Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyanyde
With so many brushless motors out there and almost zero info on their endbell timing, can someone tell me how to measure the endbell timing from the sensor position? After looking at the sensors of 2 different motors of the same winds I have, One seems to be so much different than the other. Like 15 degrees off or so. Its so weird...
I was told by LRP that the following picture shows 30deg actual timing, which most manufactures consider to be 0deg with regard to delta wound motors, I have Speed Passion (pictured), Nosram and Hacker. They are all the same;

Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

V 200 test with 4.5 ...
Ok, just back from the track (same short track as my previous report), same gear used, same Tekin 4.5 motor, timing as per default.
Car: Losi Jrx-Type R, Tekin RS (V200)
Motor: Tekin 4.5, 94/18 (can't go any lower than that...) using the tire diameter to change the overall gear.
Tires: Matrix foam tyres (we use them also outdoor)
Battery: LRP lipo 5300 25C.
Fan on the motor, fan on the esc and an extra capacitor 16V 2200

First run, tyres at 60/59ish, turbo timing 8, turbo boost 19, delay 0.7sec.

Motor temp:65° C
Esc temp:50°C
temp bar: 3 led

The first run didn't impress me that much, doesnt "see" any shifting, but... the car was more pleasant than usual to drive.

Second run: new tyres (63mm) turbo timing 6, turbo boost 19, delay 0.7sec.
Motor temp:73° C
Esc temp:60°C
tiem on the track: 7 minutes... still full...
temp bar: 7 led, then drop down to 5 and 3, in about 30 seconds...

Bigger tyres means longer gearing, this time the difference is more "clear", shame the short straightline, a longer one will show a better effect..
Might be an impression, but the "softy" behaviour in the second half seems less present

The only thing, the delay should be carefully set... you might get some kick, when you have to brake...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Questions?? Neutral Width

Neutral Width - Can someone please explain why it is at 56 from Tekin by default, and why you would adjust it higher or lower...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Neutral Width - Can someone please explain why it is at 56 from Tekin by default, and why you would adjust it higher or lower...
I never understood this feature having such a high setting as well.

Randy?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

a lower number will give a more sensitive feel,less travel of the trigger
higher number has more travel before power is delivered
Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
a lower number will give a more sensitive feal,less travel of the triger
higher number has more travel before power is delivered
I think we know that...

The question is why is it set so high, let alone have such a very high setting capability in the first place.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

probable for the different types of radios used today,if one setting is used it may or may not have the same feel on a different brand,just giving you a wider band to adjust to
Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's that high by default to allow cheaper radios to find nuetral. Some RTR radios dont' have have a solid nuetral set point. If we make it lower it might not calibrate.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Randy do you know when the v200 will be up on the tekin site?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I was told by LRP that the following picture shows 30deg actual timing, which most manufactures consider to be 0deg with regard to delta wound motors, I have Speed Passion (pictured), Nosram and Hacker. They are all the same;
Yep.. as previously discussed in this thread, for the sake of keeping things simple, we are ignoring the "built in" timing, in the internals of the motor when discussing adding 30 degress of total timing betwen endbell and ESC.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I went and practiced with 200 last night in my 17.5 car and had some questions.

My home tack is rather small 40x60 and there's just not enough time for Turbo to really kick in.

I race at a second track that is 60x70 and will have a chance the see the response from turbo tomorrow.

1. I noticed that when turbo is applied it ramps rather slowly, how much testing was done to determine how fast this ramp should be? Where different ramp times tested for optimal performance?

2. When I set the delay to .5, which I'm assuming is half a second, it sure seems like it takes longer than .5 sec to start applying turbo. Is this because of my first question? The ramp is starting slowly so it appears to take longer than expected.

3. Was there much testing done on small carpet tracks? It seems like the delay feature should be allowed to start at zero being the turbo function is being ramped up so slowly. Or the turbo on ramp should also have a time setting.

I realize this feature was mainly added for large to very large tracks to compete against other ESC's but I think turbo could be applied effectively for short tracks also which would give the RS an advantage over the non-programmable ESC’s.

I by no means am complaining about this release I just had a few questions and maybe these questions can be applied in a future release.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
With so many brushless motors out there and almost zero info on their endbell timing, can someone tell me how to measure the endbell timing from the sensor position? After looking at the sensors of 2 different motors of the same winds I have, One seems to be so much different than the other. Like 15 degrees off or so. Its so weird...
With each motor being different in endbell construction your best bet is to look in the end like the picture posted by Skiddins. When we are referring to zero timing (at least I do...lol) we mean when the Hall Sensors are right in the middle of each lamination holding the windings. I would agree that the picture shows about 30 degrees of timing. When you are trying to set the timing from scratch here's your best bet :
Center the Hall sensors on the laminations.
Paint/Grind marks on the endbell and can that line up so you always know where zero is.
If you want more timing than zero, every millimeter around the outside of the can is pretty close to 3 degrees (36mm diameter X 3.14159 = 113mm circumference. 360 degrees divided by 113mm = 3.18 degrees per mm)
Rotating the endbell counter clockwise will advance the timing.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Randy, I want sensored mode and Turbo Boost in my RX8
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello all,

I am ordering the Hotwire now and want to buy a range of gearing options for the car as gearing for V200 may take some trial and error. Also at the track that I race at in Camarillo, Ca. we change the track layout every race weekend and gearing may be an issue. What range of FDR do you think I should be looking at with a 17.5 motor. Track is medium size I guess with a pretty good straight. Thanks for any info.

Rob,
Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FzCruzer
Hello all,

I am ordering the Hotwire now and want to buy a range of gearing options for the car as gearing for V200 may take some trial and error. Also at the track that I race at in Camarillo, Ca. we change the track layout every race weekend and gearing may be an issue. What range of FDR do you think I should be looking at with a 17.5 motor. Track is medium size I guess with a pretty good straight. Thanks for any info.

Rob,
Pete should know this one...Calling reenmachine, calling reenmachine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.