Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, all.

I have recently bought a RS Pro in prep of a race upcoming, and had been reading all the posts on this thread(200+ pages before this). As overwhelmed as one can be, I have to really thank you all for these wealth of information.

I will be buying a netbook to work with the hotwire. Seems like Hotwire will work with win7, vista and XP. Is there any kind of brand that I should avoid? Also, can anyone confirm it will work with a Windows 7 home edition?

Just before heading out to my home track to test, here are what I think my approach to finding the right gearing/boost timing/turbo/ramps for a TC 11.5R...high temp outdoor asphalt med or large size track, with decent to high grip.
please work with me and point to me if I am wrong in way:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

General ESC setting guildlines:

1) Heat is king. If anything that cause too much heat in motor(80+C/170+F), roll back to earlier setting or make less aggressive gearing/timing/turbo/ramps.

2) Too high gearing or high gearing w/o aggressive boost timing/turbo, will both cause heat or motor fade. Vice versa, if gearing is way too low, the motor might also heat up due to constantly in high rpm range and overload.

3) Gearing/timing boost/turbo/ramps...All settings are inter-correlated to some point. One should always take other settings into consideration when making changes. Gauge motor/ESC each time after making new changes.

4) Set motor timing to approx 0 or a few degree pos. Let the ESC does it's work.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Finding correct gearing/timing boost(and ramp)/turbo boost(delay and ramp)

1) Sentry data logger approach (mainly based on theisgroup (Yang's) post)
  • a) Set timing boost and turbo(and ramps) both to 0
  • b) Drive consistently on track and find appropriate gearing for the infield
  • c) Get the data logger data and find out relevant rpm range in curves and straights
  • d) Educated guess on the 'start rpm' and 'end rpm' for the timing boost
  • e) Add in mild timing boost and test/trial for result. Check lap times/motor heat.
  • f) Add turbo/ramp for long straight over 40+m(120+ft). Add turbo 10, ramp 1 and delay at 0.8-1.0
  • g) Reduce delay until turbo occurs somewhere in middle of long straight and add more turbo/ramp if desirable.

2) Test and trial approach (without the data logger)
  • a) Gear a little slower and start with mild timing boost/ramp to test heat/lap times. Timing boost 35 Start rpm ~3500 End rpm ~12000
  • b) Find decent gearing to achieve good torque/top speed, infield and short straights. Watch motor heat.
  • c) Add boost timing to 45, might need to go one or few tooth smaller pinion.
  • d) Adjust boost timing ramp, to achieve even more rip infield and short straight. Lower 'End rpm' for getting more speed before exiting corner/end of short-straight, lower 'start rpm' to get more speed before mid of corner/short-straight.
  • e) But...don't go too low on 'start rpm', it will bog down motor. Too low 'end rpm' will drive up motor heat fast.
  • f) Add boost timing to 55 if desirable. Repeat c) to e)
  • g) If the long straight is long (40-50m+), add turbo 10, ramp 1 and delay at 0.8-1.0
  • h) Reduce delay until turbo occurs somewhere in middle of long straight and add more turbo/ramp if desirable.
  • In summary, figure out a range of proper gearing first with mild timing boost/ramp; then find optimal ESC settings while controlling heat via those settings.

Last edited by Aurora; 02-10-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

oooppppsss
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Brad hope one of the team tekin guys can help us with a base setup
Originally Posted by Senna Racing
Ha guys heading to Thailand next week
to race in the titc

We will be running hand out 11.5 speed
passion motors

Any ideas would be aprecated

here's a link

http://www.titc.in.th/
Originally Posted by Besercoe
Anyone got a suggested starting point?

I had quite a good setup for a small indoor track, i also used the snowbirds setup apporach and it was slightly slower, but much more driveable.

The SP V3 10.5 motor seems to like max timing on motor, and 50 odd on Timing, with around 10 on turbo for the smaller track.

I would imagine using a normal setup, you could go a lot more Turbo on a big track. Or a snowbirds style by maxxing the Timing boost.

Any ideas apreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Aurora,

i am using acer 1810tz netbook with windows 7 64bit without any issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Anyone got a suggested starting point?

I had quite a good setup for a small indoor track, i also used the snowbirds setup apporach and it was slightly slower, but much more driveable.

The SP V3 10.5 motor seems to like max timing on motor, and 50 odd on Timing, with around 10 on turbo for the smaller track.

I would imagine using a normal setup, you could go a lot more Turbo on a big track. Or a snowbirds style by maxxing the Timing boost.

Any ideas apreciated.
I don't think the Snowbirds setup will work on a big track.
Go to the conventional setup.

