Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twk-b
NW of 50+ is crazy, should be less then 15 max, i run mine at 5 no problems. running higher values is going to make the throttle an on/off switch, instead of giving you something linear.
Depends on your radio system. As explained a dozen or more times throughout this thread by Randy and crew, running your NW too low, on some systems (like my 3pk) can cause some issues. Running it higher will NOT give you a non linear throttle response.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

running it higher will shorten the throw of the trigger which in turn does take away from "linear"
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

i ran my NW at 15 and had issues with it feeling like it had drag brake even with it set to zero and my brakes didnt feel right when applied, after jumping it up to 30 all is better and throttle is as smooth as can be.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JCarr
My temps were 140F and then when I upped the timing and shortened the rpm range it came down to 135F. I wanted to be on the conservative side of things so I didn't hurt the brand new motor. At these settings the top end is great, actually it's pulling long past where I need to let off to make the turn at the end of the straight. So I could do with a little less top end, but there is just this lag at the bottom that is killing me off any corner where I have to lift completely. It's like the car idles to a point and then takes off. It's not a violent take off or anything, but the just pulls real hard all of the sudden. Like it should right after I hit the throttle from the corner.
OK, coming at this from a different angle. A couple of weeks back I returned to my local track changed the FDR accordingly and went racing. I experienced a momentary delay on applying the throttle, then the boost came in hard. The car was fine everywhere apart from exiting slow corners. On the start line everyone was leaving me standing. Too much timing came the cry. No its not I have used this setup a million times here. I swapped out the engine to another make and put in the settings I had recorded for that engine - same problem. Hmn; I resynched the transmitter; same problem. Frustrated to the max, the following night I sat at the bench and tried to work out what an earth was going on.

In the end I reflashed the ESC with factory default settings and then applied my settings. Problem solved!!!

I can only assume that a variable in the firmware had got corrupted somehow and loading the factory settings cleared it. Of course the guys at Tekin will know whether I am talking garbage but I and others checked the settings in the Hotwire interface a hundred times ie it wasn't me.

Maybe worth a try.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've set my NW all over the place between 56 and 5 and didn't really notice a difference(DX3R). Having said that, I did have a problem two summers ago when I had teh NW down low, 9 I think it was, and every time I hit the brakes the car would shut down for a couple seconds and then restart. I would have steering, just no throttle control. I went back to a higher NW and the problem went away. Never did figure that out, but I have just kept the NW at the factory setting from that point on.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not a bad idea yellowshark, definitly worth giving a try anyway. i wonder though if it is some sort of corupt file why it only effected me and not the other two guys I set up that day? I watched them both and they had mad rip out of the corners. Granted they are driving different cars than me and with different gearing, but I would think as bad as the problem is for me I would see it in their cars also.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin RS for Can Motor

thinking about running T/A Class and i dont have a brushed esc. and i have no idea how to hook up my Tekin RS to a Can motor? any1 help me
Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alrones
thinking about running T/A Class and i dont have a brushed esc. and i have no idea how to hook up my Tekin RS to a Can motor? any1 help me
http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/RSManual.pdf
Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
Man I am not with it this morning. 17.5.

BUKIL: I have been running that nw forever, I have set it down before and never noticed a difference. I remember reading a while back that Randy recommended it be set a bit higher to avoid some problems and that was the factory setting so I just left it there. I haven't tried dropping it with the new motor though and could always give it shot though. Thanks.
Weird

I was using a DX3r before. NW was set to 15 before, and I was experiencing your issues. What fixed it was the NW. I had it on 15, and set it between 2-5. It fixed the lag/sluggishness.

I'm using KO Eurus now.

I would try Krio's suggestion. Add more motor timing.

FWIW, our 17.5 FDR here at our track is around ~5.6 - 6.2 . Of course gear accordingly to your track.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

NW of 50+ is crazy, should be less then 15 max, i run mine at 5 no problems. running higher values is going to make the throttle an on/off switch, instead of giving you something linear.
I have noticed this on my end too.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The boost/turbo is exponential, so 10 boost does very little, 20 boost does more then twice as much kind of thing....
-b
Hi twk-b,

(1) Mr Tekin states the following:
-- 1000rpm start / 6000 end (5K) with 50 timing boost will provide 10 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm vs.
-- 1000rpm start / 11000 end (10K) with 50 timing boost will provide 5 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm.

(2) Can you please expand on your statement:
---- "The boost/turbo is exponential...".

(3) Mr Tekin is stating a linear relationship, so when you say "exponential" are you talking more about a brushless motor's Torque vs RPM curve, or what?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cosmo1974
Hi twk-b,

-- 1000rpm start / 6000 end (5K) with 50 timing boost will provide 10 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm vs.
-- 1000rpm start / 11000 end (10K) with 50 timing boost will provide 5 degrees of boost per 1000 rpm.

(3) Mr Tekin is stating a linear relationship, so when you say "exponential" are you talking more about a brushless motor's Torque vs RPM curve, or what?

Thanks in advance
Exponential is a non linear response. A higher value usually means response around zero is faster and a lower value means response is slower around neutral. Doesn't affect maximum travel, only reaction speed at the bottom and top end of travel.

It is not exactly an exponential function.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
Exponential is a non linear response. A higher value usually means response around zero is faster and a lower value means response is slower around neutral. Doesn't affect maximum travel, only reaction speed at the bottom and top end of travel.

It is not exactly an exponential function.
I know the definition of exponential - I'm an engineer.
And the rest of your response seems to be talking about something completely unrelated to the turbo/boost question I raised.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cosmo1974
Hi twk-b,

Thanks in advance
What he meant by exponential was not in how timing is added, but rather the effect of the added timing. Adding 10 degrees of timing doesn't change very much, 20 degrees has more than double the affect of 10, 30 degrees is more noticeable than 3 times 10 degrees, etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krio
What he meant by exponential was not in how timing is added, but rather the effect of the added timing. Adding 10 degrees of timing doesn't change very much, 20 degrees has more than double the affect of 10, 30 degrees is more noticeable than 3 times 10 degrees, etc.
I completely understand what twk-b is saying.
I'm not doubting the non-linear relationship that twk-b stated.
What I don't understand is why?

As I asked, is it something to do with the Torque vs RPM curve of BL motors?
But I'm not convinced on that, based on the resultant curve (the black curve) from a few posts back, looked roughly linear (not exponential) - assuming the x & y axis is linear.

Mr Tekin applies a linear algorithm - so its not the source of non-linearity.

Has it something to do with the fact that the optimal timing boost map for a given motor is not currently applied, so we get something less than optimal which just happens to have an exponential look about it?

If none of the above, where does the non-linear relationship kick in?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-torque-vs-rpm.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.