRF-414M Kit 46200 yen or US$ 355. thats not a bad deal!

or this

victory edition.... 49220 TRF-414M Victory commemoration Kit 48420 yen
or US$ 372

withshipping you spend about 380 fpr the top and 405 for the bottom one i like.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:42 AM   #675
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

threaded shock question:
are the black plastic threaded collars for the blue aluminum shock set available separately? do you guys know the part nos? and is there an aluminum upgrade available? thanks for any info
i have the blue threaded shock set and the black plastic collars seem to be too loose and might move up or down while the car is running. im thinking of having another set of the collars to prevent this.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote