Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmackani
Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I see alot of people having this problem with the Novaks. I had the same squealing even with only 30 degrees of timing added. I first tried reducing the timing on the motor and it made it worse to the point under no-load conditions it would squeal on the car stand. Since that made it worse, I advanced the timing on the motor and the problem went away. I believe there is something that is not right with the novak ballistics. I noticed there appears to be very little help out there for the novaks and I do not think it is in Tekin's best interest to comment on one of their competitors motors in my opinion.
Intresting thoughts.

I don't like the thought of using excessive timing from the get go.

It could be considered bad for motors back in the brushed days (when we went away from 44degree stock motors to lesser degree stock motors, they became more durable imo), it can be just as bad (but more expensive!!!) for brushless motors too, logic tells me that we can always have too much of a good thing...

I would not say it is in Tekins best interest to comment on outside brands, but merely inhouse testing and indeed a lot of race track action (sponsored and privately used Tekin Equipment) is seen with to be with the Tekin motor/RS combi.

Sometimes you get a mix and match combi of Tekin ESC and non Tekin motor and it works great for one, but real bad for another... A bit hit and miss.

This isn't my own plug to say "use Tekin ESC and motor only" but it sure does cut out any possible compatability issue in my eyes.

These are my own thoughts as a Tekin Team guy for 3.5 years until recently, but I am more than happy for anyone to correct me on anything they see fit to, it is of no joy for me to give the wrong impression about a company I have been happy to be part of...

Tim - hope the capacitor resolves your issue, doesn't sound like you are alone in using the RS at West Kent, so you've got a chance to share info now on setups....
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPMSRacing
I just ordered a 13.5 Redline motor, I will get in the car and see how it acts I guess. Everyone told the ballistic motors would work with the RS Pro, but I cant get it to work. Tried of getting mad at a toy car.
did you try dual mode at all or have you pulled the sensor wire off and try running
Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The novak kinetic is way too late to the show!!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

one of my race buddys this weekend worked on my esc and changed the rpm,s around and its insane now on the track

good job tekin
Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Intresting thoughts.

I don't like the thought of using excessive timing from the get go.

It could be considered bad for motors back in the brushed days (when we went away from 44degree stock motors to lesser degree stock motors, they became more durable imo), it can be just as bad (but more expensive!!!) for brushless motors too, logic tells me that we can always have too much of a good thing...

I would not say it is in Tekins best interest to comment on outside brands, but merely inhouse testing and indeed a lot of race track action (sponsored and privately used Tekin Equipment) is seen with to be with the Tekin motor/RS combi.

Sometimes you get a mix and match combi of Tekin ESC and non Tekin motor and it works great for one, but real bad for another... A bit hit and miss.

This isn't my own plug to say "use Tekin ESC and motor only" but it sure does cut out any possible compatability issue in my eyes.

These are my own thoughts as a Tekin Team guy for 3.5 years until recently, but I am more than happy for anyone to correct me on anything they see fit to, it is of no joy for me to give the wrong impression about a company I have been happy to be part of...

Tim - hope the capacitor resolves your issue, doesn't sound like you are alone in using the RS at West Kent, so you've got a chance to share info now on setups....
I actually started out at 30 degrees timing on the esc with the understanding that the Novak mechanical timing was set at 30 from the factory. It still cogged no matter how far apart I spread the timing across the rpm range. I tried to follow logic also by reducing the mechanical timing and this was the main indicator that it made it worse. FYI, I have a redline motor on the way.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Location: Lost in the Dead Space between my Ears Somewhere around Wamego, KS (OZ Land)
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
did you try dual mode at all or have you pulled the sensor wire off and try running
No I didnt try dual mode because the whole idea of the Tekin was for the sensored settings, and I didnt try no sensor wire because my Novak will not do anything without the sensor wire hooked up, so I figured the Tekin would be the the same.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I might have found the problem of my clogging....i have a digital servo installed in my car as soon as i apply small amount of throttle i get this squealing sound..i just benched test my car with a different servo an the squeal is gone...ill install the servo an test it later an post my finding!!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JPMSRacing
No I didnt try dual mode because the whole idea of the Tekin was for the sensored settings, and I didnt try no sensor wire because my Novak will not do anything without the sensor wire hooked up, so I figured the Tekin would be the the same.
Actually, if the RS doesn't see any sensors it automatically jumps to sensorless mode so you can keep running in case the plug gets pulled mid race somehow. With high turn motors it will cog a little down low, but not as bad as you have seen with this weird novak incompatibility.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I need a little help on where to start with my gearing.
Xray T3, I have been using 3.45FDR with SXX speedi.
I have now a RS and have heard that I should be around the 6.5FDR. Thats a huge jump.
The motor im using is a 17.5 Tekin running on asphalt large track.

