R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Toe out help!

Hi guys,

Ive been having a hard time setting the front toe out on both of my cars . im using a full set of hudy guages and have never had a problem with setting the angle to 0, but now i want to set it to 0.5 toe out its becoming a night mare.

The way i set it normally is to put the car on the guages turn on the transmitter wiggle the steering to settle it in neutral then set the toe out on both wheels to 0.5, but then if i wiggle the steering again it changes to 1 degree on one wheel and 0 on the other!

any help would be great
Xrayraycer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Toe

Maybe the ball studs bent or loose or ball cups is worn ?
Wheel bearings has too much play ?
Wheel bearings have too much play in the steering block?
C hubs ,pins ?
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

unfortunatly not, out of the 2 cars one hasnt seen the track yet! and yet they both have the same problem so im guessing theres a technique to setting toe out that i dont know about. cheers
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

You will never get the steering to center back to the same point each and every time you move the steering on the controller. Without the Hudy gauges on the car, you would have never known this. As long as it reads .5-degrees out on both sides when setting it, or 0-degree and 1-degree, it makes no difference, you still have .5-degree out.

The tolerances in every single part, including the servo, EVEN BRAND NEW, all introduce a little slop. If you have have .5-degree of slop, you are in excellent shape.

Even if you get your car perfect on the board, once your car is on the track, you can still expect to have to adjust the steering trim to get the car to drive straight. By the end of a race, your Left and Right Front tires will likely be different diameters, which will introduce pull to the left or right again anyway, so just make sure you Toe is how you want closest to center on the servo and transmitter, and then adjust the rest with steering trim.

Now STOP over analyzing it, and go have fun Racing....
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

i guess i am thinking about it a bit too much!

Thanks for your help
Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I found that the setup gauges don't like to turn and bind on the setup board. Pit a piece of paper between the gauge and the board and they will move easier.
Bob Williams
Robertw321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Tech Adept

check your servo saver, the pastic spring saver is the one that never centered right

or use the direct horn.
TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote