Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS ESC sensored >

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
With a motor like the Orion that can dial in an insane amount of physical timing it may make sense to run sensored only.
Should that be sensorless only? As i am pretty sure that a the RS is not gunna like running a 13.5 in sensorless mode only.

With the description of the Hybrid mode providing fixed timing at startup to me that is really detrimental to 10.5/13.5 performance, when the sensored mode is engaged.

I was of the impression that the sensored mode was only engaged when the motor was either not moving or at low speed. Does that mean that sensored is also engaged when the car is moving but off throttle?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mangoman
Should that be sensorless only? As i am pretty sure that a the RS is not gunna like running a 13.5 in sensorless mode only.

With the description of the Hybrid mode providing fixed timing at startup to me that is really detrimental to 10.5/13.5 performance, when the sensored mode is engaged.

I was of the impression that the sensored mode was only engaged when the motor was either not moving or at low speed. Does that mean that sensored is also engaged when the car is moving but off throttle?
No he means sensored only.

Why would it be detrimental at startup ? It's only just the same as all the other sensored motors. Besides at low speeds on a sensored speedo the timing doesn't shift much anyway.

In hybrid the sensored mode is only at startup or extremely low speeds that's correct, not off power.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Quick (hopefully simple) question -- is there any advantage to getting an "RS motor/ESC combo) vs. buying the motor and ESC separately? Extra stuff in with the combo?

If not, I'll get the ESC now (have an opportunity to save some $) and the 13.5 motor when I can.

TIA
Just a guess but I assume the combo is a little cheaper then buying them separately.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ahh i see what he means with sensored now.

Wouldnt a small timing adjustment from a purely sensored esc surely be an advantage none the less? Hopefully Fred will find otherwise with his testing....
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run in both modes with a Novak 13.5 and to be honest, they ran pretty much the same for me on a long outdoor track.

The RS will go into sensored mode any time that the speed control can't accurately locate the rotor in sensorless mode. If it's on the sensor it has sensored timing. Off the sensor it has sensorless timing.

Motors like the Orion may be a little different because you can crank way more timing in on the motor. For motors like that sensored only mode may be the ticket for long tracks.

I've always started with zero timing in 12th because they turn so much less rpm.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Li-Po with Mod motor use which mode ?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Originally Posted by reenmachine
Quick (hopefully simple) question -- is there any advantage to getting an "RS motor/ESC combo) vs. buying the motor and ESC separately? Extra stuff in with the combo?

If not, I'll get the ESC now (have an opportunity to save some $) and the 13.5 motor when I can.

TIA
Just a guess but I assume the combo is a little cheaper then buying them separately.
Not from Tower at least, but I'm sure others may be different. It's just that I have a $55 credit with Tower and with their $20 off $150 coupon I can get into the RS ESC for $100. Then I can find the Redline 13.5 elsewhere on its own. I just wanted to know if I'd be missing out on anything by taking this approach vs. backordering the "combo" somewhere.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Li-Po with Mod motor use which mode ?
I would run the standard hybrid mode in mod and adjust the timing with the hotwire if you need more. In mod more timing will get the speed control hotter.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

After reading most of the posts below...sounds like I need to have a lot of setting to make the ESC works properly, soft brake..soft bottom end..heating..1 lap off the pace..firmware interfacing problem & etc...never read or hear so much problems with other ESC.. It really freak me out now

My RS PRO is delivering on the way to my doorstep.. Kindly of worry...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MARKANO
After reading most of the posts below...sounds like I need to have a lot of setting to make the ESC works properly, soft brake..soft bottom end..heating..1 lap off the pace..firmware interfacing problem & etc...never read or hear so much problems with other ESC.. It really freak me out now

No need to worry, you will be happy with your RS Pro

The speed control is more adjustable than any other on the market and as such, you'll see people playing around with settings more. People with performance issues typically do not have the speed control/motor package timed or geared correctly.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have 3 of them now, 2 pro's and a regular rs. I bough 2 of them used. I sped up by about 1.3 seconds a lap on average. Granted i'm not the best driver, solid b main finisher, but i tell you what this speedo has allowed me to drive smoother, dive deeper in to corners and gear for more speed than w/ my novak setup. It's also helped me w/ my car setup because now i am not just off the pace, but consistently off the pace. Meaning my laptimes don't really vary much any more and they are consistently .5 to 1 second off off the top A main guys so now i can tweak the car for a specific thing and not worry about speed, now i can concentrate on the corners and get that .5 seconds .

I couldn't be happier w/ my tekins!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Tech Master

Have you tried the hotwire on a different computer. I had issues once at the track, used someone's laptop to update his R1 and it said it did it all but in fact did nothing. Took us a few runs to realise that the laptop was the issue, did it on a different ona and it was updated right away...
Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think what you are hearing are people just sharing ideas on how they like to tune their ESC for their driving styles. As far as the Hotwire goes I didn't have any issues with XP Pro. You shouldn't worry. You'll be happy with your RS.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BL newbie here. I'm contemplating the RS with a 13.5, the Redlines seem to be out of stock at Tower. Anyone can advice me on another combo, Vector X11 or Novak SS or ... ?

Last edited by stocker; 08-08-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

One of the potential drawbacks of a highly configurable ESC is that you can get lost in the details. When you use something like a GTB, you basically get what you get, and learn to live with it. With the Tekin, as soon as you realize there's so much room to wiggle, you're going to want to twist every knob in hopes of squeezing out more performance, or better feel.

I think Tekin's only mistake at this point is that there isn't an easy default profile to make the ESC feel more like a Novak, or LRP. I see they're working on a way of sharing profiles online. It would be cool if they created some that mimic the other popular ESC's on the market, that way you could start at a known point, and then adjust to your liking from there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.