Wiki Posts
Search

NiMh batteries (plz help!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
NiMh batteries (plz help!)

Well, I found something that I'm not too sure about. I just bought 4 sets of Reedy 3000mah World Class batteries. These will be my first NiMh batteries and I don't want to screw them up. I know I can't let these get hot, otherwise they will wear fast. Now, my question is, I will be running stock in Phoenix Arizona where it is 115 degrees. Do you think it will be ok to race during the summer with these, or should I just hold off until winter rolls around? I was thinking about mounting a fan inside my car like Barry Baker did at the Reedy race, but am not sure if it would be worth my time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks-Mike
Old 07-20-2003, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, that is pretty hot weather(personally I'd just stay home or race indoors, which is what I do here, lol), but I don't think your batteries will have too much trouble with it, if you're careful. I would be careful about gearing the car(if you're running mod), but for stock class I don't think you'll have any real problems. Batteries will warm up regardless of your precuations in a race situation(the cells' internal resistance contributes some to that), but I'd say as long as you can still hold them in your hand they'll be fine(that's how I judge it, worked well for me so far). The main thing to remember is how you charge them & that you don't completely dump them in the car(that could reverse a cell in the pack)......
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks so much. I'm buying Jack Smashes whole set-up, so I've got him to talk to, but I don't want to ask too many questions. I'm only using everything for racing, so as soon as I pull off the track out comes the battery. Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No prob, dude, anytime.....