Tekin RS ESC sensored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, I replaced the stock rotor in my Redline 10.5 recently. I wasn't careful and ended up with a 13.0mm rotor, I was planning to get the stock size rotor. What differences will this make? FYI it's for a mod truck.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

larger will give more torque
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Does it come at the cost of rpm or anything else? Does this make a large or small difference in the motor's characteristics?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys,

The 200 offers up a new way to tune for certain tracks. If your straight away is on the short side(80Ft or less) take your current 198 setup gearing and all and simply reduce the pinions by say 2 teeth(64p) and add 10 to the turbo with .5 delay.

The delay is based off time spent at WOT(full throttle).

If your track has a longer straight 90ft+ you will be better off dialing in your car for the infield sections with gearing and timing WITHOUT turbo to start. Once you've got that setup simply roll in the turbo timing. The delay on this type of setup is KEY. You must make sure it's not coming on too early. Ideally 200 should feel like 2nd gear and come on at that "ideal" time where if it were a real car you'd be shifting too.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Guys,

The 200 offers up a new way to tune for certain tracks. If your straight away is on the short side(80Ft or less) take your current 198 setup gearing and all and simply reduce the pinions by say 2 teeth(64p) and add 10 to the turbo with .5 delay.

If your track has a longer straight 90ft+ you will be better off dialing in your car for the infield sections with gearing and timing WITHOUT turbo to start. Once you've got that setup simply roll in the turbo timing. The delay on this type of setup is KEY. You must make sure it's not coming on too early. Ideally 200 should feel like 2nd gear and come on at that "ideal" time where if it were a real car you'd be shifting too.
That's pretty much how I set up my esc now. Its been working great for me. However, we'll have more tunability if the Turbo delay can go down to 0.0 sec. I understand, if I'm not wrong, that this is to "idiot proof" the esc but some racers are willing to risk everything when racing gets intense. Same thing to the Turbo Timing. If only we can tweak how long or quick it takes to reach max turbo would be awesome.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

So myself and a couple others at my track were all testing and running 200 today, and there seems to be a common problem, at least with the guys I was discussing it with, and that is the turbo going away mid race.

When I first got the car onto the track to practice first thing in the morning, i was shocked at how much faster it was. about 50 feet down the straight, the car seemed to get a second gear and was blisteringly fast for a 17.5 But... after 5 or 6 laps, the turbo seems to turn off or just go away. My track has a HUGE straight.... the back and side straights together total up to something like 180 feet.... after those 5 or 6 laps, my car is exactly as fast at the front of the straight, as it is at the back of the straight.

I tried gearing it down 4 teath, up 4 teeth... 30 degrees of total timing, 10 degrees of total timing... didn't make any difference in the turbo going away. When the car comes off the track, and you hold it in your hands and give it full throttle, the turbo looks like it is still working, but it doesn't ramp up speed when the car is on the ground like it does up in the air.

Settings:

Duo 17.5
6min temps ~130 -~140
tried gearing between 4.3 and 4.8 (im normally geared around 4.0-4.3 i think)

At least two other racers experience the same thing, and I also experience the exact same thing in my 13.5 1s WGT car as well.

Any hints? tips?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

way to go tekin!!!

just saw that guys are already having probs with the new balistic motors from novak. and to quote from steve weiss. the new ballistics power output is the same as the old ss motors. the new ballistics just have newer features like rebuilding and timing along with the harness.
this is what he said over on his thread when asked about these motors. so what that you can mix and match things. big deal the thing still has to perform better. so novak keeps the same power outputs but gives the motor a new name and look? whats up with that?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
So myself and a couple others at my track were all testing and running 200 today, and there seems to be a common problem, at least with the guys I was discussing it with, and that is the turbo going away mid race.

