Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
You need new software so you have the timing boost feature. Randy can send you the newest version which installs easy and quick.

Most are running the 17.5 with the motor timing and 0deg to 10 deg in sensored only mode with enough boost timing to equal 30 total for the motor setting and boost added together. Gearing depends on car and track. Always start low and work up watching motor temps.

Tekin Prez
what is the difference between

0 motor timing & max boost
and
max motor timing & 0 boost?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
can someone email me the lastest and greatest software, thanks in advance
[email protected]
email randy and he will send it to you
Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I'm bumping up and giving 10.5 TC a try and need some guidance for a starting point.

Medium-sized outdoor asphalt, roughly 105' x 75'.

With RS 194/Redline 17.5/0 motor/max boost I run an FDR of about 4.2 on this track for reference.

I'll be running RS 194/Redline 10.5/7.4V lipo.

Should I still run 0 motor/max boost with a 10.5?

What's a good starting FDR?
Just floating this one more time since it got buried pretty quickly...
Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Ok I haven't been following the thread as much as I used to so I'm a tad behind here. With 189 the hot setup seemed to be 0 timing on the motor and max on the boost. With 194 is that still the best setup? I've seen both that setup mentioned and one running 10 boost and 20 on the motor to total 30 so I just need some clarity. I'm running a LRP 13.5 motor.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is everyone's Redline motors loud? I thought it was just my car (running a shaft drive car now) but turns out it was actually the motor(s) that are loud. I put my Trinity in and it was at least 4X's quieter. Both my Redlines are loud 21.5 and 17.5. The 21.5 a little louder.

Im OK with them being loud if that is how its supposed to be. I was just surprised by the difference.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
what is the difference between

0 motor timing & max boost
and
max motor timing & 0 boost?
First you need to understand what timing does to the motor. More timing gives the motor more RPM but reduces the amount of torque it can produce. So more motor timing is great for large open tracks where your full throttle the majority of the time. The cool thing Tekin has done is to provide this timing when it's needed, near the full throttle point, not over the entire range which would be a waste.

When you adjust the motor timing it obviously effects the entire RPM range. When you use Boost in the ESC it only applies when your throttle reaches about 90%.

So with 0 motor timing and 30 from the ESC it provides great low speed torque to exit corners quickly and less torque higher rpm for the straight sections. You could think of it like having a 2 speed transmission.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pete, we were running at Speedworld today running 13.5's and we were FDR'd at 5.0 to 5.8 depending on setup.

I'd say your FDR is a bit off as the 10.5 is going to have more rpm. Speedworld is touting a 160ft straight for comparison.

We tested with a bunch of setups today and the fastest trap speed(radar gun) was 39 with a Tekin RS Pro and Tekin Redline. However it was cleary timed too high. We did pull it back in and make some adjustmens and Tekin Driver Jason Moberly was pulling off consistent laptimes and trap speed starting at 37mph and finished with 35mph for a 5 minute run.

He was FDR'd around 5.8 if memory serves me correctly on his FT TC5r.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
From what I've read here, there's no RPM or throttle position based shift in timing when using boost, it's simply more timing added to what is set at the endbell of the motor, and is there the whole time the motor is running.
Wouldn't that just be timing then?

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
The cool thing Tekin has done is to provide this timing when it's needed, near the full throttle point, not over the entire range which would be a waste.

When you adjust the motor timing it obviously effects the entire RPM range. When you use Boost in the ESC it only applies when your throttle reaches about 90%.

So with 0 motor timing and 30 from the ESC it provides great low speed torque to exit corners quickly and less torque higher rpm for the straight sections. You could think of it like having a 2 speed transmission.
At least that is what I thought and it feels that way. It does not kick like a second gear, but the top end is very distinct. I have to believe it is RPM dependent because I can only hear it on the straits after the car is able to get some speed.

Has tekin ever said anything official on how and when boost kicks in? If not, feel free to tell us now :-)

If it is a secret, fine. I don't see it being a secret for long. I am sure all other companys will soon have this feature.

I too would like to be able to control how and when boost kicks in. Stages would be good too. a 3d map would even be better, I just don't think it would be necessary, but it would be cool.

--pakk
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

First you need to understand what timing does to the motor. More timing gives the motor more RPM but reduces the amount of torque it can produce. So more motor timing is great for large open tracks where your full throttle the majority of the time. The cool thing Tekin has done is to provide this timing when it's needed, near the full throttle point, not over the entire range which would be a waste.

ok, so I race regularly on a tight track. So motor timing should be 0 for max torque.

So If I have 0 boost and then 30 boost, would the 30 boost sacrifice bottom end, or I gather the boost only gives more top end.

Is that correct?

If so, I guess its always better to leave the boost at 30 if it doesnt affect torque, given the motor temps are within operational temps.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Pete, we were running at Speedworld today running 13.5's and we were FDR'd at 5.0 to 5.8 depending on setup.

I'd say your FDR is a bit off as the 10.5 is going to have more rpm. Speedworld is touting a 160ft straight for comparison.

We tested with a bunch of setups today and the fastest trap speed(radar gun) was 39 with a Tekin RS Pro and Tekin Redline. However it was cleary timed too high. We did pull it back in and make some adjustmens and Tekin Driver Jason Moberly was pulling off consistent laptimes and trap speed starting at 37mph and finished with 35mph for a 5 minute run.

Thanks for letting me take a spin with your car. Wolf needs to send you a spool for that thing though. Also thanks for the drop cloth. Man the ground was hot. We almost had some black on black crimes with the black top and myself Great testing today.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

It's interesting how differently we have to gear these things with the RS and 189/194. The standard FDR at our track for 13.5 is 4.6 and for 10.5 is about 5.5. For 17.5 it's 3.6 and I'm geared at 4.2 with RS 194/Redline 17.5.

I'm going to gear this 10.5 up in the 6-something range and see what happens.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bk,

Your statement about boost only coming in near full throttle is counter to what Ty@TeamTekin said about boost back in December... check THIS POST
He pretty much flatly states that the boost is there across the board, not just near full throttle.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

0 to full throttle you've got boost when it's active in the ESC.
That states that boost is not dependent on throttle position. It can still be rpm dependent.

--pakk
Old 04-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was looking on the Teamtekin.com forum and Randy had posted the following

Post subject: Re: Boost timing Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:37 am

Boost timing is additional timing that is applied to the motor after a certain amount of rpms.

So if you're motor is at 20 degrees and you had 10 boost you'd have 30 total.

So going on that it is RPM dependant not throttle position
Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4james
I was looking on the Teamtekin.com forum and Randy had posted the following

Post subject: Re: Boost timing Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:37 am

Boost timing is additional timing that is applied to the motor after a certain amount of rpms.

So if you're motor is at 20 degrees and you had 10 boost you'd have 30 total.

So going on that it is RPM dependant not throttle position
Based on what I can see in operation, this is how I think it's working too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.