Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD) >

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would just like to say I thought this was a great event this is the first time I have ran event like this before . Everyone ther I talk to was more then willing to help you out the best way like could from set ups on your car to what gearing they was running . I learned more from the 5 days I was there then I have all year . so for the people know want to bad mouth everything grow up if we was running real stock cars do you really think everything would be like you wanted it . The track ,tires and everything else is the same for everyone . We honestly do this because we love and it is fun and if you are not having fun then maybe you should find something else to do because when it comes down to it that is really what it is all about
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

DAWN-- I agree the 10.5's have been listed but some of them are hard to find. They are listed under the mod motors as well which is confusing people and they don't have an inductance number with them for reference like the 13.5 and 17.5 do. Would there be a way to update the approved list and separate out the 10.5's just for this year and then toss them back in with the mods for next year?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yea what Rob Said. Also the racer was asked about and said he was "discharging it" which you do NOT have to have in a sack for that.

EA
Sounds like a loophole! Thanks for the clarification guys. The lipo sack rule is a bit of an annoyance (because Ive never actually read about a fire with any ROAR approved lipo batteries) but I will put up with a little annoyance for the ease of use of the lipo packs.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

a 10.5 is a modified motor, 08 is a transition year and the 10.5 is allowed to run as a SS motor, in 09 the SS motor is 13.5. That is why you do not see the reading for a mod motor. If a motor is protested in the 10.5 class it will most likly be torn down and unwound as per the rules.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Sounds like a loophole! Thanks for the clarification guys. The lipo sack rule is a bit of an annoyance (because Ive never actually read about a fire with any ROAR approved lipo batteries) but I will put up with a little annoyance for the ease of use of the lipo packs.
There were 2 nimh cells that blew on Wednesday that I heard in the pits. At the carpet nats a few nimh cells blew. So far I have not heard of a problem with lipo at a ROAR nat.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Suspended

I sure wished the audio would have work for the racing. I was talking to one of the guys that went and he said the place was nice and the racing went very well. I heard the racers had lots of fun and plenty of practice. It's nice to hear that they had sent a good RMT team that did their job and they were on top of their game with no major problems, except a couple little ones after the races. I heard it was handled by RMT director and the owner of the place.

Nice job to everybody that was involved at the race.

SteveO
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
There were 2 nimh cells that blew on Wednesday that I heard in the pits. At the carpet nats a few nimh cells blew. So far I have not heard of a problem with lipo at a ROAR nat.
There were 2..Just swelled..No fires lipo wife I knew of... Equal game..LOL
Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quinn.. Nice show, Rubin..Billy,Colton and locals great job. Hardest worker..NOT sitting in the AC the drink gal..
Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
There's a reason for that, good standards and testing, and this is the way we need to keep it.

I have my concerns, knowing that there are people pushing the charge limits and the pre race heating limits. This is racing and racers will always look for even the slightest advantages, unfortunately this advantage is flirting with fire. And as they say "when you play with fire you eventually get burned by fire". Lets just hope it's not your equipment going up in smoke when the guy next to you charges like a MORON!!! The racers need to accept responsibility for the actions and if you guys know who these guys are, it's time to out them. The ones pushing the charge limits, intentionally overcharging and heating packs to near dangerous temps aren't your friends in the pits. These are the guys that are going to screw up a good thing for those that play by the rules with this battery technology because they understand the possible consequences. It's either that or it'll be your gear that'll be on RCTECH or RC50.com up in smoke.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Tag
Quinn.. Nice show, Rubin..Billy,Colton and locals great job. Hardest worker..NOT sitting in the AC the drink gal..
Tag .... it was great to put faces to many of you guys here on RCTECH. Thanks for the props we try really hard and we care a lot about making these races the best we can for you the racer. Congrats on adding another title to the list and I hope to see you guys somewhere on the track again real soon..... BTW..... the drink girl was Q's girlfriend Victoria and yeah she busted her tail too!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schurcr
I love this ..... we've heard this time and time again. Lets create a national ranking and qualifying system. Sounds great and in theory it's an EXCELLENT idea but who's going to do the work of managing all the data? Who's going to enter all the data? I know myself as an Excomm member I'm about on the limit of how much time I can spend on ROAR without affecting my real job or my family. JIC you didn't know, my real JOB pays my bills. My ROAR Excomm gig is for the love and passion I have for this hobby.

If someone out there in this great old USA could devise a system that would manage the race data, results data, member data, not charge ROAR an arm and a leg (DONATE!!!!) and it was easy enough for all the region directors and/or track owner/directors to use then maybe just maybe we could have what many here want. But until a system is devised that doesn't already tax an overworked system it's going to be a hard one to swallow.
I hear what your saying and understand completely.(More than I can tell you.) I never said it would be a easy job, but I do think that the basic info is or was in place with ROAR at one time. Maybe this is part of what the membership is looking for in return for their membership fees, I dunno. I guess my intent with this idea was to make ROAR more than a rubber stamp of approval for rules and products. The idea is to try and get the pros out of stock,with some incentive given to them on their part, make a factory sponsorship mean something other than discounted items, and have a more manageable race for all to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling down ROAR or any of the people that volunteer their time for ROAR, I'm just bouncing ideas.

