Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
interestin stuff

R
i find ur signature more interesting...is that so?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer

Well yes, the data logger can tell you what RPM the motors is turning at various points on the track but how does that help you with the first part? Do you know what the right amount of timing is for every rpm level? What is really needed to fully optimize a ramped timing system is not so much a data logger, but a dyno. Specifically, one that dynos the motor/speedo combo.
If you look back a couple of hundred pages or so, that's exactly what I asked the Tekin Team if they could provide in the first place. They answered there were too many variables to do it (which is true, but still a simple dyno sheet with efficiency/power/torque vs timing/rpm is not that difficult to record).

Needless to remind everyone they didn't even want to give us a kV rating for their motors when everybody else gives one. Their answer was that every motor is different (as if there was too much difference and they could not say if it was 2000 or 1000). That was really weak.

As for the data logger I agree, but don't see a better idea right now.

And please everybody who can not have a decent dialogue, go somewhere else, don't waste your breath here giving advice not requested. I am interested only in intelligent responses.

Still waiting for the Tekin team responses too.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

whats a good fdr for the tc5 running the newest update and running 17.5?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeckLancer
whats a good fdr for the tc5 running the newest update and running 17.5?
depends on the track but the have been in the 5.5 to 6.0 range
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
i find ur signature more interesting...is that so?
That signature is spot on.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Schreffler, thanks for all the info. I can't wait to test my car out tomorrow night. There's going to be ~6 of us at our track working on our Tekin's so I think we'll be able to come up with some good setups that work at our track.

By the way, your TOP was dialed and you drove awesome at the Snowbirds. I am glad I went up there to watch. Congrats on your win!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Tommy, yes it's true. We all need to save 301. Check out the 301 thread in the racing forum.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Jason Schrefflers Tq and Winning 13.5 Rubber TC Setup from Snowbirds:

Pay attention to his START rpm...this is how he can get away from a 0 delay on his turbo.
How would one adjust that for 17.5? Maybe drop the end RPM a bit?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here you go. There is some variance but not much. Our motors are very consistent. The issues stems from the "ideal" setup taking time to find. There is no 100% perfect answer.

Posts like "What setup do I run on a 17.5" without having specifics like track size, car type, driving style, preffered feel, motor used, etc etc etc will be different. What works for one guy will work for another but may not be ideal.

In general you can work the math backwards or forwards. If you were to take a 1s setup that has a start of say 1,000 and an end of 7,000 and was "THE" setup on this track, double it for 2s setup. This will get you close because the KV of course is double now. There are some changes due to the fact that 2s generally is a "gear box" car that has some form of reduction on gearing. If you look at Barry Bakers setup he's right there with 2,500 start and 13,000 end rpm.

The info is out there. Our team is there to help. I can be reached in more ways than one. We realize that the Tekin RS may not be the easiest speedo to use sometimes. BUT what we can say is that it IS the most versatile and WE/YOU can setup it up to fit your personal driving style and setup.

Redline motor info:
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-redline-motor-specs.jpeg  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Here you go. There is some variance but not much. Our motors are very consistent. The issues stems from the "ideal" setup taking time to find. There is no 100% perfect answer.

Posts like "What setup do I run on a 17.5" without having specifics like track size, car type, driving style, preffered feel, motor used, etc etc etc will be different. What works for one guy will work for another but may not be ideal.
That should be perfectly clear by now for most people.

In general you can work the math backwards or forwards.

[...]
That's what I am trying to do (forwards is my choice).

The info is out there. Our team is there to help. I can be reached in more ways than one. We realize that the Tekin RS may not be the easiest speedo to use sometimes. BUT what we can say is that it IS the most versatile and WE/YOU can setup it up to fit your personal driving style and setup.

Redline motor info:
Thank you very much Randy. Don't think for a second your efforts go by unappreciated. Actually your answer just made me decide to buy another complete system for my second car so your efforts and time were not in vain.

