Search

Questions for R.O.A.R.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKA
And you too now huh?

Dodgeguy - I met you once at a race in parkersburg wv ( I think ) and can say I believe you to be a genuinely good guy. I'm unsure how that fits with your efforts here, its a bit confusing to me. But knowing you aren't the type to bash for sport I'd seriously recommend you try to get more involved in Roar. Email Dawn with your constructive comments, search for a way to get involved with a committee, or assisting your regional director. Take that step to do the very thing you keep stating is your intention - to provoke positive change. I'm sure in the long run it would be a win win.
Are you Tim's brother-in-law? I do not know who you are.

The answer to my question was not answered here on RCtech. I emailed Dawn about it. The thing I can not understand is the answer was a simple one. Yes or no. Why couldn't the official answer the question when I asked it online? It is not a secret.

I still think there are problems with ROAR. The biggest is the value for a $30 membership fee that $7 of it goes towards the insurance. Since none of the monies goes towards a National. But hey that is my opinion so I am sure some will blast me with theirs. The other $21 is high on the admin costs of the club.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think ROAR was $30 when I joined in 1998. Gas was about $1 a gallon, sometimes less. Now it's $3.50, and ROAR is still $30.

I guess that's a good thing.

I would like to see different improvements with ROAR *cough*national rankings*cough*, but I don't know if everything can be accomplished on a volunteer basis. Some great things, like the RMT, have happened, but entry fees on the nationals went up to cover this.

People either don't have the time or will to volunteer for stuff anymore. You can hardly get guys to lay down boards in a parking lot for the track they will race on, let alone get a commitment to work for ROAR.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:18 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
No, lol. I only know Tim from his work on the Electric Onroad Committee and I met him at Snowbirds once.

You and I raced at the same place in Parkersburg WV once. I was only bringing this up because I felt you were coming across online as a much different person than the superbly nice guy I met that day.

No matter though.

One of the things I find of great value for $30 is the product approvals like Scottrick mentioned. Also there is the generally accepted Rule Set upon which most every club has built their own rules. I don't know, could be just me but I think nit picking the value of a $30 Roar membership is a bit off track in a hobby where we pay twice that just to have a sweet paint job.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After seeing all of this.....I am definitaly going to join. No Sarcasm is intended in this post. I have watched attendance wither at several tracks due to the rules always being in flux. I think this is where Roar is very helpful and I plan to support for the betterment of our hobby.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Kevin,

It is smart comments like this that put the whole discussing in the wrong tone. Just because Keith asked you to get involved ,as I did, does not mean it was my grand idea.... or I am prompting him to tell you that. It is because he thinks you can do some good without pushing new members away in the process.

I am saying that from experience, just ask Bullfrog. I busted his chops about many different ROAR things, he said, hey, if you don't like it, get involved.... so I did.

I thought we had a good chat last week ( on the phone ), and think you have some really good ideas regarding membership. We did talk about how people read too much, or not the right intent out of posts, and I genuinely thought you had good intent for ROAR. The weekend goes by and you start right back on the same path... I am not saying you should not express your concerns, I though the hatchet was buried concerning this kind of tone ..on this thread.

I am not sure, or do I care to read back what answer you are talking about, but sometimes even if the answer is "yes", or "no" , there is more to it, and by answering as such in forums such as these can be problematic. We have proved it many times, even if the answer is concise, the logic clear, and the back round explored, people still do not like the answer and beat it past death. The type of communication vehicle is a Pandora's box of sort, and is impossible to infer the same tone and expression to people with such varied back rounds and experiences.

Back to the value thing.... It has been discussed so many times. There are a great deal of costs associated with running a national club, and you acknowledge that, but at the sometime you focus on the 7 Dollars of insurance as if that is the ONLY reason to join ROAR. Personally, I think it is more import to some, less to to others.

I know that the series that I race in, FSEARA, would not have existed for 28 years with out ROAR. The track we raced at this weekend, Daytona , Kraceway, Coral Springs, Village Raceway, all would not be able to hold races if it were not for that 7 dollars, as needing the secondary policy is the REQUIREMENT for racers to uses these facilities.

Other items, that are not so tangible, but are real values are product related. Without a baseline of rules for any given specific class, there would be chaos, and classes would die out before the market bore what the rules should be. This is a HUGE cost savings for the racer, as they would not have to be buying kit after kit to keep up . We have a version of that now in TC, but the kits are not NEEDED to participate, racers buy because they want the newest blah blah...

If you have more questions about value, as there are many more small items... please call me, you have my cell number. And if anyone else feels the need to ask questions, my cell number is on the ROAR site.

I will leave you with this... http://www.fseara.org/gallery/main.php

All of that not possible without ROAR < Especially Roly in the Sharks mouth, and Chesty getting the wing house girls digits...

Originally Posted by dodgeguy

The answer to my question was not answered here on RCtech. I emailed Dawn about it. The thing I can not understand is the answer was a simple one. Yes or no. Why couldn't the official answer the question when I asked it online? It is not a secret.

I still think there are problems with ROAR. The biggest is the value for a $30 membership fee that $7 of it goes towards the insurance. Since none of the monies goes towards a National. But hey that is my opinion so I am sure some will blast me with theirs. The other $21 is high on the admin costs of the club.

Last edited by TimPotter; 04-21-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JKA
Whoa up corndog. Its all good. lol
the name is NOT "corndog" and if by IT"S ALL GOOD you mean your sorry say so don't hide it. What I have seen here on this thread as a a new member has not in any manner impressed me wth the members of roar, and i am NOT talking about dawn ,but the other posts that ripped me a new one for not understanding. thanks for a great first experience with R.O.A.R., I am sure it is one I won't forget!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you think this is fun you should have seen Roar 3-4 years ago. Or anytime pre 2007 pretty much.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Hairy, I think you were just and innocent bystander that got hit by some spray in some other peoples pi$$ing contest. Don't know if would take any of what you read in this thread to heart or personal.

I am not currently a member of Roar so I dont speak for them. I have seen this in other forums though. It is all part of the whole internet forum experience. When I drove a truck we would call these folks "Radio Rambos" because they always talked a good game on the radio because they knew they would never stand face to face.

Same thing goes on here. People tend to think they dont have to be careful with what they say or how they say it because more than likely they will never be held accountable or have to confront the person(s) in the physical. Even though they don't remain truly anonymous they don't have that same concern as when talking face to face.

Let it roll off your back is my suggestion.....although you really didnt ask for it. How bout we make this one free of charge.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
the name is NOT "corndog" and if by IT"S ALL GOOD you mean your sorry say so don't hide it.
Wow... I'm an idiot for this but I can't help it...

By "Corndog" I meant quit acting like one...
By "Its all good" I meant don't flatter yourself to think any of this is about you.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKA

By "Its all good" I meant don't flatter yourself to think any of this is about you.
Deep Thoughts With Keith Allen.

I LOVE YOU MAN.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JKA

how nice now i am an idiot great
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Why was this thread started again?

Oh yeah, $5....
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Why was this thread started again?

Oh yeah, $5....
you're the trouble maker ....stop!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

now its just hilarity ahahhahahahahahahahh come in here to laugh
Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hairy
you're the trouble maker ....stop!
A fact is trouble?

Your friend started this thread, you tried to defend him, then you wonder how you got drug into this. Don't play stupid when you know whats going on. Don't act innocent. Your as guilty as every person on this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.