Thanks to all of the ROAR people for all the hard work you do.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Casper
DAWN-- I agree the 10.5's have been listed but some of them are hard to find. They are listed under the mod motors as well which is confusing people and they don't have an inductance number with them for reference like the 13.5 and 17.5 do. Would there be a way to update the approved list and separate out the 10.5's just for this year and then toss them back in with the mods for next year?
Casper .... the 10.5's are in there, you just have to read the descriptions. As has been said her 10.5 is for '08 ONLY!!!!. In 2009 ALL ROAR Super Stock classes will use 13.5 motors. That means one more ROAR race, off-road electric where 10.5;s will be used in Super Stock. There are no inductance numbers posted, we have data if needed. We do not check inductance on 10.5's in pretech, merly rotors and cans. If there is any questions the only recourse is a protest and complete tear down and destruction of almost any brushless motor to unwind the stator. Most of the BL motor stators are being completly epoxied, even over nodal ring. There is only one mfr that I am aware of that does not. To cheat with one of the epoxied motors would be crazy and nearly impossible to do so without visual signs.

Modified 2/5/2008 Novak Novak 3410SS 10.5 Pro
Modified 2/27/2008 Trinity Trinity TRI 10209 10.5 (green timing plate)
Modified 5/18/2008 Orion Orion Vortex 2008 Stock 10.5 P/N ORI28140
Modified 2/25/2008 Hacker Hacker Brushless USA E40 (any wind)
Modified 7/1/2007 LRP Associated/Reedy Vector X11 Brushless w/bonded or sintered rotor
Modified 2/25/2008 Speed Passion Schumacher USA Speed Passion Competition Series 13835 (any wind)

These are the approvals currently used for the 10.5's that were raced this past weekend in Jonesboro.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I hear what your saying and understand completely.(More than I can tell you.) I never said it would be a easy job, but I do think that the basic info is or was in place with ROAR at one time. Maybe this is part of what the membership is looking for in return for their membership fees, I dunno. I guess my intent with this idea was to make ROAR more than a rubber stamp of approval for rules and products. The idea is to try and get the pros out of stock,with some incentive given to them on their part, make a factory sponsorship mean something other than discounted items, and have a more manageable race for all to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling down ROAR or any of the people that volunteer their time for ROAR, I'm just bouncing ideas.

Thanks to all of the ROAR people for all the hard work you do.
Johnny .... no offense taken. I just wanted you to know that we have and are looking into this and we've had a lot of great ideas thrown our way on this. I to believe that it is needed and something that the membership would see great value in. The common hurddle we always come back to is who and how does this all get managed? If someone could help us with that part of it then I realy think we could get it done in a reasonable anount of time. But remember that mnagment solution has to be available to ROAR for the right price and that'll be the other hurddle.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
Casper .... the 10.5's are in there, you just have to read the descriptions. As has been said her 10.5 is for '08 ONLY!!!!. In 2009 ALL ROAR Super Stock classes will use 13.5 motors. That means one more ROAR race, off-road electric where 10.5;s will be used in Super Stock. There are no inductance numbers posted, we have data if needed. We do not check inductance on 10.5's in pretech, merly rotors and cans. If there is any questions the only recourse is a protest and complete tear down and destruction of almost any brushless motor to unwind the stator. Most of the BL motor stators are being completly epoxied, even over nodal ring. There is only one mfr that I am aware of that does not. To cheat with one of the epoxied motors would be crazy and nearly impossible to do so without visual signs.

Modified 2/5/2008 Novak Novak 3410SS 10.5 Pro
Modified 2/27/2008 Trinity Trinity TRI 10209 10.5 (green timing plate)
Modified 5/18/2008 Orion Orion Vortex 2008 Stock 10.5 P/N ORI28140
Modified 2/25/2008 Hacker Hacker Brushless USA E40 (any wind)
Modified 7/1/2007 LRP Associated/Reedy Vector X11 Brushless w/bonded or sintered rotor
Modified 2/25/2008 Speed Passion Schumacher USA Speed Passion Competition Series 13835 (any wind)

These are the approvals currently used for the 10.5's that were raced this past weekend in Jonesboro.
Thanks Ruben.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Legend

Default poo

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
If you are caught at a ROAR event charging a Lipo battery outside of a safety barrier device (lipo sack) - you will be disqualified from the event and asked to leave the premises.

Sometimes, reminders are helpful......

Still nothing to protect us from the real DANGER....
Nk Ml packs R still blowing up ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.