I hesitate to contact you (or your team) directly because I think you're quite busy and assume you have about a million emails a day to answer. And I don't really want to waste your time repeating questions you may have answered already (here or elsewhere). I did however search extensively for this info on the web before asking here but could not find it anywhere, that's why I came back here repeatedly hoping someone else knew this and would share.

The difficulty in setting up the Tekin is part of my attraction to it. There is a lot to explore and this means I have the chance to play with the system as if it's a brand new toy every time I need to change something. Pressing buttons would get old really fast (for me at least).
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i am the one that has posted on this thread about using the data logger. this is not a tekin recommendation or requirement. this is a "Yang" recommendation. I also explained how I get my start and end rpms with the data logger. I also explain how I come up with the turbo delay using the information. and then the last piece is how to evaluate the gearing of your car.

What i may have passed over is the fact that I am treating the tekin speed controler as a "FULL RACE" speed controller. if you have never done any form of full scale racing, then let me explain. Most of the time motor tuning has some scientific background, but a lot of it is really gut feel and past history. if you were to take your dyno sheet to 10 different tuners, you would get 10 different ways to program your ecu. all have their value and all have their merit. but there is no "right" way to setup your ecu. the tekin rs and rspro are the same. Run thousand and thousands of laps with the same motor and you will get a feel for that motor and how it produces power. use the logger to see what the motor does on the track and then tune the motor to you. if you do not have the time or the history to do that then you will never have the "perfect" setup for you on your track.

I think that maybe as a team member, I may owe tekin and you guys a good generic setup. what you might call a canned tune. but I really think that the ones I have posted on the tekin site are good "generic" setup. but understand these will never be the fastest setups for you and your car on your track layout that day, but they will be a "good" setup.

I certainly hope that there is not anyone that has the expectation that anyone on this forum could possibily give you a setup that is "perfect".

something that might help is when asking for advise, post your current setup and then what you felt about the setup on the track. was it slow out of the corners? was it slow down the straight? did it fade? did it run the motor hot? did you loose ground in the infield? did you loose ground on the straight? this actually helps me a lot more the posting the size of the track. and for those that have a data logger, you can post one good consistent lap without timing and turbo and try and point out the straights and the infield.

to be honest all this info is what I use to figure out the setup I will be running on any track that I put my car down on. it may sound like a lot of data, but hey I am asian and we work with numbers. it is in our blood. other driver maybe able to look at track size and give you recommendations. I unfortunately don't work that way.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

How difficult is it to get the data logger setup and run it on the 'puter? Please note, I am a Mac user so I will have to borrow someone else's 'puter. That's not a problem, but I just don't have all the time in the world and most likely won't be able to change important settings and the like on a machine that isn't mine.

Computer/software knowledge is not on my side either.

Just trying to gauge how useful a potential 150$ expense would be.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
I unfortunately don't work that way.
What he said...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Please don't hesitate to ask. We have a general rule here at Tekin. If we get the same exact quesiton more than 3 times we figure we're not putting out enough information to support the product. This is why we created how to videos, create support forums,etc.

However with software that support often changes "tune" and sometimes the rules change.

Being a converted auto technician myself I have many view points on setups and tunes. Like Yang mentioned, you will often get a few different answers/suggestions on where/what to change. This is why I often ask more questions at first than give answers: What do you want from the car? How do you want to change the feel? Where is the car lacking?

I can then take those as inputs(ala data logger) and make some deductions and offer suggestions. The best dyno for racing is YOU the driver. This along with some other inputs like laptimes, motor temps, battery usage,etc will help me help you get the best setup possible. This is one of the biggest reasons why when someone from Tekin is there to support a large event, more often then not we don't run. We feel this takes away from our ability to support everyone in the best manner. Don't get me wrong we all love to race, but we put our customers and our team first.

So please ask questions, that's why we're here, it's what we do.

[email protected]
Yahoo IM: TekinTeamMgr
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
I can't train for Sunday

yes you can

come up to Tynaarlo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.