R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-25-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Default HPI PRO 3 - Chassis Project plz HELP!

As part of my GCSE - Design and Technology project im going to design and build a HPI Pro 3 chassis. But firstly I have to research and develop some ideas and investigate what drivers of the Pro 3 want to see.

So i thought that the best place to gain information is here! I feel so out of touch considering your all talking about the new Yokomo and the HPI Pro 4! but please take time out to add your suggestions....

should i be looking for stiffness or less weight?

top deck or no top deck?!

any other suggestions are welcome...and i may use this thread in my coursework to show how i researched.

thanks for your time

Paul Sleight
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Well I think it's pretty common knowledge what people wanted from the Pro 3 chassis, otherwise there wouldn't be half a dozen different options already out there - but I wouldn't tell you teacher that necessarily!

I would look at the problem from a more basic perspective i.e. the Pro 3's standard chassis is too flexible for most racers, how should I make it stronger? Then investigate the various possibilities, and the problems they pose. So you take on and solve a known design problem

Consider including a few other fixes, perhaps making the chassis 1mm shorter to allow a looser front belt setting, or modifying the battery positions so you can adjust weight distribution.

Or just design it so it looks better than the standard plastic.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:02 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

i used to run a pro 3, here are my comments

save a bit of weight if you can, but mainly go for stiffness. there's no point making a chassis 60g lighter then having to add 60g weight to make it legal (except weight distribution, but you won't need 60g lead to fix weight distribution problems). so yeah go mainly for stiffness, save a bit of weight if you can, move the electrics forward or make the positioning of them adjustable, maybe some other design changes like that.

and yes, we all need a topdeck, can't live without one, but make sure we can get out packs in & out easily, like PRP did.
Trippin Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:26 AM   #4
Tech Addict

do you know where i can get a pic of the prp top deck as i havent seen it?
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #5
Tech Addict

here is a link to the PRP upper deck.

Team PRP
racer is offline   Reply With Quote