R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2001, 09:48 PM   #181
Tech Regular

Pyramid: You're right! I'm changing my Y****O-SP to a new car for a new season, which I personally think it is a over-rated car. A lot of people may want to kill me if I say this, including Mr Daniz24. However, I'm still a big fan of Yokomo, still waiting for the release of the 2nd generation of Y****O-SP!
Hope you are right about the performance of the 414M, I will be getting my 414M kit by next week.
I've also noted from your picture that you are using the GM-diode for you motor, do you think it is safe to use it? I still can't figure how it can solder onto the motor?
MIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 11:12 PM   #182
Tech Fanatic

Pyramid -- why 4 schottkies on your motor?

Have seen 414M and X-Ray at out track; neither can keep up with the TC3, XXX-S, etc. It's either the driver or the car.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:59 AM   #183
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKA
Pyramid: You're right! I'm changing my Y****O-SP to a new car for a new season, which I personally think it is a over-rated car. A lot of people may want to kill me if I say this, including Mr Daniz24. However, I'm still a big fan of Yokomo, still waiting for the release of the 2nd generation of Y****O-SP!
Hope you are right about the performance of the 414M, I will be getting my 414M kit by next week.
I've also noted from your picture that you are using the GM-diode for you motor, do you think it is safe to use it? I still can't figure how it can solder onto the motor?
You'll love it especially when you are racing on a parking lot or other dusty places because you DONT HAVE TO WORRY about things getting into your differential/pully gears like the YOKS.

Take my word....once you drive it, you'll hang your YOKs on the wall.

And yes, that is GM diode. I'm not an electronic experts but people are saying that it is much better that the regular one.

PS: When you get your car, don't forget to buy the #1356 TC3 Titanium Turnbuckle to change the original roll center.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 01:12 AM   #184
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by coolrcdad
Pyramid -- why 4 schottkies on your motor?

Have seen 414M and X-Ray at out track; neither can keep up with the TC3, XXX-S, etc. It's either the driver or the car.
The one with 4 schotties is not mine, It's Surikarns's. Schotts are for brakes I believe, so it does not send electric current back to the ESC (I'm not an electronic experts, please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you only have one, you'll have trouble when it become damage in the middle of the race.

Maybe Mr. Daniz24 can help us in this matter since I saw his car also equipped with more than 2 schotts on race day.

About the keep up things..... you need to set the car according to your driving style. No matter what cars, if you achived that combination, you will be hard to follow.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:24 AM   #185
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by coolrcdad

I'm sure it's the driver: in singapore we got ppl driving the 414M, TBEVO, Xray and SV12 and actually a whole bunch of cars to top places.

However, I've heard rumours that the Xray is too difficult to setup; several people offered to sell me their xrays because they said that their old cars were MUCH easier for them to setup. heheh.

Can't wait for the day I can buy a 414M

Regards,
Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 05:31 AM   #186
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Take my word....once you drive it, you'll hang your YOKs on the wall.
Really.... That's so rude
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 05:38 AM   #187
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Maybe Mr. Daniz24 can help us in this matter since I saw his car also equipped with more than 2 schotts on race day.
Using more than 2 brake diodes only for protecting your ESC just incase it is broken if U use only 1 diode.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:23 AM   #188
Tech Regular

Pyramid: Thanks for your advise. I have a TC3 Team car so there is not a problem for me to transfer these ti-turnbuckle to the 414M. But, why is it necessary? I've also noted that you have installed hard spring (white) and hard roll bar (blue) from your picture below. Is it the set-up for a dusty/medium grip carpark track? I assume you used heavy shock oil as well?
Thanks again.

MIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:07 AM   #189
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKA
Pyramid: Thanks for your advise. I have a TC3 Team car so there is not a problem for me to transfer these ti-turnbuckle to the 414M. But, why is it necessary? I've also noted that you have installed hard spring (white) and hard roll bar (blue) from your picture below. Is it the set-up for a dusty/medium grip carpark track? I assume you used heavy shock oil as well?
Thanks again.

About the turnbuckle...I just realize the original configuration will give you too much of camber change when roll center moves (cornering). It's around 4 degree in movement of roll center because the original turnbckl is too long and parallel to the A arm below it. The TC3 turnbckl (installed in shock tower, inner middle hole) will change the camber within 2 degree only when the car cornering (roll center moves). In other words, when you set up your camber at, let say, -2 degree; when you enter the corner, it will become close or 0 degree (all tyres surface flat to the ground). This should give you the maximum tracktion when cornering..........isn't this correct Mr. Daniz24???

