Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So, you want a 'suck' button?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want it to feel more like an LRP or Novak, just put it in Sensored Only mode. This is how I run it with a 13.5. For mod I run dual for better throttle control though.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I dunno, I don't think the feel of the LRP is bad at all. It's kind of become the gold standard for brushless ESC's, so aspiring to match or improve upon its feel seems like a reasonable goal for a grassroots ESC like Tekin.

I'll try the sensored only mode next week and see how it feels.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
One of the potential drawbacks of a highly configurable ESC is that you can get lost in the details. When you use something like a GTB, you basically get what you get, and learn to live with it. With the Tekin, as soon as you realize there's so much room to wiggle, you're going to want to twist every knob in hopes of squeezing out more performance, or better feel.

I think Tekin's only mistake at this point is that there isn't an easy default profile to make the ESC feel more like a Novak, or LRP. I see they're working on a way of sharing profiles online. It would be cool if they created some that mimic the other popular ESC's on the market, that way you could start at a known point, and then adjust to your liking from there.
Useing the hotwire it's easy to default the ESC by selecting the correct button...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Useing the hotwire it's easy to default the ESC by selecting the correct button...
Yeah, I just meant other profiles that are already configured for you. There's a section in the software that appears to be reserved for sharing ESC setups from pro drivers, and the like. You could just as easily include more generic profiles that mimic other controllers on the market.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
So, you want a 'suck' button?

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Yeah, I just meant other profiles that are already configured for you. There's a section in the software that appears to be reserved for sharing ESC setups from pro drivers, and the like. You could just as easily include more generic profiles that mimic other controllers on the market.
It seems to me that if you wanted the specific feel of another speed control, you should have bought that speed control. Nobody buys a Novak expecting it to feel like an LRP, why should it be any different for Tekin?

I do wish they had profiles you could use as starting points though, like a 'high punch' one and a 'long sweeping' and 'tight twisting.'

Either way, I love my RS and HotWire, it was good when I first got it, and after tuning it some I love it even more.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Lord

You guys are being really thick about this. I've got two GTB's and two LRP's that I've run for nearly 4 years now, so please don't lecture me on what to buy. It was just a suggestion on how to ease people into this brave new world of configurable speed controls by giving them a quick way to get to a known state. The default profile on the RS is weak, and there's a bit of a learning curve to get back up to speed. Nobody needs to get their butts hurt, it's not a knock on Tekin.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So am I to take from all this that I'm going to have to have Hotwire along with my RS in order to be happy with it?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
So am I to take from all this that I'm going to have to have Hotwire along with my RS in order to be happy with it?
if you want to get the most out of the RS you will need the hotwire.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Syndrome, I agree, I was the one complaining about being a lap slower. I spoke to Jeff Cuffs and found out that the default current limit is most likely the cause and also found out that I should advance the timing a lot. I bench tested the speed control and it sounds a lot faster than it was before.

I love the trhottle feel of the SC and the size also. I just wish the default setting would have been closer to what I needed. Especially since I didn't have the hotwire at the race to see what exactly my seetings were.

The speed control in every other aspect is awesome. I can't wait to try it out now that I feel it is set up right for my 10.5 Trinity Motor.

Thanks to Jeff Cuffs hero and friend!!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BNiels707

It seems to me that if you wanted the specific feel of another speed control, you should have bought that speed control. Nobody buys a Novak expecting it to feel like an LRP, why should it be any different for Tekin?
What if you wanted the feel of the LRP at one particular track and the feel of the Novak at another? If you could have that with one speedo then why not?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
if you want to get the most out of the RS you will need the hotwire.
Even with 13.5? That's all I'll be running for the foreseeable future, perhaps with a dash of 10.5 here and there for flavor. Is it worth trying w/o hotwire first, or should I just man up and go all the way? I'm a mac guy so I'll have to dig up an old PC somewhere...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Even with 13.5? That's all I'll be running for the foreseeable future, perhaps with a dash of 10.5 here and there for flavor. Is it worth trying w/o hotwire first, or should I just man up and go all the way? I'm a mac guy so I'll have to dig up an old PC somewhere...
I tried a Trinity DUO 13.5 with my RS PRO and found the Hot Wire very useful in tuning it to get what I wanted out of it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

well the default timing for the RS is 12% (3.6 degrees) not enough to get the 13.5 where you want it to be , you need the hotwire to bump the timing to about 80% (24 degrees) , I actually ended up with 90% timing to get the same speed as with my LRP TC spec. ( same car and motor,same gearing)
Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
well the default timing for the RS is 12% (3.6 degrees) not enough to get the 13.5 where you want it to be , you need the hotwire to bump the timing to about 80% (24 degrees) , I actually ended up with 90% timing to get the same speed as with my LRP TC spec. ( same car and motor,same gearing)
Ya I ended up with 65%, but that is for offroad, with 90% I am assuming you run onroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.