Tekin RS ESC sensored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

I don't know why so many people are having problems with the RS, I use to run a gtb and imo it sucked! I upgraded the firmware and my car now crazy fast. Oh, I'm using it with a 17.5 DUO in a Sedan.

Best ESC I've bought!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also if I have my motor all the way advanced I don't need as much timing on the esc? Or should I retard the motor and advance the esc?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

For my 17.5 dou, I have the motor timing at 0* and have the timing on the esc all the way up. This setup has given me the most power without creating too much heat.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayzone
I don't know why so many people are having problems with the RS, I use to run a gtb and imo it sucked! I upgraded the firmware and my car now crazy fast. Oh, I'm using it with a 17.5 DUO in a Sedan.

Best ESC I've bought!
If I can get it dialed in you might be right it does seem nice to be able to play with the settings so easily. I have a 17.5 novak and its in a TC5. I dont know if the motor makes that much of a difference or not?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
Also if I have my motor all the way advanced I don't need as much timing on the esc? Or should I retard the motor and advance the esc?
For spec motors your total timing should not exceed 30 as a baseline setup. Start with 10 on the motor and 20 boost.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

If I can get it dialed in you might be right it does seem nice to be able to play with the settings so easily. I have a 17.5 novak and its in a TC5. I dont know if the motor makes that much of a difference or not?
When I made the change from my novak 17.5 to the Duo, I noticed a big difference and I find the DUO easier to clean.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Krio
For spec motors your total timing should not exceed 30 as a baseline setup. Start with 10 on the motor and 20 boost.
I've heard of the same setup, how has it worked for you?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Twelvegauge... it doesnt look like you are actually reading the responses you are getting here. Try these steps....

1) Clean out the inside of your motor. Sounds like you might have some debris
2) Download the latest firmware from tekin's website, 1.98
3) Install 198 on your PC (you have to completely uninstall the old version first)
4) Upgrade your ESC using the hotwire
5) RECALIBRATE YOUR ESC TO YOUR RADIO <<<important step
6) drop the timing on the endbell of your motor to something like 10 degrees
7) Now that you are upgraded and recalibrated, go through the settings in the hotwire.... I would start with these

Sensored only check box
Timing boost - 20 (this will give you a total of 30.. 10 on motor, 20 in hotwire)
Throttle profile - 5
Current limit - off
motor type - brushless forward and brake only
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by heretic
Hello everyone ;

I'm considering buying a used Rs pro from a guy who started recently but wants to stop after only a few months.

It will come with the hotwire.

My questions are the following :

1) about the braking issue. I might run mod on a very large track. Some say the brakes are on the weak side, some say it's fine. So I'm lost here. Is that a Hardware issue or something that can be solved by updating the software ? If that is a Hardware issue, I will buy the ESC new just to be sure, and if it's software-related, I'll buy the used one knowing it can be fixed with the update #200.

2) The reason why I buy this ESC is the performance and the internet updating-thing, that is just the most brilliant idea and your success is well deserved. But as a non-english-speaker and not-yet-Tekin-ESC-owner I sometimes find it a bit hard to understand. Especially the timing/boost features, it gets complex and I honestly don't find myself stupid, I try really hard to understand, and I'm not exactly a newcomer to BL. So what I mean is : since the Tekin drivers themselves say they learn all the time from program update to another, it would be nice to have a "official tekin voice " telling us every month or so , what is the latest and most recent piece of information (according to the latest public update) they have gathered among their drivers, so that the user can know in which direction to go. For instance if I buy a RS tomorrow and use update 198, I'll start to figure out how it works just when #200 comes out, and I'll have to start all over again. I'm tempted to buy the speedo and just run it without any fancy feature, exploiting 80% of its potential, until I'm sure i have a solid program to start to explore with. For example I see comments about tuning the ESC/motor with the update #199 while only the 198 is available and I'm told the 200 comes soon... it makes me feel a bit lost, I have to say.