Do not take my set up for refferrence yet since I really can not afford just to fly 1 hour by plane to try the car. That is the nearest race track to me.

By the way, I'm using 70wt Trinity oil. I'm still experimenting with the car. Maybe there are TRF drivers here would like to share their experiences.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:03 PM   #190
Regional Moderator

Quote:
In other words, when you set up your camber at, let say, -2 degree; when you enter the corner, it will become close or 0 degree (all tyres surface flat to the ground). This should give you the maximum tracktion when cornering..........isn't this correct Mr. Daniz24???
Yes, it will give your car more grip at the rear-end when entering corner, but a little bit oversteer when exiting corner (on throttle)
Old 12-28-2001, 06:38 PM   #191
Tech Addict

Quote:

This is Surikarn C. TRF414M at Indonesia Yokomo Cup 2001.

Surikarn was the Hongkong International Race champion, Atsushi Hara was 3rd, in case you dont know.
Now this is what I call "over-kill" hehe

I always put two on.
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:47 PM   #192
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

CONFUSED.........
DANIZ and pyramid can u please explain the roll centre thing and the camber link mounting position again?????
u got me thinking hard ......

lets say the right camber link is angled downwords to the left
in relation to the lower A arms THAT wheel will gain neg camber during turns say if u set it to -1 deg it will have -2 degree when u turn and the more angle there is on the camber links the more change there will be

but say IF the right camber link is angled downwords to the right
in relation to the A-arms the wheel will lose neg camber
say u set it to -1 deg and during a turn the suspension will compress and it will be 0 degree ...

thats what i found out but u guys said the opposite .... and IF the camber links is stright parallel to the lower a-arms there will not be any changes in camber settings if the suspension is compressed

um ... try checking this out with ur car plz ...and plz do explain all that u know ... PLZ do share ur knowledge on this issue..

TY

imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 11:45 PM   #193
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by imataquito
CONFUSED.........
DANIZ and pyramid can u please explain the roll centre thing and the camber link mounting position again?????

in relation to the lower A arms THAT wheel will gain neg camber during turns say if u set it to -1 deg it will have -2 degree when u turn and the more angle there is on the camber links the more change there will be

say u set it to -1 deg and during a turn the suspension will compress and it will be 0 degree ...

thats what i found out but u guys said the opposite .... and IF the camber links is stright parallel to the lower a-arms there will not be any changes in camber settings if the suspension is compressed

um ... try checking this out with ur car plz ...and plz do explain all that u know ... PLZ do share ur knowledge on this issue..

TY

Try here: http://gallery.uunet.be/heremanss/

And see the suspension area.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:38 PM   #194
Tech Master

ohh i think i have read the setup thing quite some time back ....
yep it said ONLY negative camber is used so the CAMBER GAIN means negative camber not positive

it made me go wild a while back before i realized it ... cause if i gatin positive camber when the shocks is comprssed the tire will wear on the outer side ( camber links angled downwords outside )

and while conering squat down and look at the outer tire of ur turn ... is it at the 90 degree angle ?
i achived the 90 degree angle in turns when i get negative camber gain which means increased - camber when the shock is compressed and the tire wear is EVEN....

and a 90 degree tire in turns I THINK it means maximum contact patch and that also means maximum GRIP

hehe take what i say witha pinch of salt... i am also trying to figure things out

this is just my opinion based on what i did/tried on my car

BTW if u take a setup board and place ur car on it then use the camber addjustment tool to see how much camber u have
then COMPRESS the shocks fully till ur chasis bottom out
does the camber angle add more negative or positive or does it remain the same

mine add slightly more negative
Old 12-29-2001, 05:47 PM   #195
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by imataquito
CONFUSED.........

TY

in relation to the lower A arms THAT wheel will gain neg camber during turns say if u set it to -1 deg it will have -2 degree when u turn and the more angle there is on the camber links the more change there will be --------- if u look at the tire when u take a turn it will be 90 degrees = 0 +/- camber (this is in relation to the ground when the car is moving)

say u set it to -1 deg and during a turn the suspension will compress and it will be 0 degree ..--- but if u have this setup when the car is moving into a turn ... u will get positive camber!!
it will be more than 90 degrees if u see it in relation to the ground
assuming u take that above 90 deg is + and below 90 deg is -

hope u get what i m saying ......