When I first got the car onto the track to practice first thing in the morning, i was shocked at how much faster it was. about 50 feet down the straight, the car seemed to get a second gear and was blisteringly fast for a 17.5 But... after 5 or 6 laps, the turbo seems to turn off or just go away. My track has a HUGE straight.... the back and side straights together total up to something like 180 feet.... after those 5 or 6 laps, my car is exactly as fast at the front of the straight, as it is at the back of the straight.

I tried gearing it down 4 teath, up 4 teeth... 30 degrees of total timing, 10 degrees of total timing... didn't make any difference in the turbo going away. When the car comes off the track, and you hold it in your hands and give it full throttle, the turbo looks like it is still working, but it doesn't ramp up speed when the car is on the ground like it does up in the air.

Settings:

Duo 17.5
6min temps ~130 -~140

At least two other racers experience the same thing, and I also experience the exact same thing in my 13.5 1s WGT car as well.

Any hints? tips?
Cpt i ran mine in my offroad last night and saw the same thing. after say 4 min the turbo goes away.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JdogL
Cpt i ran mine in my offroad last night and saw the same thing. after say 4 min the turbo goes away.
You got 4 minutes?.... I get 1 or 2.. maybe.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

You got 4 minutes?.... I get 1 or 2.. maybe.
LMAO yeah 4 min
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I ran 200 for the first time today. It worked as expected. I used to use a 4.4 FDR (17.5) and got down to 4.8-4.9. The only time turbo didn't kick in was if I had a wobble somewhere on the straight or coming into the straight. What was interesting was that my temps were low...mid 130's to low 140's. All in all I was happy with the speed it gave me on the straight (90ft).
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

yeah gordie i ran offroad 10.5 4wd last night and the hottest it got was like 132. and only 3 esc led's
Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Settings:

Duo 17.5
6min temps ~130 -~140

Any hints? tips?
Hey Cpt. America,

I was using the same setup as you were talking about, but didn't have any of the issues you are talking about. I don't think Mark Brown did either. I used Randy's 17.5 setup and geared my 17.5 duo at 4.3 (xray '007), motor timing at 0. It never got hotter than 130 deg. I did notice that you can't ease up on the trigger at all or it resets the delay. Could that be it?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Guys,

Completely understood. Turbo, should come in like second gear. Not all people hit second gear at the same time. There are just too many variations.
If there is no possibility of having the delay lowered, that is fine. I just think I can go faster if I were to have a shorter delay. Am I wrong? Probably, but I still want to try. Will I blow my motor? Maybe, but I been wanting to buy a new one anyway.

If I can top out my rpms sooner than .5sec, then why not let turbo come in quicker?

And as far as hitting turbo anywhere but the strait, it won't happen with me. I gear and drive my car so I am not pegged the whole way around the track.

Settings:

Duo 17.5
6min temps ~130 -~140

Any hints? tips?
Just a guess, but maybe your packs are going flat? My turbo seemed to pull strong all day long. When I pull off the track, with 17.5, I have approximately 7.8v left. I did notice the turbo was weaker when I practiced for extended periods of time.

--pakk
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by big al
Hey Cpt. America,

I was using the same setup as you were talking about, but didn't have any of the issues you are talking about. I don't think Mark Brown did either. I used Randy's 17.5 setup and geared my 17.5 duo at 4.3 (xray '007), motor timing at 0. It never got hotter than 130 deg. I did notice that you can't ease up on the trigger at all or it resets the delay. Could that be it?
Nope, that is not it, as I realise that letting off full throttle kills the turbo. One of the first things I did after I got to experience the turbo (first practice laps of the day), was widen my line on the straight so I could take the back corner at full throttle, so the turbo would last all the way to the end hairpin. after 4 or 5 laps... turbo is gone. What timing boost did you use? I ran 10degrees on the can (middle hole), and tried 10 on the esc, as well as 20 on the esc. 4.3 is certainly geared higher than I was.

No matter what I did.... turbo would only last for between 4 and 6 laps. I was actually a bit dissapointed. Certainly something else is wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.