Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
so what is 2.9 version i just got 189 and what is the difference
2.9 is the version of the Hotwire PC software, 189 is the RS/RSPro firmware version.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Guy's If anyone's interested in this info. I installed a Beta Version of Microsofts Windows 7, It seems like its a cross between Xp /and Vista For a beta its pretty good.

It boots up fast like XP ,I got it from Microsofts Website. I have it on my Alienware Laptop its working pretty well I also Installed Tekin's Hotwire Ver. 1.89 on it as well so far so good. Im going to instal it next on my Acer Aspire one mini laptop with the Tekin Hotwire

Hope this info helps
Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
When I lined up the sensors at Zero on the Orion, it was off the scale on the left. The middle line was about 24 deg. Max timing on the lines was about 36 deg and minimum timing on the lines was about 12 deg.

Of course I'll throw in that this is the physical location of the sensors and may or may not be what the motor will "see" depending on how sensative the sensors are and the speed the motor's at.

Thanks Fred .... I'll try it tomorrow
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You should not need to run the shotky diode on the Rs. It won't hury anyting so either way you're fine.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ok, I need some gearing help or pointers. I have been running the Tekin RS and 17.5 redline for about 3 weeks now and just can't seem to find the happy gearing for our track. Can someone help me out.

Track is 70' x 36' and I am running a TC5 foam tire. Can anyone give me a good starting point on gearing and a setup for the rs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am always reading these forums but just can't seem to put together all the info to make it work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions??

Have a theory, rightly or wrongly I thought Id share it...

Im still waiting for my RS pro but I’ve been watching this thread with great interest. If I say anything is factually incorrect then please correct me.

With the 1.89 firmware the recommended configuration has been to set the motor to 0 degrees and maximum boost (30 degrees is this correct?) on the Speedo. If this is the case does this open the requirement to maybe up the amount of maximum boost available (as there could be greater performance to be achived) as previously it has been stated that there are benefits to run up 45 degrees of advance?

Also, if it is correct that this configuration works best because the electronic boost is not applied until a certain RPM does this not open the question to have a variable degrees depending on the current RPM. Could the ESC monitor the relationship between the RPM, the amount of boost and the the current amp draw to give the required degrees and therefore give you maximum output through the entire rev range!

Any thoughts? Id be particularly interested to hear from the Tekin guys?

Cheers
Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've been thinking along similar lines. I'd like to see the boost "ramp up" with the rate of increase being adjustable as well as the rpm at which the ramp up of the timing begins. I think it would a lot of fun to play with and may have major performance advantages as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys,

The 0 motor timing/full boost setup is good in onroad. I don't like it in offroad. Everyones setup is different.

We "can" do anything we want in regards to boost. However I'm not going to disclose how or what we're doing there, Sorry.

Timing on these motors is critical and hitting on the wrong phase can be deadly...Rest assured we're up to the dark art challenge.

GO TEKIN!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Boost, is applied throughout the whole rpm range.

45* timing mentioned previously took into account the aprox12-15* sensor early trigger timing. ussually people were opting for 10-15 on endbell timing and 15 on esc and 12-15 sensor pre timing totalling about 45*. so your still about there with max 30* in esc and none in endbell timing. Personally I've found that more than about 40* total causes the motor to cog a little under acceleration. Also keep in mind that as timing progresses you approach the negative timing on the next phases.

That said I think an adjustable ramped timing boost would be a huge advantage.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by CouldbeFaster
Have a theory, rightly or wrongly I thought Id share it...

Im still waiting for my RS pro but I’ve been watching this thread with great interest. If I say anything is factually incorrect then please correct me.

With the 1.89 firmware the recommended configuration has been to set the motor to 0 degrees and maximum boost (30 degrees is this correct?) on the Speedo. If this is the case does this open the requirement to maybe up the amount of maximum boost available (as there could be greater performance to be achived) as previously it has been stated that there are benefits to run up 45 degrees of advance?

Also, if it is correct that this configuration works best because the electronic boost is not applied until a certain RPM does this not open the question to have a variable degrees depending on the current RPM. Could the ESC monitor the relationship between the RPM, the amount of boost and the the current amp draw to give the required degrees and therefore give you maximum output through the entire rev range!

Any thoughts? Id be particularly interested to hear from the Tekin guys?

Cheers
For a 17.5, 45 degrees "actual" timing works well. There is a pre-read (sensors fire prior to magnet actually being perfectly in line with them) that varies, but its around 15 degrees. With the pre-read and 30 boost you are around 45.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Running an RS Pro (1.89 fw) in 1/12 scale 17.5. Motor timing at minimum, full boost (Trinity Duo), rollout of 3.33 inches, neutral 15, drag brake 40, brake strength 60, no current limit. At the start (from a dead standstill) the launch is pitiful. Within the first 15 feet or so, people pass me like I'm sitting still. Is this a V1.89 firmware issue? A few others are running Tekin RS/RS Pro and don't seem to have this issue.

After the first 15-20 feet, the car is fine throughout the rest of the race. It's just starting from a dead stop.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Joe;

I don't have that problem, same motor firm ware, motor mid, boost 14, neutral 10, drag 35, but I gear a tad lower, 3.28-3.3 I found that the .02 makes a huge difference, If i run the same set-up and track with a 3.32 it bogs down and won't launch well.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default RS AND REDLINE 10.5BL ITS A MISSILE

Ran the RS AND 10.5BL this weekend in a 1/12th BMI
Timing set too 0 on motor and boost to 30 ,profile 4 on throttle and the car was a missile only wish the thumbs were as good.
Roll out was set at 61mm yes correct 61mm and temp was under 140 degrees.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tellan
Ran the RS AND 10.5BL this weekend in a 1/12th BMI
Timing set too 0 on motor and boost to 30 ,profile 4 on throttle and the car was a missile only wish the thumbs were as good.
Roll out was set at 61mm yes correct 61mm and temp was under 140 degrees.
That's about right! You should have crazy rip in the infield!!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Tried some of the lower gearing on my RS Pro with 20deg boost and profile 5. Geared 35/84 with a 1.690 rear tire. My 1/12 scale would really squirt outta the corners, and the nasty cogging noise is gone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.