http://www.onroadrccarclubbunbury.org.au/Site/index.htm

The straight is 55m long with flowing and a couple hair pins
Basicly where should I start with this gearing. All the set up posted a mainly carpet or small circuits

Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by advfuel
I need a little help on where to start with my gearing.
Xray T3, I have been using 3.45FDR with SXX speedi.
I have now a RS and have heard that I should be around the 6.5FDR. Thats a huge jump.
The motor im using is a 17.5 Tekin running on asphalt large track.

http://www.onroadrccarclubbunbury.org.au/Site/index.htm

The straight is 55m long with flowing and a couple hair pins
Basicly where should I start with this gearing. All the set up posted a mainly carpet or small circuits

6,5FDR for a 17,5 is think to light.
I run 7,8 indoor with a 10,5T
start with 4,5 to 5FDR.

Setups for a 17,5 is not my thing. I never drove with a 17,5T. I drive 13,5 and lower turns but you can try to start with this.
Boost 45
Turbo 10
Turbo delay 0.9
Turbo ramp 2
Throttle 5
Start RPM 3500
End RPM 10000
Gearing 5 FDR
Motor timing 10

Temp the motor in time.
You can higher everything a bit but start with a lower timing and watch if the Turbo kicks in ad the right time.
If it kicks in to late lower the Turbo delay a bit but I think it will not be much lower.
Watch if you have enough speed. As the infield is good but top speed to shored ad some Turbo.
But first get the right infield speed. You can higher the Boost for a bit more power.
Play also with the gearing.
See what the acceleration does when you go to 4,5FDR.
Maybe you must gear lighter. Sorry I don't now how a 17,5 goes.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
start with 4,5 to 5FDR.

Setups for a 17,5 is not my thing. I never drove with a 17,5T. I drive 13,5 and lower turns but you can try to start with this.
Boost 45
Turbo 10
Turbo delay 0.9
Turbo ramp 2
Throttle 5
Start RPM 3500
End RPM 10000
Gearing 5 FDR
Motor timing 10

Temp the motor in time.
You can higher everything a bit but start with a lower timing and watch if the Turbo kicks in ad the right time.
If it kicks in to late lower the Turbo delay a bit but I think it will not be much lower.
Watch if you have enough speed. As the infield is good but top speed to shored ad some Turbo.
But first get the right infield speed. You can higher the Boost for a bit more power.
your close,i would start with a 5.5fdr and move the end rpm to 12000 that start is ok
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
start with 4,5 to 5FDR.

Boost 45
Turbo 10
Turbo delay 0.9
Turbo ramp 2
Throttle 5
Start RPM 3500
End RPM 10000
Gearing 5 FDR
Motor timing 10

Temp the motor in time.
Thanks Mikky

Ha, Ive just noticed your website, thats awsome mate
Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
your close,i would start with a 5.5fdr and move the end rpm to 12000 that start is ok
Ok I will give the setup to a club member of me. he has a 17,5T Tekin for this year. Can I try some setups with him.

Originally Posted by advfuel
Thanks Mikky

Ha, Ive just noticed your website, thats awsome mate
Thanks.
As you found a good 17,5T setup please send it to me. I will post it.
I don't have much info about it.
I'm still working on the site but because of my study and I am building a website for a RC club in Belgium were I'm also a member.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

What I have found on our small carpet track was that with a 17.5 (SP V3) low FDRs overheat the motor. This was tested with motor timing set to 0 (which isn't saying much, because as we have seen BL motor timing is not consistently defined across motor brands) no turbo, boost at 45, wide boost window starting at low RPMs (2000ish-17000ish), linear throttle profile (3/4) and no drag brake.

Low FDR seemed to work better with v200 as far as overheating problems are concerned. Motor was Tekin 17.5, timing as per factory setting (not sure what that is), turbo at .7 delay, boost all the way up, profile 3, no drag brake (I am not a fan of drag brake because we have a tight technical section where I would rather let the car flow freely than brake).

There is still some testing to happen as soon as the track opens again but this is an interesting difference between the two software versions.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

The Speedpassion runs best with 10 timing.
Gear lighter and set a higher start RPM.

The Tekin has standard timing of 12.
I love the Tekin motors. I don't no why but they drive very smooth.
I have a good feeling with the motor so I will also get a 13,5T.
The 10,5T is fantastic. I don't now how it is compared to the Nemesis and the DUO 2 but I think that it isn't a big difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.