I hope my english is understandable ! thanx in advance. I'll be back on this thread very soon and very regularly, believe me .
The braking is in the software. Most motors have no problem with it.
That's some ting you don't have to worry about.

The setup is easy.
Witch language do you speak?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

The main thing with the novak motors is the lack of marking for timing which makes it hard to accurately set timing and boost.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought a tekin rs to replace my novak gtb that burned up on me again, I am not impressed so far and i have the hot wire program but I dont know what you guys mean with the boost I dont see anything about that on the screen. When I punch it from a stop it hesitates for a second then goes I still have the novak 17.5 motor in it. when I had the gtb it would roast the tires on take off not now. any suggestions on what I need or need to do?
I had a similar issue using the RS and a Novak motor....Make sure to check that the timing isn't too far out there....I just ended switching to the Tekin motor and my problems went away. The motor wasn't bad, it just seemed like it was searching for rotor position or something on take off with the 4-Cell application. The Novak is the only motor that I had issues with using the RS. That motor still works fine in other applications......
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tellan
Ran the RS AND 10.5BL this weekend in a 1/12th BMI
Timing set too 0 on motor and boost to 30 ,profile 4 on throttle and the car was a missile only wish the thumbs were as good.
Roll out was set at 61mm yes correct 61mm and temp was under 140 degrees.
When you posted this were you running 189?

The reason I ask is because the feeling of 189 is a lot different than 198. So you may have to rethink your setup a bit. I wish I knew more about 1/12th so I could help you out. I am sure Randy and many others will help you out on this thread. Also there's nothing wrong with going back to 189 until you get your setup straightened out.

Originally Posted by tellan
I have 2 RS Escs just loaded the latest software available and not so impressed. If i was honest car handling was better with the 189 setting . A number of cars were been blown away by the LRP SPX in stock 10.5 1/12th carpet racing.
Seriously thinking of purchasing an LRP SPX unless i can get this set to my satisfaction maybe the never ending upgrades will fix the problem roll on profile 200 if it ever hits the street.
This will be my last attempt to get what i want before i decide to part company with the RS . Hope it is solved as i really like the TEKIN products but it seems we are been used as trial bunnies . There have been so many upgrades (some of them duff releases) im a little bit dissalusioned.

RANDY are you listening can you solve my problems.
I wouldn't say we are being "used" as trial bunnies. I have been more than willing to test the different software. Remember some of the releases have been by request only. So I wouldn't say Tekin has been exploiting us. I think allowing us to beta test some software has been a huge help to me, and allows Tekin stay in tune to what drivers want. NO other ESC company allows the average Joe this type of input.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I wouldn't say we are being "used" as trial bunnies. I have been more than willing to test the different software. Remember some of the releases have been by request only. So I wouldn't say Tekin has been exploiting us. I think allowing us to beta test some software has been a huge help to me, and allows Tekin stay in tune to what drivers want. NO other ESC company allows the average Joe this type of input.
+1 - I'll take having to deal with a few "beta bugs" over having to buy the newest speedo every few months. Once you find the right settings, you'll love this speedo...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I just bought the rs I hope I didn't make a foolish purches quotes like these scare me. I had the novak gtb spectrum and could keep up with the guys that had the tekin, I will see tommarow at the races if I figure it out.
I still have not been informed where to get v189???????
Here are the steps to upgrade:
-Download Hotwire 3.25 (it comes with all the firmwares you need)
-Install
-Plug esc to hotwire hardware
-Plug USB chord coming from hotwire to PC
-Double click the T on your desktop
-Once its up, click version (lower right)
-a window will slide out
-Hit v198
-move mouse over at the bottom
-you will see a txt called "install"
-Hit it
-wait till its over updating your esc
-recalibrate radio
-tweak your settings

Hope this helps you
Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Being part of the team, it is expected of me to report of my findings to the team manager of any problems I encounter with the products, but also when things go well too of course!

Communication is a vital part to the team and its future.

Being sponsored, I take the rough with the smooth - and you have to if you want to learn!

Im definately not feeling like a trial bunny. Without learning, you don't get any faster...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.