Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RX8 for TC racing

Apart from the larger size does anyone know of any disadvantages of using a RX8 in TC racing. Does it use the same firmware?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

I ran the RX8 and the new software in my TC at the Reedy race, yes the size is a bit of a challenge but fit well within my car. I had to move some other electronics to balance the car back out.

In Mod we had some issue keeping speedo temp down and top end rip with the RS-pro, but the RX8 had NO issues. temp on the speedo remained at 2 to 3 LED's, and the rip was amazing. We ran Dual mode still with timing at 70 to 80ish, and motor timing below 10 degrees. profile (1) on throttle, and used some current limiter to soften up the bottom end.

worked great..... after some mod's to the RS-pro and the addition of a fan, the RS-pro has performed well back at home. will be doing some more testing with the new software tonight at our Thursday Club Race, and get the feedback back to Randy.

You guys won't be disappointed nod:
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

It looks like half of the world has the new software...........lol
Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Here a movie of me training at our track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUzg...eature=channel
Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MAD916
I ran the RX8 and the new software in my TC at the Reedy race, yes the size is a bit of a challenge but fit well within my car. I had to move some other electronics to balance the car back out.

In Mod we had some issue keeping speedo temp down and top end rip with the RS-pro, but the RX8 had NO issues. temp on the speedo remained at 2 to 3 LED's, and the rip was amazing. We ran Dual mode still with timing at 70 to 80ish, and motor timing below 10 degrees. profile (1) on throttle, and used some current limiter to soften up the bottom end.

worked great..... after some mod's to the RS-pro and the addition of a fan, the RS-pro has performed well back at home. will be doing some more testing with the new software tonight at our Thursday Club Race, and get the feedback back to Randy.

You guys won't be disappointed nod:
yes rs pro with fan runs great in mod but how did you achieve topspeed in dual mode? I tried dual mode with 70 to almost 90 degrees timing but i couldn't get any speed with my pro10 on a BIG track with roughly 325ft of full throttle with rs pro and novak 4.5t. I am really curious!

I tried it with different rollout but to no avail. Is the rollout the same in dual mode as in sensord or do i need to change it higher or lower in dual??
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey Randy, I've been thinking about getting a Spektrum Dx3S and was wondering if there is anything I need to know about my RS before I buy, such as is it compatable with the Spektrum technology? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Hey Randy, I've been thinking about getting a Spektrum Dx3S and was wondering if there is anything I need to know about my RS before I buy, such as is it compatable with the Spektrum technology? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am using spektrum with my RS Pro without any problems at all.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default DX3R

I've used the DX3R with the Tekin RS for quite a while...zero glitches. ( didn't try super micro receiver but I'm sure it also works fine).

currently running with a 3PKS ...zero problems so far.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Cosmo, I did group your reply sorry.

I'm aware of the "45" . It's an added step that doesn't do anything. Our scalers are stopped in the software and that one was allowed to go further.
1) I set up my RS (198 firmware) with full boost using 3.25 and, based on your statements, assumed this would be the same as 30 degrees boost. Last night I ran the car (rubber TC, 17.5 Duo, min timing at the motor, small-medium carpet track, geared 4.6 FDR) for 3 minutes and it came off at 150, not good! I got out the Hotwire, set boost to 30, ran the car for 3 minutes, came off at 125 (6 minute runs later came off at 152). TQ'd and won last night's club race.

From this I conclude that there *is* a difference between full boost and 30 boost with 3.25 Hotwire. One or the other of them might actually give 30 degrees boost, but not both. Can you explain what I'm seeing?

I looked for a way to download 3.24, but didn't find it. Is that version still available?

2) The timing advance slider is displayed only in dual mode. However, because the RS fails over to dual mode when it detects a sensor failure in sensored-only mode, it is a good idea to set timing advance even in sensored-only mode.

To make this setting, is it correct that you first select the dual mode checkbox, then make the timing advance setting, then select the sensored-only checkbox? Is it correct that even though the TA setting is now gone from view, the TA value you have set will be written to the RS the next time you perform "apply settings"?

3) When calibrating my 3PK/FASST to use the RS, I found it necessary to set a non-zero subtrim on the throttle channel. In 20+ years of RC racing this was the first ESC I *ever used* to require this. Now this adjustment is not a big deal but they must cause a certain percentage of customers to get confused/frustrated, make support calls, etc. Does Tekin gain some offsetting *benefit* from requiring this adjustment? Will the next generation of speed Tekin speed controls still require it?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
1)
3) When calibrating my 3PK/FASST to use the RS, I found it necessary to set a non-zero subtrim on the throttle channel. In 20+ years of RC racing this was the first ESC I *ever used* to require this. Now this adjustment is not a big deal but they must cause a certain percentage of customers to get confused/frustrated, make support calls, etc. Does Tekin gain some offsetting *benefit* from requiring this adjustment? Will the next generation of speed Tekin speed controls still require it?
I have a 3pk and the only thing I had to do was reverse the throttle channel with the sub trim at 0. The only difference is I am using a spektrum pro setup.:weird
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got subtrim set to zero on my 3PK/FASST and it works fine for me.
Recalibrated after every firmware update no probs.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

I've got a 3PK Super and I also only had to reverse the throttle. 0 subtrim.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lycan
Got subtrim set to zero on my 3PK/FASST and it works fine for me.
Recalibrated after every firmware update no probs.
Same here no problems with a 3pk fasst system, i am not sure what your problem is but have you set deadband to 10 on the rs pro?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Its fairly common for you to reverse the throttle channel.
Have done it with my previous Tekins and my Speedpassion GT esc's
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gortan
i too thought that once sensored only mode is enabled, timing under the boost bar was always applied from 0 to 100% throttle (and from 0 to full rpms).

However, while testing the boost and gradually increasing boost from 15 to 30... i'm unable to feel the car slower in take offs... however the difference in top end is very noticeable....

i think a clarification on what is actually happening from tekin is now in order

g
Look a few posts back. It was quoted that it is RPM dependent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.