Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Turbo 35 GFX Help! >

Turbo 35 GFX Help!

Turbo 35 GFX Help!

Old 07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Turbo 35 GFX Help!

This past weekend at the FSEARA state race I picked up a used GFX for $345 and am totally clueless as to all of it's features, mind you it did not come with an instruction manual. I have never owned Competition Electronics charger before, so I am not familiar at all with any of the features. Is there some sort of users guide that I can download or something along those lines?

Anyways, i've got a few questions:

1) For the motor run in mode, what should I set the volts at? Does the type of motor I use determine the volts I set it at? Also, if i'm breaking in a new motor or new brushes or something of the sort, how many minutes should I set the run in session for?

2) What is the data mode with graphs and all that? How do I use it?

3) What should I set the peak detection voltage to for 3000 and 3300 packs? I'm not familiar with the .03, .04, etc. system since i've been using a Reedy Quasar charger.

4) What is the TurboFlex mode? Do I want it on or off? If on, what should the level be set at?

5) What is "Long Lockout?" Do I want it on or off?

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

You got yourself a great charger! just go here http://www.competitionelectronics.com/gfx.htm there is a link at the bottom of the page for the instructions. Enjoy!!

Matt
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Here you go, I have attached the instruction manual for the Turbo 35 GFX from their website. Hope it helps you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gfx op ins.pdf (161.4 KB, 179 views)
Old 07-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys, most of my questions were answered, but I still have a few...

1) What peak detection voltage should I set it at for 3000's?

2) I still don't know about the motor run in mode even after reading the PDF file, what should I set the volts at for running in a new stock motor? Does the type of motor I use determine the volts I set it at? Also, if i'm breaking in a new motor or new brushes or something of the sort, how many minutes should I set the run in session for?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

The promatch website recomends a cut off of .04-.05 which is what I have used and have had no complaints with the preformance of my batteries. As far as breaking in a new motor, in the old days of racing I would use 2 D-cell batteries about 2.4 volts, I carried this over the the GFX and use and use about 2.5 volts for a few minutes. It has worked for me just fine but I am sure you will be able to find a 100 diffrent answers concering motor break in. If you don't already I would check out this board...http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...php?forumid=19 do a search for motor break-in. It is THE board to goto for motor information.

Hope this helps
Matt
Old 07-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Turbo 35 GFX Help!

ACCORD:

DATA MODE: - the data that was gathered like mah, RIR, AIR, input voltage, peak voltage and all that is contained here

3000 NiMH - SMH .02
- UMH / others - .03

3300 Nimh - .04

TURBOFLEX - only used for older NICAD's only. Not for NIMH

LONGLOCKOUT - during the lockout period, the GFX will ignore any voltage drops, to avoid "false peaks" which sometimes occur when the batts are fully discharged. for the batts that don't false peak the standard 60 sec lockout is ok... use the long lock out if the battery consitently "false peaks"
Old 07-23-2003, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

accord

you got one hell of a charger... one of the guys i race with uses it and its hell a sweet!!!!

good luck with it!!!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:09 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

There is no exact answer to your question on using the motor mode...everyone does it slightly different. The principle of the mode is that it will put X volts out for Y seconds...whilst doing that it will measure the amps being drawn by the motor. For run in I normally use 3v 180sec...check that the brushes are fully seated after that....if not then continue with a second run. For powering a lathe you may want to use 4.5v etc......