New Secret Xray Project

Old 07-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

dun't think it's 2wd
Old 07-26-2003, 06:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rick Draper
You obviously have no idea how a shaft drive car works. Even if the shaft is off center it wouls have no bearing on what direction the wheels turn in, that is all dependent on what side of the diffs the gears are on. Rick
After running shaft drive cars for 4 years, since when the first TC3's were released, I do have an idea how they work, so dont challenge what I know and dont know. However I was wrong on this one, I was thinking about the conventional shaft drive differential that has the gear thrown off to one side. You could put one of the gears in the center of the outdrives rather than it bieng offset to one side, and get it on the opposite side of the shaft from the other. That would cause a big weight offset though, which is what you would want to stay away from when going to a shaft drive car with batteries mounted in the center of the chassis to try and achieve "perfect" weight distribution.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

well, xray is sure getting plenty of... how do you say... not your feet, but your... from you fellas. when they wrote that bit about it being different from previous efforts, maybe they mean that this car is being designed from the ground up, ... not a revision of someone else's car. just a thought.

ok, ok the horse is dead.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Randman
After running shaft drive cars for 4 years, since when the first TC3's were released, I do have an idea how they work, so dont challenge what I know and dont know. However I was wrong on this one, I was thinking about the conventional shaft drive differential that has the gear thrown off to one side. You could put one of the gears in the center of the outdrives rather than it bieng offset to one side, and get it on the opposite side of the shaft from the other. That would cause a big weight offset though, which is what you would want to stay away from when going to a shaft drive car with batteries mounted in the center of the chassis to try and achieve "perfect" weight distribution.
So i was correct in this instance to challenge what you wrote! O and i have to say i have been running shaft drives since TTech came out with the first Predator buggy so have a fair bit of insight into how a shaft drive works. Rick
Old 07-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Rick Draper
So i was correct in this instance to challenge what you wrote! O and i have to say i have been running shaft drives since TTech came out with the first Predator buggy so have a fair bit of insight into how a shaft drive works. Rick
Or TAMIYA Egress/Avante?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick vs Randman...Hehehe you guys are funny. Remember the AKY Viper? haha okay Arguing on the internet is like getting a gold medal in the special olympics...even though you win, your still read Todd did
Old 07-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

If the shaft was offset from the center like the TL01(which can be competative if you put some effort and cash into it) then it would account for the tiny universal drive shafts and the large diff.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Secret Xray thingy on Web

I actually think that it is a micro car of some type. Maybe 1/18th or 1/12th. Sorta something like the touring car that yokomo has. I would bet it's something like that.......let me know what you guys think.....I maybe wrong.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey guys
u have to keep in mind, that on the sneek previews it says , like, something totally different from touring cars.
therefore, all arguments about shaft drive or nething related to touring cars, should be eliminated!!!!!
the other thing was, that the team driver said, only one of u got it right either on or before the second page!!!!, so u should read that, and then argue about those coments
and the only thing i picked out from those that was orginaly, was a 4wd formula one !!!
also to keep in mind, that the statement in the preview says something like, that it will be a first time ever or something
( sorry for not using quotes)
so therefore, some seemingly stupid guesses, may actually be correct, as we do not know how, or why they wil do certainthings different from other brands who have made this type of car, if any

just thought i'd put in my 2cents worth
anywayz, i cant wait to find out, just like the rest of u , i love xray, and am a proud owner of an evo2 foc
cya's
robbie
Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yup, it's an amphibious nitro v-hull

rut rut ....brah! GIFF!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

This may sound rediculous but how about two motors, one front and one back? This would eliminate any belt or shaft assembly.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-30-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Hum,

Here goes my guess

1/12 TC
Belt Drive
4 cells

I guess that's all I can speculate
Old 07-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the car did have two motors I think you could end up with a very wierdly handling car. Because if one motor (say a P2k) in the back has more rpm than the P2k in the front, I don't think the car would handle too well. But than again I could be wrong on this one. But I don't think two motors would be worth the extra weight, and fuss, and cost.

Here's my new guess: it's going to be a:
4wd
1/12 scale
formula one car
with titanium wings. Now how cool would that be ! Or should I say "how cool WILL that be " .
Old 07-30-2003, 05:09 PM
V60
Tech Rookie

Default 4WD, Micro Sized

Take a look at the pictures. The wheels have 3 splines very similar to HPI Micro wheels (Maybe even compatible).

The outer wheel has no nut or screw further pointing towards slide on wheels like the HPI.

The body are posts even are shaped similar to an HPI micro, and slide up and down similarly as well.

It is likely 4WD as you can see a steering link and a universal sharing the same corner of the car.

Also, the pan/ button head hex screws likely have a 1.5mm or 2mm hex socket as anything larger than a M1.6, M2, or M3 screw will likely have a cap head with a 2.5mm socket or larger. For me this points to 1/18th size as well.

I would guess it is a 4WD Micro car with a plastic chassis like the Raycer with belt drive since Xray seems to have the same belts/ access to belts that Serpent has. I also would guess it will be priced less than an HPI Micro and be compatible with HPI wheels, tires, inserts, and bodies.

My question is --> which motor size will it use? Big Block? (300) or 280 size?
Attached Thumbnails New Secret Xray Project-itsamicro.jpg  
Old 07-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Yahtzee!

That guy did a very good job of coming up with the answer. I believe him to the fullest!. Even included pictures with his answer! Good Job MAYNE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.