Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

My question is this, can the brownout problem be resolved with the use of a cap connected to the reciver?

I ask, because, back in the brushed days, I would have laps missed when racing modified on carpet with foam. We eventually worked out that because the scoring loop was located on a corner exit where the car was accelerating, that the current draw from the motor was causing the transponder (and probably the Rx and servo) to lose power. I solved the problem by connecting a 4400uf cap to my reciver.

Thanks
Mark
You answered your own question.

Yes it may cure the problem. Again this has nothing to do with the ESC but more related to the higher power demands of these new servos especially Savox.

BTW it is not the ESC that browns out but rather the receiver. So when the receiver goes down the ESC loses the radio connection and can't find a signal. With 2.4GHz radios and the handshake protocols it takes a few milliseconds for the receiver to establish contact with the transmitter. This seems to be less of a problem with FHSS protocols.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

The cap did not resolve my brownout problem, however I think the castle bec may, I wiould consider buying it for $20.00 before the cap.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

would running a receiver pack fix the brown out problem?

is everyone having the brown out problem using tekin/spektrum/savox setup or is it hit or miss?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
would running a receiver pack fix the brown out problem?

is everyone having the brown out problem using tekin/spektrum/savox setup or is it hit or miss?
Yes it would.

Spektrum and Savox seems to be the worst combo. Why people keep using Spektrum stuff is beyond me. Seriously people, there are MUCH better performing radios out there. Also, I have seen brown outs with the Spektrum/Savox combo on some other speedos too.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

If you're having brown-outs, it's worthwhile to open up the RS case and inspect the receiver lead carefully. I've replaced the lead on more than one that was kinked and slightly melted enough to knock you down to just a few strands of wire trying to do all the work.

If you change leads to a larger gauge wire, a little bit of work on the case to open up the hole, and a little patience sliding the wires through the rubber grommet make for a robust fix.

The worst one of mine was browning out and acting weird even with a CC BEC. Once I replaced the lead, it was back 100%, no RX cap, no external BEC required.

Last edited by HarryLeach; 02-23-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
The cap did not resolve my brownout problem, however I think the castle bec may, I wiould consider buying it for $20.00 before the cap.
Don't forget about the $25 for the castle link to program the output voltage of that BEC because it's only 5.1V out of the box.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1s to 2s troubles

Have an rs that I've only used in 12th scale blinky since the fall, was using a tq booster. Anyway, I've decided to use the speedo in a new touring car to try a little boosted running and, I cannot seem to get any power to my receiver. Hotwire reads the speed control, battery is charged and I got nothing when I turned the speedo on. Tried bypassing the switch and a different reciever, still nothing. Any ideas of what the problem may be?

Thanks, Eric Lee

Last edited by elee32; 02-24-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
If you're having brown-outs, it's worthwhile to open up the RS case and inspect the receiver lead carefully. I've replaced the lead on more than one that was kinked and slightly melted enough to knock you down to just a few strands of wire trying to do all the work.

If you change leads to a larger gauge wire, a little bit of work on the case to open up the hole, and a little patience sliding the wires through the rubber grommet make for a robust fix.

The worst one of mine was browning out and acting weird even with a CC BEC. Once I replaced the lead, it was back 100%, no RX cap, no external BEC required.
Nice call, I have had my leads replaced by tekin and never considered beefing them up, they are a thinner gauge for sure.

Originally Posted by AreCee
Don't forget about the $25 for the castle link to program the output voltage of that BEC because it's only 5.1V out of the box.
Ya true enough fortunately most people have ran a castle product and have the progammer or no someone that does, but not a given.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elee32
Have an rs that I've only used in 12th scale blinky since the fall, was using a tq booster. Anyway, I've decided to use the speedo in a new touring car to try a little boosted running and, I cannot seem to get any power to my receiver. Hotwire reads the speed control, battery is charged and I got nothing when I turned the speedo on. Tried bypassing the switch and a different reciever, still nothing. Any ideas of what the problem may be?

Thanks, Eric Lee
Just want to make sure you did uncheck the 1s box. I have forgotten to do that before and the speedo will do nothing if it is getting too much voltage.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

is 222 out?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default tekin rs no cap

hey guys i bought a used rs on here i did not notice it when i bought it but now i notice their is no cap on it and probably never has i was able to install the updated software and adjust the settings on it is this a big deal,and can i used a cap that has the same voltage ,but a higher uf rating so i dont have to buy one
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dusttt
is 222 out?
222 Was out. but tekin took it down to do some minor tweaks. sofar i find 222 to be pretty much the same speed as 212, but just super smooth so it feels as the car is going slower first few laps i thought it was slower but lap times don't lie.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by EskimoGangsta
222 Was out. but tekin took it down to do some minor tweaks.
The "minor tweaks" are a bonus. 222 was pulled because they left sensorless operation disabled, as well as some people complaining about weak brakes in boosted. Thus, if your sensor wire or sensor board became damaged, the motor wouldn't work at all.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default download

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
The "minor tweaks" are a bonus. 222 was pulled because they left sensorless operation disabled, as well as some people complaining about weak brakes in boosted. Thus, if your sensor wire or sensor board became damaged, the motor wouldn't work at all.
i just downloaded it do i need to download it again now i quess
Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by the wheel
i just downloaded it do i need to download it again now i quess
Currently, only 212 is available via Tekin's web site. When the issue is fixed, and after ROAR approves it, and new version 223 will be posted on Tekin's web site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.