Wiki Posts
Search

hey onroaders help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hey onroaders help

i need some thoughts on road tires for my xxxt was using foams but they wear to fast and tryed speedpaws but they were to slippy they were used but great tread (do they lose tackyness?) like new and i don't know the compound foams i was using butthey hookup good just can't aford to buy them for me and my son every week
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi god
i need some thoughts on road tires for my xxxt was using foams but they wear to fast and tryed speedpaws but they were to slippy they were used but great tread (do they lose tackyness?) like new and i don't know the compound foams i was using butthey hookup good just can't aford to buy them for me and my son every week
Clean the tires and apply traction compound to see what that does.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Give us some more info:

What is the track surface?
How powerful is the car?
Are you spinning out the foam tires?
Are you truing down the foams? How far?
Do you CA the sidewalls?
How many quals/mains per week?
How long are the quals/mains?
What is the foam compound? IT MATTERS!

My son and I ran foams on an asphalt parking lot track weekly last year. A set of foams would last 3-4 weeks of racing 2 quals and a Main each week.

If you are 'grinding' down a set of foams each week, something is wrong.

Let us know...
Allan
Old 04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

ok track is a asphalt parking lot using stock motors ocasonaly a 13 turn mod using in a xxxt and to the guy saying to use traction compound well don't want to use foams any more could strikers be my best bet
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

plus my foams were half worn and true when i got them i just think they wear to fast im lookin for somthing to last a little longer with the grip of the foams just something for me and my son to play around with in a parking lot
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I completely understand where you're at. My 11 yr old and I started racing last year and had the same issues.

Don't take this the wrong way, I mean it with respect...

If you want a car that runs 'on rails' race slot cars. What I mean, is that in ANY 1:1 racing, the ratio between power and traction is not equal. The same is true in RC with regard to traction. The skill comes in with throttle control. One of our racing classes is 5th scale F1s with treaded rubber tires on asphalt. If there is too much transmitter throttle used at the wrong time, the back end kicks out and you are doing donuts. The same is true with brakes. Traction Control of any RC vehicle is mostly in the transmitter and partly with chemical grip.

Traction is a relative term to mechanical grip, aeordynamic grip and throttle control. The concept of throttle control might even help conserve your tires.

Hope this helps
Allan
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Centerline Racing
I completely understand where you're at. My 11 yr old and I started racing last year and had the same issues.

Don't take this the wrong way, I mean it with respect...

If you want a car that runs 'on rails' race slot cars. What I mean, is that in ANY 1:1 racing, the ratio between power and traction is not equal. The same is true in RC with regard to traction. The skill comes in with throttle control. One of our racing classes is 5th scale F1s with treaded rubber tires on asphalt. If there is too much transmitter throttle used at the wrong time, the back end kicks out and you are doing donuts. The same is true with brakes. Traction Control of any RC vehicle is mostly in the transmitter and partly with chemical grip.

Traction is a relative term to mechanical grip, aeordynamic grip and throttle control. The concept of throttle control might even help conserve your tires.

Hope this helps
Allan
yes i know what you mean but with the foams it is a controled slide action also i have drivin sportsman mods on clay oval and rcs on clay i like to slide not chunk tires