Your right about the Speedpassion motor, it loves his motor timing and a bit heavier gearing than other motors.

Start with a Boost of 40 to 45.
Turbo 15
Turbo ramp 2
Turbo delay 0,8sec
Gearing around the 6FDR on a large track.
I don't now the size but I think you will find a good gearing for a good acceleration.
Start RPM 4000
End RPM 19000
The wider RPM range makes that you can gear heavier.

Play after you found a good gearing with the Boost and the Turbo.
It can be that 10 Turbo and 50 Boost will work better than 40 Boost and 20 Turbo.
Play first with the Boost and ad Turbo for top speed only.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am after a set up that will make my tekin like my old SPX

This my seem like a stupid request BUT my lap times were more consistant with it and I am struggling with all the power

I will work from there with the set up and build my speed up as i get used to it

I am using a GM 13.5 motor in a T3 and a flowing track with a 30 meter straight
Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aurora
Hi, all.

I will be buying a netbook to work with the hotwire. Seems like Hotwire will work with win7, vista and XP. Is there any kind of brand that I should avoid? Also, can anyone confirm it will work with a Windows 7 home edition?

Funny you posted this. I'm doing the same exact thing. My 15" laptop is just to big to lug around at the track, plus it's older and the battery only lasts about 1 hour, 45 min if I'm lucky. Outlets are at a premium at my track, and it's almost overtaxed already with everyones power supplies, chargers, dischargers, tire warmers, etc.

I've been researching netbooks for the last week, and this is what I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1005HA-VU.../dp/B002DYIXNC

Most of the newer netbooks will have Win 7 starter edition, and it's very stripped down. I needed Win XP because I have 2 other ESC's that only work with Win XP.

The netbook I linked is just about the best out there if you want low cost, great battery life, human-sized keyboard, and a matte screen.

The matte screen is very important if you will be using it outside. It's very readable, where almost all the other netbooks with glossy screens turn into mirrors outside and make it very difficult to see. The matte screen is way better in that regard, and was the selling point for me, since both my racing venues are outside...

Hope that helped.

- Paulie
Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
I am after a set up that will make my tekin like my old SPX

This my seem like a stupid request BUT my lap times were more consistant with it and I am struggling with all the power

I will work from there with the set up and build my speed up as i get used to it

I am using a GM 13.5 motor in a T3 and a flowing track with a 30 meter straight
lower the timing boost to around 40 and move the end rpm up a little so it will smooth it out some
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Rookie

mjc168 and Paulie,
Thanks for the notebook recommendation!

Anyone care to comment how is my setup procedure(few posts up)?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Absolutely cool amigo. Great post!

Bill

Thanks for your words man ...

cya !
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am running the Hotwire software on Windows 7 Ultimate with zero problems whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aurora
mjc168 and Paulie,
Thanks for the notebook recommendation!

Anyone care to comment how is my setup procedure(few posts up)?

You summarised correctly pretty much everything that has been commented about the setup porcedure. There is one thing you may not have noticed is the setup used at 'birds by Jason Schrefflers which is a very smart way of using tur bo and boost. It may not work for everybody though.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Trying to download v203

Got a question guys: What am I doing wrong? I registered on Tekins site for the Vegas 2.0 download and they sent me a "Vegas 2.0" graphic with the words "Click here to download the Tekin Vegas Hotwire software". When I click on it, it sends me back to the registration form. A friend sent me his link to try and it does the same thing. I usually use my Mac/Safari and thought this might be causing an issue, but I get the same thing when using my pc.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Got a question guys: What am I doing wrong? I registered on Tekins site for the Vegas 2.0 download and they sent me a "Vegas 2.0" graphic with the words "Click here to download the Tekin Vegas Hotwire software". When I click on it, it sends me back to the registration form. A friend sent me his link to try and it does the same thing. I usually use my Mac/Safari and thought this might be causing an issue, but I get the same thing when using my pc.
did you get the email,that is the download
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Emile

look forward to trying it

Originally Posted by mikky32
I don't think the Snowbirds setup will work on a big track.
Go to the conventional setup.

Your right about the Speedpassion motor, it loves his motor timing and a bit heavier gearing than other motors.

Start with a Boost of 40 to 45.
Turbo 15
Turbo ramp 2
Turbo delay 0,8sec
Gearing around the 6FDR on a large track.
I don't now the size but I think you will find a good gearing for a good acceleration.
Start RPM 4000
End RPM 19000
The wider RPM range makes that you can gear heavier.

Play after you found a good gearing with the Boost and the Turbo.
It can be that 10 Turbo and 50 Boost will work better than 40 Boost and 20 Turbo.
Play first with the Boost and ad Turbo for top speed only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.