R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI PRO 2 Gear Settings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/21574-hpi-pro-2-gear-settings.html)

war11x 07-20-2003 04:14 AM

HPI PRO 2 Gear Settings

can any one help me on some gear setting for my HPI PRO2
Iam running a Stock Trinity Monster Pro 2 with a GMV12 ESC , Fast Tyres front 26mm and rear 26mm wide (cars gear ratio is 2.2)
currently i am running with a 26 pinion and a 81 Spur however i cant seem to keep up with other cars running the same type of motor
any help would be great
cheers
war11x

fatdoggy 07-20-2003 04:57 AM

The normal internal gear ratio for the pro2 is 2.1, have you changed the pulley's?

Anyway that dosn't matter, does the car top out or does it keep excellerating and not top out?

If it tops out then put in either a larger spur or a larger pinion. If it doesn't top out and you need more excelleration put in either a smaller spur or pinion. Don't go too crazy or you could fry your motor or your electronics. Just changing the pinion is probably the easiest, just go down or up a tooth (depending on what is needed) and you should feel the difference.

If your motor needs a cut and brush change then that could be part of it.

war11x 07-20-2003 06:13 PM

cheers fatdoggy
my motor has only run 2 meets and will be commed soon , at this stage it looks and feels if the motor does not have the top end speed it pulls out of the corners pretty good but loses its legs on the straight ( the motor does not get very hot ) yes i was incorrect saying that the ratio is 2.2 ( my Yokomo is 2.2 ) when as you correctly pick me up on my HPI is 2.1 :) :) :)
how ever my issue has been since i bought the motor and installed it into my car
i have played with may a ratio drive and still getting beaten by 3/4 meters
i am at the point of purchasing another motor if i can not sort it out :( :(
do you or any one know of a site where they have recomended gear setups for motors or maybe even some set up sheets from some state / country races
cheers
war11ix

WC 07-20-2003 07:22 PM

How big is your track?? Might be an idea to ask what gearing the other guys are using too, as a starting point.

Although the Monster is a high-rev motor, it can probably pull something slightly higher than 6.54:1 on a large track. The guys here run in the high fives even...

Bear in mind the Monsters are pretty *variable*. One motor can perform entirely differently to another from the same batch. If you have more than 1 Monster, good tip is to write the sweetspot ratio on each can as you find it.

Good batteries also do make a difference, if you're talking only a deficit of 4' by the end of the straight. Expensive fix, but them's the fighting facts. You'd better not be using Jaycrap no-label 2700s!! :(

fatdoggy 07-20-2003 07:41 PM

What is the lowest gear ratio you've gone down to? The gear ratio your running now is a 6.54. I'm running a 5.84 gear ratio with my MVP but gearing that low might kill a monster stock? I'd say go lower then 6.54 and just make sure that your motor isn't too hot at the end of your runs.

It also might not be your motor, if your batt's are old that could be part of it or if your drive train has excessive drag(siezed bearings or such) then that could be the reason.

WC 07-21-2003 07:43 PM

Dusted off shelfqueen HPI, took it down off the shelf to remind
one what it looks like. Last touched so long ago, memory is
faded. :blush:

Methinks HPI has very stiff belts. Even with the belt tension cams
set to the loosest, the belts are very stiff and cause a lot of drag.

Drag is bad... :rolleyes:

On the NitroRS4 I know you can get low-friction drivebelts for it,
not sure if same applies with the 'lekkie RS4.

war11x 07-21-2003 08:01 PM

cheers guys

i have just ordered a 21 , 22, 23 pinion set along with 76,78 spure gears
i am hoping this will bring my rollout to around the 31.05 mark
as i have found some very helpful gear programe/s
:) :)
http://www.rcracing.com/Gear_Ratio_Program_1100.cfm
:nod: :nod:
to help dumb nuts like me :confused: :confused:
i will send a postout after testing this weekend
again thank you for your replies and advice being a L plater in this sport/ hobbymakes it a little hard somtimes , however being part of a local RC Club and having forums like this makes it that oh so much better
cheers
war11x

:D :D :D :D

fatdoggy 07-21-2003 08:03 PM

You should be able to sofen up the belts by soaking them in wd40.

war11x 07-21-2003 08:11 PM

yeh
i have heard that you can wipe WD40 onto your rubbers (tyres that is )to make them softer sticker so i will try this on my belts and see how / if it makes a change :nod:
:tire: :tire:
Cheers
WAR11X